Powermate generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have experience or opinions on this Powermate generator? Sorry I can't find a model number.

http://bgky.craigslist.org/grd/3346570116.html

I'm leaning towards a Briggs powered unit for parts availabilty. The Subaru powered models probably get better fuel economy and are less noisy but should it go down in a major power outage service parts could prove hard to find.

I have pretty much that exact generator. The engine on mine is a B&S Vanguard OHV engine. I think its a solid generator, not a bad price in CL. But it somewhat depends upon the engine as B&S and others make a few grades. Mine has an no-load idle which might be good on a construction site, but useless at home.

I have run mine 1/2 days for at least two 7 day periods, plus many other times for a few hours.

Does it have an hour meter? Mine does not.

Low hours and brushes replaced does not make sense. I have not touched mine.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have pretty much that exact generator. The engine on mine is a B&S Vanguard OHV engine. I think its a solid generator, not a bad price in CL. But it somewhat depends upon the engine as B&S and others make a few grades.
Low hours and brushes replaced does not make sense. I have not touched mine.

I'm not considering that particular generator just wondering about the model.

I doubt its a Vangard engine. Probably an Intek at best, or one of the 1650/1450 series as thet call them now to confuse things even further.

I would give it a thumbs up, just be sure they used a decent engine.

I assume a B&S Vanguard is a good engine, but has not been used in several years.

It looks like some of the newer Powermate generators have Subaru engines. And others have a Powermate engine which I assume is a China made engine.

But it does say made in the USA.

Powermates are actually not bad for consumer grade. They are made by Pramac who makes all kinds of industrial grade generators and other equipment. Obviously Powermates are going to be made to a consumer price point, but they aren't bad and you do get the expertise of a company that has been building industrial generators for a while.

When Powermate/Coleman went belly up, Subaru/Robin was their biggest creditor. Pramac walked in, took over the debt, bought out remaining assets and put their name on the product. I don't actually know if Pramac designed or actually make anything differently than before.

Powermates are fine for emergency/temporary power, and by "temporary" I mean for a few weeks of use when you actually need one after a storm/earthquake/tsunami/minor nuclear confrontation.

You find a lot of the older Coleman/Powermates with the old square alternators still running after a lot of years. Replace the brushes once in awhile, keep the endbell cool and they are usually reliable. I sometimes worry about brushless alternators/rotors cause when they have a problem, it is usually a major expense to fix, and the home user can't fix it in a hurry if need be. Simplicity is a plus.

Inverter generators are great, but do you need an expensive generator that you will use for emergency purposes only? That extra money you spend on an EU2000 can pay for a lot of gas, or even better, a natural gas/propane conversion to a tri-fuel unit.

Make darned sure if you need 240V to operate appliances or furnace blowers, or pumps that you get a unit that has a 240V output. That can be a problem with all but the largest inverter gennys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back