PP vs Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

...... don't you think a 25% blend of Maxlife Syn with All Climate might be a good brew?
boo.gif

I'll bet Paul thinks you should substitute the All Climate with regular Maxlife.

Na, I am sticking with MC for a second OCI..it's that good.. Always at my Walmart and available in jugs and for a quickie dealer kill, get the filter there too. those Supertech ones. mhmmm i smell oil change coming up regardless !! happy times detour ahead!!

Quote:

Maxlife Syn is all over here in the Midwest. Every WM, and until recently, every AA. AA has it on closeout for 3.25 a quart. TallPaul, don't you think a 25% blend of Maxlife Syn with All Climate might be a good brew?
boo.gif

Regular Maxlife is so good that I think it would be hard to beat with an AC/Maxlife Synthetic brew. If anything I wonder if a quart of Amsoil PAO mixed into the AC would be a good brew. Maxlife has 12-22% PAO by MSDS. Valvo techs tell me Maxlife Synthetic has more PAO, but MSDS doesn't show it. If true, then either is a very nice brew. Adding either Maxlife to the All Climate will only dilute the PAO, which seems to be one of the blessings of Maxlife. Also will dilute the moly. I have about 28 quarts of Maxlife Synthetic and sometimes wonder what for (but that it was on clearance) since the regular Maxlife has performed so well for me on 5000 mile OCIs.

Quote:

Na, I am sticking with MC for a second OCI..it's that good.. Always at my Walmart and available in jugs and for a quickie dealer kill, get the filter there too. those Supertech ones. mhmmm i smell oil change coming up regardless !! happy times detour ahead!!

You're fine. Motorcraft oil is great stuff. I only don't use it because I am a Valvoline nut.

My Walmart stocks it at 4.49 a quart - perhaps the best synthetic bargain out there right now. I may have to go down there and clean them out today before the price jacks up.
drool.gif

I agree Maxlife synthetic can be hard to find, I run regular Maxlife in my 02 Grand Marquis 168,465mi and Penzoil Synthetic in my 02 Saturn SL2 82,320mi and have been happy with both. All autos use some oil it is just replaced by unburned fuel and other contaminates so the level seems to stay the same but there is a difference between normal and excess consumption. For an experiment I recently tried Supertech Synthetic in our Mercury after many miles of running MaxLife so far no leakage or excess consumption. Will send a sample to Blackstone for a UOA.

PP is an oil I'm considering for my Toyota because Maxlife syn doesn't meet ILSAC GF4.

But I have been running Maxlife Syn in my VW 1.8T sludge maker for the last 38,000 miles (it has 68,000 now). The engine runs beautifully and there is zero oil consumption. It should run for another 10 years on this oil. I've also tried various synthetics in my Volvo 850 turbo. It was consuming more than one quart of M1 0w-40 and maxlife syn. cut that in half.

does anyone have anything to comment about seals being damaged as a result switching from maxlife to another oil?

I don't believe there is any way Maxlife would damage seals, either in the using of it, or the switching away from it. Of course if you use it long enough to clean crud off the seals and thus reveal some seeps/leaks that would be sealed by the conditioning of the seal, but quit using it before the seals are reconditioned, then you might keep the seep/leak, at least for a while until you add some seal conditioner. I think that AutoRx is similar in that it may result in temorary leaks while the seals are being cleaned off and reconditioned.

That's over $6 per quart!!...plus shipping!!!
crazy.gif

You can get Amsoil or one of the other top shelf syns for that (or close).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back