Potentially vs. Realistically

Status
Not open for further replies.
A young boy was given an assignment by his teacher to find out the difference between "Realistically and Potentially". So the boy went home to ask his father.

"Dad, what's the difference between realistically and potentially?"

The father thought about the question for a few moments then advised his son.

"Son, go ask your older sister if she would sleep with the mailman for a million dollars."

Confused the boy went to his sister, "Sis, would you sleep with the mailman for a million dollars?"

"[censored] yes!" the sister replied without hesitation. Satisfied with the answer he went and informed his father.

"OK, son. Now go and ask your mother the same question."

Still not knowing where his father was going with this he went to his mother, "Mom, would you sleep with the mailman for a million dollars?"

A bit taken aback by the question the mother answered after a moments thought, "Yes, I probably would."

So the boy went back to his father with the mother's response, but still he was confused, "Dad, what does all this have to do with 'potentially and realistically'?"

The father sat up in his chair and explained to the boy, "You see, son, POTENTIALLY we're sitting on 2 million dollars. REALISTICALLY, we're bunking with a couple of hookers."

Is that like, "Potentially my car will go a million miles without trouble but realistically I'll be asking for help from BITOG and spending tons of money on my car"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back