Post your self-destructing engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The block was made by Ford in Canada, shipped to Japan where Yamaha assembled them. But they used Ford's cams.

Yamaha basically made the head and put the motor together.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The block was made by Ford in Canada, shipped to Japan where Yamaha assembled them. But they used Ford's cams.

I always wondered how Yamaha could screw up a cam so badly.

Now I know, they didn't.

Who spec'd the cam (not manufactured) them though? Ford has been making OHC a lot longer than Yamaha, and this was a "new" issue. And of course Ford had no such issue with the Modular.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Now I know, they didn't.

The cams were actually made in the USA in Danville, IL. ThyssenKrupp is who made them. So they were not made by Ford either.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: horse123
Did someone already mention powerjoke 6.0? Had to have...

Yup, the International VT365 has already been mentioned, though the Maxxforce 7 should also be shoved in there, as it wasn't really any better and got markedly worse fuel economy to boot.

Emissions really screwed International. Their implementation of EGR was horrific.

Great engines when the emission equipment is removed.

I still think most of the 6.0 deaths were related to Fords junk coolant. Can't convince me G-05 is good coolant after having worked on few 6.0s

Now I know, they didn't.

The cams were actually made in the USA in Danville, IL. ThyssenKrupp is who made them. So they were not made by Ford either.

Oh my God! Those people make.....ELEVATORS!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

brick.gif

Now I know, they didn't.

The interior pieces on the later Jeep XJ Cherokees were made by a defense contractor. The interior pieces fall apart ...

Originally Posted By: CDX825

Yup, the International VT365 has already been mentioned, though the Maxxforce 7 should also be shoved in there, as it wasn't really any better and got markedly worse fuel economy to boot.

Emissions really screwed International. Their implementation of EGR was horrific.

I still think most of the 6.0 deaths were related to Fords junk coolant. Can't convince me G-05 is good coolant after having worked on few 6.0s

My buddy swapped in the Fleetguard Red into his 6.0L right after buying it. He still went through two EGR coolers before deleting the EGR from the engine, which immediately increased his fuel mileage by like 2MPG.

A LOT of them died from coolant ingestion after the cooler [censored] the bed.

He used to work on a LOT of school busses with the VT365 in them and Maxxforce 7 and the EGR coolers still failed on the VT365 in bus service, despite not having G05 in them.

My understanding is that the EGR cooler, particularly the earlier design, would cook the coolant, crud itself up with the fall out from the cooked coolant, which would then also plug the oil cooler. And once the EGR cooler started to go, it would cook the coolant at a much faster rate because of the reduction in flow. So it was an issue that compounded itself. With the EGR deleted, none of this happened.

EGR on a diesel is absolutely ridiculous. And the decrease in fuel mileage to lower the emissions seems counter-productive, as you are consuming more fuel so do the two not cancel each other out
21.gif

My buddy swapped in the Fleetguard Red into his 6.0L right after buying it. He still went through two EGR coolers before deleting the EGR from the engine, which immediately increased his fuel mileage by like 2MPG.

A LOT of them died from coolant ingestion after the cooler [censored] the bed.

He used to work on a LOT of school busses with the VT365 in them and Maxxforce 7 and the EGR coolers still failed on the VT365 in bus service, despite not having G05 in them.

My understanding is that the EGR cooler, particularly the earlier design, would cook the coolant, crud itself up with the fall out from the cooked coolant, which would then also plug the oil cooler. And once the EGR cooler started to go, it would cook the coolant at a much faster rate because of the reduction in flow. So it was an issue that compounded itself. With the EGR deleted, none of this happened.

EGR on a diesel is absolutely ridiculous. And the decrease in fuel mileage to lower the emissions seems counter-productive, as you are consuming more fuel so do the two not cancel each other out
21.gif

My favorite example:
Honda Civic HX capable of 55MPG highway - gross polluter
Ford Excursion V10 - 9MPG on a good day, downhill, with a tail wind - low emissions vehicle.

This is why when I have a discussion of good and bad engines, I have a few sub segments:
1. Engines that were good even when street legal
2. Engines that were only good with all the gadgetry removed
3. Engines that were good if you used some special replacement parts (Sort of like using ARP head studs in a 6.0 PSD)

It makes me think of what happened to some 1970s and 1980s gasoline engines.

5. Ford Triton 5.4 3v - Cam phasers, anyone? Or perhaps leaky injectors? How about spark plugs harder to change than most cylinder heads?

+1 on the 5.4 3V.
I bought a 07 F150 at auction for a song because it was making "phaser noise", so at least I went into this with my eyes open.
Pulled the valve covers and the #2 cylinder camshaft lobes were ground down causing the funky noises I found difficult to isolate and identify.
Next I tore down the front of the engine to find the timing chain tensioners had both blown their seals, which robbed the engine of oi pressure and no doubt caused the destruction of the top end of the right side head as well as other possible damage from metal shavings from the camshaft, yes a poor design.
Fortunately the spark plugs were easy because the previous owner had had them changed to the one piece Autolite brand.
No trouble from the injectors yet though, knock on wood.
Have replaced the 5.4 with a 4.6 2V and am having good luck with it for now, will probably rebuild the 5.4 when I know more about fixing the weak areas and swap it at a later time.

I got one: 1984 Ford Tempo, 2.3 L. Bought it for my then gf with about 80k miles. At 85k, miles, ring gear stripped out. Seems Ford forgot to harden the teeth. Soon after, tranny went too...

Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The point of buying a new car is so it isn't worn out and you don't have to add 2 quarts of oil every fill up.

Not really. The point of buying a new car is that you have a warranty to get things fixed when they go wrong.

New cars have design faults and manufacturing faults. Old cars wear out (because most of the ones with design and manufacturing faults were fixed or are in the scrapyard).

Also, a lot of the engine faults like oil consumption are probably due to the continual push for better fuel economy. Pistons get smaller, piston rings get lower tension, and oil gets thinner. Manufacturers wouldn't be pushing so hard if Obama and co weren't pushing for higher mpg.

Right. It's obamas fault.

You don't have a clue what your talking about.
I'm not defending obama. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who's elected in America the same agenda is pushed by a different face however to believe Obama is calling is the shots and higher mpg vehicles are his babies is absolutely laughable.
What nonsense news Are you listening too?

Sheeple

Today's cars are so much better than anything before 1996, The only complaint I have is the computerization of them. I wouldn't complain about that if I could access the computers.

2L turbo with +250hp and +30 mpg. Only maintenance is fluid changes. My '0* Accent gets +40 mpg and almost zero maintenance. Only been in the shop once with over 112k miles for a warranty item and that was a leaking axle seal.

And no rust. All my Fords rusted away in 15 years.

So far everything I have read here seems like a paragon of reliability compared to the Lotus 907 twin cam engine put in the Jensen Healey. Dealers were lucky if the car could make it out of the lot for a test drive. Lotus sold the engine to Jensen with no warranty, for good reason.

Now I know, they didn't.

Well there's your answer. ThyssenKrupp, German company and we all know the Germans are way over-rated as engineers.....arrogant [censored] as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Worst engine my family had, note to whole family abandoned doemestics in the late 70s only find the Japanese were actually worse junk.

Honda accords with the 1.6 litre cvcc stratifies charge.
Honda had no quality control and still boomdogled the stooge press over here and MT gave Accord as Car of the year LOL

Cams failed within 25K, headgasket at 45K and oil control rings shot at 60K.

Rotors warped every 25K miles and to replace the rotors you had to bust he front wheel bearings and press new ones in. THe front fenders rotted within 18 months and the rest of the car not long there after. The POS mikuni 3bl carb, another joke. I could go on and on, but IMHO Americans should of booted Honda out and never bought any of their junk because these cars were truly total junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back