Power Steering squeal when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a vee belt, look at how much wear is on the pulleys.

A mechanic's stethoscope can help find noisy parts. All of $4 at Harbor Junk.

I have a 2002 F-150 I purchased new. The power steering with Ford Mercon squealed when real cold at first then it did it just when it was even cold. After 8 years I did fluid exchanges with Mobil 1 ATF and it worked and quieted it down. I would look at using a synthetic fluid for your power steering. Ironically my wife's 2005 Explorer with rack and pinion power steering never needed synthetic power steering fluid. It was quiet on the factory Mercon fill and stayed quiet on non synthetic Mercon refills.

Whimsey

Has the OP performed several drain and fills?

Just one is likely not enough.

Go through 2 quarts of Mercon V or Maxlife with some time in between to mix and clean.

Does it groan as well as squeal. My 97 F150 that I have owned since March 1996 has squealed and groaned since new. I change the PS fluid at every AT fluid change which is about every 35,000 miles. This truck just crossed over to 270,000 miles with original PS pump, gear and hoses. The noise has stayed the same since new when at 0 degrees or colder. I use Valvoline SynPower PS fluid. Maybe one day I'll try ATF. A few years ago, this truck sat for a week outside my pole barn in sub zero weather. I removed the serpentine belt. The next morning it was -11 degrees. I popped the hood and manually turned the PS pump pulley. It was considerably harder to turn. It got up to 32 degrees in the afternoon that day and it was very easy to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back