API finds nearly half of certified oils have issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
The API has over 27,000 products licensed globally and analyzes over 1,000 samples annually to assure compliance. Recent results found that 46% of these samples had issues ranging from minor discrepancies to more serious viscosity and NOACK inconsistencies. Some 15% of the samples had "questionable additives" indicating a divergence from the original chemical fingerprints established during licensing.

API finds almost half of tested oils have issues

Back in the 60s a friend who was an engineer at Standard Oil of Ohio told me "everyone cheats on the additives but they don't all cheat on the same ones so it's good to rotate brands".
Many people here have argued in the past every jug of oil on the shelf is 100% the same. Impossible period.

I guess the only thing one can do is try and find a vehicle that wouldn't care if it was Castrol or Crisco in the crankcase these days.
Many people argue it's best to stick with one brand of oil for the life of the vehicle.
I always thought it was best to mix it up. If your favorite brand wasn't what it was certified to be or later caught up in a scandal you probably wouldn't have issues hopefully if you limited your use to just one specific brand. But if all brands cheat it's another story. Makes me think the same with Top Tier fuel. Seldom do you actually get what you pay for.

From the article: "With over 27,000 products licensed globally, the AMAP collects and analyzes over 1,000 samples annually. The recent findings revealed that 46% of these samples exhibited issues ranging from minor additive element reporting discrepancies to more concerning viscosity and NOACK volatility inconsistencies. Bachelder emphasized that while some non-conformities were minor, the prevalence of "questionable additives" in 15% of the samples indicated a divergence from the original chemical fingerprints established during licensing."

Do we know that (some of) the bad samples were from oils from American store shelves?

I'm a use any oil that meets API specs proponent. I'd be curious to know how the samples were selected. I know if I was selecting samples, I'd choose the least reputable brands and the short article points out that most of the issues were in the Asia-Pacific region and involved counterfeiting. I have faith in my Kirkland oil.

And the thread title is misleading. Nearly half of oil sampled had issues. It's very likely the sampling was not random but focused on suspect brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back