PQIA tests seven more oils, 9/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of old guys are putting 10W30 in everything, no matter what it calls for.

One of the shops I've been to puts 10W30 in literally everything.

I thought they were crazy, but now I see the oil wisdom.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

One of the shops I've been to puts 10W30 in literary everything.

???

Why, because they might accidentally use PYB with an ultra low NOACK?

This isn't normal, that's why PQIA re-tested it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

???

+1 that shop is using 10w30 because it is usually the cheapest to buy, and it allows them to make more profit. They aren't using it because they know something we don't.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

???

+1 that shop is using 10w30 because it is usually the cheapest to buy, and it allows them to make more profit. They aren't using it because they know something we don't.

So they don't know about the NOACK and lower number of VI?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

???

So they don't know about the NOACK and lower number of VI?

No. They buy it because it is cheap.

Forgive my lack of knowledge..but is having a low noack the most important criteria? I am strongly considering buying pyb 10w30 because i finally manage to find this viscosity locally. Does a super low noack translate to a good hths ?

Originally Posted By: alcyon
Forgive my lack of knowledge..but is having a low noack the most important criteria? I am strongly considering buying pyb 10w30 because i finally manage to find this viscosity locally. Does a super low noack translate to a good hths ?

No. Those are unrelated. It just means the oil has very low volatility. But there is a limit on volatility; 15% for the API, 10% for most of the Euro marques.

In this particular case it is more a cool artifact than anything of real significance given how low it is.

A finished oil is more than a single metric and is a balancing act. Some features are more desirable however you've gotta look at the whole picture and not one aspect.
Low noack is nice however it's not the be all to end all. Like viscosity index. Depending on environment and operation conditions one takes that into consideration and chooses accordingly.
Not every all oils that fit in the same grade are equal. There can be significant differences so if unsure pay special attention to the certification,not "meets or exceeds".

No. Those are unrelated. It just means the oil has very low volatility. But there is a limit on volatility; 15% for the API, 10% for most of the Euro marques.

In this particular case it is more a cool artifact than anything of real significance given how low it is.

Exactly…..it's the reason we are suspicious the base oil is GTL, and low noack probably helps keep an engine clean, but it's not the fundamental reason why people are interested in the PYB. The reason is it's probably a GTL synthetic hiding in dino clothes. Maybe….

And even then, the add pack looks good and strong, but it hasn't been designed as a A3/B4 or MB 229.5 oil (TBN too low for one), so it shouldn't be treated like a MB 229.5 or A3/B4 oil. I know most know this, but just saying incase some readers get a little excited, and think the oil is more than what it is.

My car can run a 10W30 oil, but it requires A3/B4. This hasn't got it on the bottle, so I wouldn't use it. Not that I can get it here anyway. But I am vicariously excited for those that can get it at a good price and that can use it in their car.

To those folks who are saying, 'It's got a low Noack, so what?', I'd say this...

Yes, oil is more than just one parameter, but if I had to pick one parameter to judge an oil it would be Noack for a given viscosity grade. To understand why, you need to understand how base oil, DI & VII blend. Viscometric limits are generally fixed. Noack on the other hand 'floats'. Noack is high or low depending on the quality of the base oil used. The higher the Viscosity Index of the base oil used, the lower the Noack will be. However it doesn't stop there. The higher the VI of the base oils use means the higher the aggregate KV100 of the base oil mix (good for wear) and less VII polymer in the blend. The latter IMO is the crucial factor. In oil terms, you can view VII as 'the disease' and DI as 'the cure'. Typically formulators think in terms of 'more cure' but if you can reduce the severity of 'the disease', then the standard amount of DI you have in the oil does a better job of keeping the engine healthy.

Apologies for using far too much metaphor..

Thanks Joe90,

So regardless if the PYB is GTL or not, and reading your previous posts I think it is. This oil is still the pick of the conventionals because it's low noack pretty much shows it's a high quality product.

Only question is, how long will it stay like this?

A family member has a '97 Sable with the Ford 3.0 V6 Vulcan push rod engine in it ... Sweet little engine but has a fair ammount of oil usage over the life of the OCI ... Living in North Georgia I was thinking 5W30 PYB (engine calls for 5W30) would be fine but now re-thinking 10W30 PYB would probably be fine as well year round where I live with the benefit of a lower NOACK.

No. They buy it because it is cheap.
Whatever they do they're going to use a cheap oil. A cheap 10w-30 "may" be a better oil in use than a cheap 5w-30.

OK, which one or more of you guys went to my local WallyWorld and raided the shelves of PYB 10W30?
20.gif
06.gif
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Considering the difficulty in finding 30wt oils here..i am really tempted to try the pyb 10w30 instead of a shell acea a3/b3 5w30.

Mate, check out your Shell Helix / Ultra oils, if it has a piston logo with "Pure Plus Technology" on it, then it's a GTL oil.

Also A3/B4 oil has to pass many tests, shear stability, low noack, high TBN, min HTHS.

Does your car need A3/B4 ? If so I would spend a bit more coin and get a Shell Helix Ultra that is both GTL and A3/B4

Originally Posted By: SR5
Considering the difficulty in finding 30wt oils here..i am really tempted to try the pyb 10w30 instead of a shell acea a3/b3 5w30.

Mate, check out your Shell Helix / Ultra oils, if it has a piston logo with "Pure Plus Technology" on it, then it's a GTL oil.

Also A3/B4 oil has to pass many tests, shear stability, low noack, high TBN, min HTHS.

Does your car need A3/B4 ? If so I would spend a bit more coin and get a Shell Helix Ultra that is both GTL and A3/B4

I agree. Don't place all your eggs in the 'possibly' or even 'good probability' of GTL with PYB basket if you require A3/B4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back