Post your latest small engine oil change

Kawa/Gravely ZT

At the 79 hour mark

Out: Carl's Mower and saw whatever junk bulk oil they put in my last "free" service last year

In: Amsoil 10W-30 Small engine oil

Draining the oil in the kinkable clear plastic tube is stupid, slow and incomplete

View attachment 208585
Try an oil extractor like the Mityvac and it'll change your life 😅 I use the 4 Uncle's extractor on Amazon. Just insert the tube, attach to air compressor, oil is sucked up in no time, no mess!

Out Traveler brand 30, in RK 30
Greased the drive axle bushings and checked the air filter.
20240323_112208.jpg

I bought a Duromax gernerator 9000IH a year ago. I put in Amsoil ACE. Stil not broken in. I have a Kawasaki FR730V Husqavarna riding mower. The Husqavarna manual says 10w-30, engine oil is best. The Husqavarna manual says 10w-40 is best. 14 hours on it now. I will be putting Amsoil ASF 10w-40 very soon.

I have an old riding mower w/newer Briggs 19 hp single cylinder {will be giving to my niece's boyfriend} Amsoil ASE 10w-30. The oil slinger on the old Briggs 17.5 hp single cylinder came apart on it. I was going to try repairing that motor, but, just bought a new Briggs for it. I beat the snot out of the old 17.5 hp.

I have a Honda brush cutter HHT35S Amsoil ASE. I have a pressure washer Honda GX160 Amsoil ASE. I changed pressure washer pump oil. I had put a new Cat pump on it. I put Amsoil compressor oil in it. My brother blew the old original pump up, Annovi Reverberi. I have run the Amsoil ASE 5w-30 when Amsoil only had automotive grade oil, before Amsoil came out with the Small Engine Oil line.

I used to beat the pulp out of walk behind mowers with that oil. Things have held up very well with Amsoil.

My neighbor who is pretty mechanically clueless brought his 4 cycle Ryobi line trimmer over and asked if I'd help him fix the pull cord. While I was working on it, I noticed it had an oil fill and I asked him if he changed the oil. He thought I was pranking him. When I showed him the itty bitty dip stick he said he'd been using 50:1 mix in it the whole time.

I dumped the oil out and got several tablespoons worth out. Pretty dark but not tar or anything. We googled it and found it took 2 ounces or a quarter cup of 20w-50. The plug looked nasty, too, from running 2 cycle mix for a few years in it.
I have occasionally run 2 cycle mix (40:1) in my Ryobi string trimmer. I change the oil annually with 15w40 HDEO. I agree, it calls for 20w50, but I can't be bothered to buy it when I have gallons of HDEO on hand.

Just my $0.02

Changed the oil in my JD LT150 today. I added this drain hose from Amazon to assist with making it easier. I don't like the 1/4 turn OEM solution.

Out: 2 quarts of Farm & Fleet HDEO 5W40 and a Motorcraft FL400 filter
In: 1-3/4 quarts of Farm & Fleet HDEO 5W40 and a Pure One filter (I used the smaller filter this time so a little less oil)

Just my $0.02

Husqvarna 22v46 riding mower with a 22 hp B&S engine. 240 hours on unit.

Usually gets 40-50 hours a season, and it gets changed every season.

Out/In - Briggs & Stratton small engine 30 wt and B&S filter

Husqvarna 22v46 riding mower with a 22 hp B&S engine. 240 hours on unit.

Usually gets 40-50 hours a season, and it gets changed every season.

Out/In - Briggs & Stratton small engine 30 wt and B&S filter
Glad to see that you keep your machine well maintained, but you could consider switching the filter to a Fram TG-3614 or equivalent (Wix 51348, etc.) and a full synthetic 10w-30 or 15w-40. Note that the Fram filter is half the price yet larger. It offers more dirt holding capacity and greater cooling effect. You may actually save a little money by doing this because B&S branded products are overpriced for what they are. Lately I've been using Shell Rotella 15w-40 RT6 and a Fram TG-3614 on that same motor. Mine has 271 hours on it and will see a change after a mow on the next good weekend.

Glad to see that you keep your machine well maintained, but you could consider switching the filter to a Fram TG-3614 or equivalent (Wix 51348, etc.) and a full synthetic 10w-30 or 15w-40. Note that the Fram filter is half the price yet larger. It offers more dirt holding capacity and greater cooling effect. You may actually save a little money by doing this because B&S branded products are overpriced for what they are. Lately I've been using Shell Rotella 15w-40 RT6 and a Fram TG-3614 on that same motor. Mine has 271 hours on it and will see a change after a mow on the next good weekend.
Appreciate the advice! I’ve got a couple more of the B&S filters left from a pack I bought a few years ago. Once I’m done with those I’ll for sure move to a larger filter.

How much oil if any does yours use during a season with the 15w-40?

How much oil if any does yours use during a season with the 15w-40?
None. Note that you should park the mower on a flat surface for at least two days before checking the oil level. When I first bought mine I thought it was using oil, only to realize that it takes a long time for the oil to get back to the sump. I've never needed to add oil to this machine after that realization.

Last edited:
None. Note that you should park the mower on a flat surface for at least two days before checking the oil level. When I first bought mine I thought it was using oil, only to realize that it takes a longe time for the oil to get back to the sump. I've never needed to add oil to this machine after that realization.

Yeah it takes awhile to get all the oil to drain into the engine for some reason. It's literally like "well I filled it up, guess I'll check it tomorrow to see if it's full"

For your viewing pleasure today we have a pair of auction found Briggs and Stratton model WI. Out RK 10-30 full syn used for testing and clean out. In RK 30 on both. The lever start one went from a serious oil burner dripping raw oil out of the muffler to just a slight haze visible. Compression is still low. Kick start is an earlier engine,has good compression, starts easier but is still a serious smoker. Looks like a set of rings for both.
20240327_144611.jpg
20240327_144530.jpg

Elderly neighbor came by asking for help getting a self propelled cable replaced on his AWD Husqvarna mower. Its been sitting for awhile and also wont start. Will try to troubleshoot it later after some googling.

Also offered to service his other newer Murray mower. Shook out the air filter, sharpened the blades. He should be good for another hot Texas season.

Out: what looked like factory fill.
In: Rotella T4 15w40

IMG_0118.jpeg

Last edited:
Back