Post your latest small engine oil change

I've got one of those on my rider and it's always made me a little nervous. I guess it keeps me checking the oil more often.
From what I've seen I'm thinking they just aren't tight enough from the factory. I've had to tighten many that I have found to be loose, but then they usually stay tight and never have an issue.
Are they easily replaced with something more robust? You've got me woryring about my JD D140 rider now.
Yeah I would just make sure it is tight to begin with, like I stated above about them seeming to be loose from the factory, and then maybe upgrade to the drain hose. I really like the one that @cptbarkey linked in his post above.

From what I've seen I'm thinking they just aren't tight enough from the factory. I've had to tighten many that I have found to be loose, but then they usually stay tight and never have an issue.

Yeah I would just make sure it is tight to begin with, like I stated above about them seeming to be loose from the factory, and then maybe upgrade to the drain hose. I really like the one that @cptbarkey linked in his post above.
Thanks. Mine isn't leaking after nine years so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Overnight lows in the teens here; I should probably charge the battery. It might be interesting to see if it will turn over in these temperatures with 15w-40 RT6 in the sump.

Thanks. Mine isn't leaking after nine years so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Overnight lows in the teens here; I should probably charge the battery. It might be interesting to see if it will turn over in these temperatures with 15w-40 RT6 in the sump.
It probably would. I'm doing an engine replacement on a Scag mower that was parked outside in our freezing temps. It currently has conventional 15w40 in the sump and has to turn hydro pumps with 15w40 in them as well. It turned over slow (both the battery and starter are a bit weak) but it did fire up so I could move it.

Gravely Pro Turn 260
Kohler ZT 740
Out: Franken-Blend
Off: Super Tech MP3614
In: Franken-Blend
On: FRAM TG3614
New Kohler Engine Air Filter & pre-filter
New Kohler 10 micron Fuel Filter

Lawn mowers. pressure washer , generators and irrigation wheel lines get either 5W-40 HDEO Rotella T6 or 0W-40 M1, depending what ever is on the shelf in the garage .

Thicker is better.
In general I agree for air cooled small engines, particularly in a use case such as a generator in the south exposed to high ambient temps.

With that said, some engines benefit from running a 10w30 such as the Kohler Commands with their hydraulic lifters. In some cases running a thicker weight oil especially in cooler temps can cause lifter tick. For Kohler Commands I try to run a 10w30 HDEO like Rotella T5 or Valvoline Premium Blue 10w30. A Euro 5w40 can work as well.

In general I agree for air cooled small engines, particularly in a use case such as a generator in the south exposed to high ambient temps.

With that said, some engines benefit from running a 10w30 such as the Kohler Commands with their hydraulic lifters. In some cases running a thicker weight oil especially in cooler temps can cause lifter tick. For Kohler Commands I try to run a 10w30 HDEO like Rotella T5 or Valvoline Premium Blue 10w30. A Euro 5w40 can work as well.
My Generac 22kw specifies 5W30 Synthetic. That’s what I put in at 25 hrs. I will probably go to a 5W40 Euro Oil for the next change.

Family I met a few years back decided to throw in the towel and pay for lawn care moving forward. So I got their problematic Timemaster for free!

Blade engagement belt is shredded. And it tends to turn off after 15 mins. Cleaned the carb and adjusted the ignition coil spacing. I fear it may just be a simple gas cap gone bad.

Oil out: unknown
Oil in: concoction of leftover 5w30 + 5w40

Now what to do with 2 timemasters?

1000001159.jpg

Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Riding mower
Out: T4 15W40, Kohler Filter, 45 hours
In: Mix of 50% 0W20 Total Quartz, 50% 5w40 Total Quartz, Fram Endurance 3614.

This is the MILs riding mower that I am repairing. The original drain loosened on its own and the mower lost all oil. Thankfully it was noticed, and parked until I was able to do a repair. I replaced the drain with a drain hose. I've done the same thing last year with a Craftsman riding mower that they are using until I return the Cub Cadet this summer.

View attachment 199237
I bought this mower a year ago - read up on the clean sheet Kohler and so far so good … Yesterday at TSC - I noticed CC following the trend of having a CC motor. Let me guess - China ? 🇨🇳

What about the newer Kohler 5400 series ? I have 0W40 in mine …

I always have used 10w30 in my Kohler Command powered walk behind mower as it has recoil start and it's a bear to pull the cord with heavier weight oil.

I always have used 10w30 in my Kohler Command powered walk behind mower as it has recoil start and it's a bear to pull the cord with heavier weight oil.
That’s normally where I draw the line (sorry) - pull start 5W …

JD Kawasaki 25 hp water cooled engine. Supertech filter, Valvoline European 5-40 oil on sale from WM.
Engine has about 1,400 hours on it. Always syn. No sludge or varnish seen through fill hole. Had valve cover off two years ago and looked like new.
IMG_0562.jpg

Pulled the neglected Honda mini tiller out of the shed out of boredom to get it working.

Out: unknown
In: 2 chugs of concoction of leftover oil. It holds all of 2.7 oz

What about the newer Kohler 5400 series ? I have 0W40 in mine …
Just saw this. Those 5400 series have a different design and should be fine with 0w40. I think 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic would probably work fine in a Command, but I have seen them tick when using a 15w40 or 20w50. My guess is the thicker weights don't get to the lifters as quickly in cooler temps.

Back