Post your BULLETPROOF engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is just getting rid of my old 1993 Civic. That 1.6 liter engine has 300000+ on it and does not burn a drop of oil.

Game, set, Match...
grin.gif
cheers3.gif
wink.gif

LS powered Aircrafts

I believe that no engine less than "x" years old has reached an age where "bulletproof" applies.let's find that age.

I need a list of vehicles with the original engine no engine work (repairs) accessories not included(alt,A/C compressor etc.) or mods because the new parts like cams, lifters, rocker arms, fresh valve seals, all add to the life of the block/Heads.Head gaskets and upper/lower intake don't count as maint.,that's a repair.T-stat housing gasket is a maint as per t-stat change.

I'll start: 92 4.9 190k(I know,low mileage)still no repairs.
93 chevy G20 van 5.7 230k when i changed timing chain for PM purposes.Water pump at 211k so its 211k for the van.

Edit:19jacobob93 has the example top spot on an observed taxi 1.6 million km untouched/unopened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Here's a pic of my Australian Ford Falcon 4.0 SOHC I6.
These were designed to put up with any amount of abuse in any condition, and are up there with the Ford 300 I6 in terms of being unbreakable and they have a few other features too.
One of those features is the ability to run without coolant! They have a tripple layer steel head gasket which will never blow, and a cool feature where if all the coolant is lost they shut down 3 cylinders and use them to draw in cool air to cool the engine. I once burst a hose in the desert and drove 45 minutes with zero coolant thanks to this awesome feature!
Although I change my oil very regularly in mine, I know 2 other people with this car and engine that haven't changed their oil in 120,000kms and the other guy hasn't changed his in the 150,000kms he's had the car! It's enough to give any BITOGer a heart attack but both cars run perfect!
Mine has 200,000km and doesn't use a single drop of oil in the 10k OCI and still gives me 34mpg hwy.
I know of two of these cars that were ex taxis and one has 1.2 million KMs a d the other has 1.6 million KMs (1,000,000 miles!) both on their original unopened, untouched engines!
That's why I bought one and why I think these deserve to be on the list :p

Anybody know if this engine came in a USA model?

Nope it didn't! The Falcon and it's I6 never died in Australia, just modernised every few years! Ford's I6s in the US were replaced by smaller V6s a long lime ago. The last was the 300

The Jeep 4.0 with the exception of the torn piston skirts and cracked heads. The high moly in PYB seems to keep the aluminum wear somewhat down. That's the best we can do. Lol.

The older Renix 4.0s seem to be the toughest IMO. I think the additional crank time needed to start them along with their unrefined rumble makes them pretty cool.
laugh.gif

Economy Car: 1NZ-FE Found in Toyota Echo and Yaris. L15A found in Honda Fit/Jazz

Midsize Car: F22 Found in Hondas from the late 90s, EJ22 Found in Subarus from the 90s.Toyota 5SFE fround in Toyotas from the 90s.

Large Car: Ford 4.6 Found in Crown Vic, Ford F series, Ford E series, Mustang etc.

Diesel Pickup: Duramax.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I can't say I've ever seen an engine more indestructible than the Ford 300 inline 6.

Amen.

I've seen several from the early 1990s with main bearing issues.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Now we know that none are bulletproof (aka: 21 year old daughter-proof) BUT do you know of some engine series that just are tougher? I believe that Blackstone has rated the Toyota V6 3.4L a high performer for low wear and high miles of life.

I'm going to presume that since the OP referenced a 21 year old daughter as a reliability yardstick here, some of the references to older and/or larger engines (like the 300 Ford or a larger Cummins) may not be relevant to the OP's situation.

If the OP is, in fact, looking for engines to subject to a younger driver, then my own personal list includes some choices commonly found in vehicles a younger driver could afford (in alphabetical order by manufacturer):

General Motors Ecotec (some of them had timing chain issues, but for the most part, these will run for many hundreds of thousands of miles)

General Motors 3800 V-6 (assuming the intake manifold gasket situation has been taken care of)

Honda K20/K24 (generally extremely reliable, with the low maintenance nature of a timing chain)

Toyota NZ series (their 1.5L engine found in Prius, Echo, etc)

I doubt that many (or even any) of these will reach truly iconic status like a Stant-6 or Ford 300, but I would wager that they are proving to be just as durable, allowing for differences in appropriate application, etc.

Nissan:SR20 and VQ engines come to mind. Cheap, easy to work on, and built to handle lots of abuse.

Even the KA was a great engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Xeno
Nissan:SR20 and VQ engines come to mind. Cheap, easy to work on, and built to handle lots of abuse.

Unless your pre-cat goes bad.
grin.gif

I always notice how many long lasting engines are an I6.
I didn't see anyone mention the Chevy 250.

My personal favorite is a Chrysler 2.2

My current 2.2 Ecotec is chugging right along at 195k miles.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: Xeno

Unless your pre-cat goes bad.
grin.gif

Looks like it's a pretty limited failure though. On the QR, I'd say yes, but you fix that by getting a header.

1980s FIAT and Lancia engines, except the turbo and supercharged versions. Everything else in the car would rust, fall apart, or break, but the engine would still be running perfectly when you scrapped it...

The only one I had that failed was before I bought it, due to the previous owner not replacing the timing belt. A new set of valves, and it ran fine for another 50,000 miles until the body fell apart.

Another vote for the Honda D and B series. I had a B16A1 that was run fairly hard on the road, then after I sold it (with over 80k on it) it was turbocharged by the next owner and it continued to run without fault for several year until I lost track of it.

The twin cam D16 is equally unburstable.

The slant 6 gets my vote as the toughest USA made engine, The BMC "B" series for the toughest UK engine, and the Renault ohv engine from the early '70s as the toughst European engine.
I don't mean the engine which went the most miles, but the ones which kept on going despite rattling bearings, drinking oil and smoking like a steam engine.

Claud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back