PQIA Test Results - AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil

Your disinterest is precisely why your comments are, in my opinion, out of line. Businesses are managed by people, especially small businesses. Amsoil is either a large "small business" or a "medium business", depending on how what definition you go with. Either way, your comments affect real people who have livelihoods. Yeah, you have a right to an opinion as a customer, but that doesn't automatically make your comments justified. If you don't feel anything about Amsoil at all, then you sure have a peculiar way of discussing the company. Your words drip with detestation and disdain, as if you have been personally wronged by them. Perhaps you're one for just getting carried away and don't give your words much thought? I don't know. But like I said, you've been incredibly one-sided. As for people liking your posts, so what? Are you saying that's somehow invalidating my points?
I think you're way overestimating the influence of my posts here and also taking my posts way too heavily. But this is a discussion board first and foremost. This is not an industry expo or a PR stunt for the oil companies. People on this forum talk about their favorite and least favorite products at the time, for a variety of different reasons. I'm no different in that regard. I praised Raybestos brakes in a different thread yesterday, for example.

Amsoil doesn't need my permission to market and sell this product, and I don't need their permission to reject their marketing and choose a different product. It's a two-way street.

Also my words are not dripping with distain and I can assure you that Amsoil has never wronged me up to this point.

What a waste of money for this stuff. It's $9.99 a quart. 50 bucks for five quarts of this, or you can get a jug of Pennzoil full synthetic at Walmart for less than half, and have the same experience.
Yes, but for an "economy line", this presents no value to the customer. It's cheap for Amsoil, but still expensive for motor oil. It's a cash grab, in hopes that people get all starry eyed at the brand and nothing else.

We're the customers. We're not allowed to call out when we're trying to be bamboozled? Amsoil isn't a charity. This oil is a ripoff.
I think it's pretty crappy that their quick lube oil is basically pulling a fast one on people. People see Amsoil signage and assume it's a top-tier product, because their marketing pushes themselves as the synthetics leader, but really they were/are getting a lower quality product. It's like if Mobil 1 had a secret quick lube specific brew of "Mobil 1", instead of calling it Mobil Special. Just my opinion.

And like you said, it's a compliant oil, nothing more, nothing less. Then why would a customer pay twice the price of other oils that reach the same performance targets? They're riding the coattails of the name.

I'm not wrapped up either, same here. I'm just against products that ride the coattails of a reputation and charge out the nose for just the name and perception.

I don't see how any of us win when we cave to buying an oil like that. If anything, that sets a precedent that more oils can be up-charging us for merely perceived benefits. No thanks.

5 separate posts in relatively quick succession saying these things. You and I have vastly different ideas of disdain, in that case.

I'm not replying to anyone on this thread, although I've read every post. I am an unapologetic loyal Amsoil customer and have been for 12+ years. My reasons for being loyal to Amsoil are absolutely purely personal. I used to travel (away from home) quite a bit for my job, while my wife held the fort down at home and my son was across the State attending college and it might be (and frequently was) months before I would see the cars I was maintaining.
I have done UOA in my vehicles since 2013, and Amsoil gave me faith proven over many UOA that I am not abusing or neglecting my vehicles by going 10-12-15K+ miles between oil changes. My login at Horizon shows a history of 40+ UOA on several vehicles. Anyone's opinion on BITOG matters not to me, Amsoil is a proven product, and if their formulas change, I'll know it shortly. Meanwhile, Amsoil Signature series is in all 5 vehicles in my family, and I don't like to change oil more than 5 times a year.

Last edited:
5 separate posts in relatively quick succession saying these things. You and I have vastly different ideas of disdain, in that case.
Are you also criticizing all of the members here that call Purolator oil filters "Tearolators"? Or those who show their "disdain" for Lucas products? Or when people show their disapproval of Hyundai engines for fuel dilution issues?

Are you also criticizing all of the members here that call Purolator oil filters "Tearolators"? Or those who show their "disdain" for Lucas products? Or when people show their disapproval of Hyundai engines for fuel dilution issues?
That's a pretty weak attempt at whataboutism. Purolator filters have been observed tearing in service, that's a concern. Lucas peddles bright stock with zero additives and chalk full of cheap VII as an "oil stabilizer", these are legitimate call-outs for deficiencies/QC issues or wholesale scams. Attempting to equate that with an oil that may not be a "good deal" isn't a great way to try and gain credibility or win over the audience IMHO.

If you had 15 different oil brand VOAs to compare without knowing the oil brand, how would you know which ones were the " boutique oils" and "better" than the others?

I'm only the potential customer in this equation, and while you're obviously right that customers shop differently for different reasons, several people have liked/agreed with my posts, and many people on this forum shop with the same mentality that I have about it and have for years.
What oil specs, if any, do you base your oil purchases on ... and why?

When does the cost out weigh the desired performance specifications?

As @OVERKILL stated, that's not a valid counterargument here. First, I don't frequent this forum enough to call out everyone that I think is wrong. I'd spend all my time here and honestly, it'd be pretty miserable. Second, as was stated, your position was purely subjective and based on what you believed to be a "good deal". IMO, I don't think your words were fair and I think they were out of line. That's my subjective opinion. You seem to have some trouble reconciling that.

What oil specs, if any, do you base your oil purchases on ... and why?

When does the cost out weigh the desired performance specifications?
^^^
This is a great question.

Back