Post your BULLETPROOF engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford 289,Chrysler 225,318. Ever notice how many vintage Mustangs,Falcons,Comets,Galaxies,Broncos still have their original 289s still installed? A very light,high revving,good performing engine that gets fair mileage. The Chrysler 318 back in the early 70s outperformed larger engines from their competition,all the while getting 18-19 mpg. The slant 6 was cast to be aluminum,so very thick build,and very low power output.Built like a tractor engine.Built to last.

I agree that the Ford 300 inline 6 is on this list.

The 3800 GM, the 4.3 GM, the Ford Lima 2.3 the Toyota 1zzfe and several Hondas can all do 300K.

A better question might be which engines were poorly designed...the OHC 6 in my 1968 Firebird would be one along with the aluminum/steel Chevy Vega 4.

Cummins 3.9l 4BT and the legendary Cummins 5.9l 6BT. No petrol engine can compare to these oil burning engines.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I'm surprised nobody said it yet.

Buick 3.8 minus the UIM/LIM and related Dexcool gasket issues.

GM LS series. Hot Rod put cheap turbos on a 4.8 (thought to be 5.3) and reliably pumped out around 1200HP on tons of dyno pulls.

I absolutely love the LS series.

You beat me too it! Those are my two.

Bulletproof is different to a lot of folks. I know some of the engines mentioned in this thread would live under normal conditions for ever. Not Mike Friend conditions, Track day, N20 runs, gas pedal is an on an off switch
smile.gif
My definition of bullet proof is how much can I squeeze out of it with mods for 150,000 to 200,000 miles without going into the internals. Like my old low 13 second 2001 Grand Prix S/C 3800, lot of mods, nothing internal, lots of boost lots of track time. A lot of engines can be bullet proof driving around day to day under normal driving conditions. You really find out how good an engine is when you are, how should I say it, mechanically insensitive.
smile.gif
D)

Originally Posted By: Turk
The 6.0L GM V8.

Had it in my 2006 GTO. Absolutely indestructible.

Another LS based engine.

The GM 3800 6 cylinder good power and not unheard of for them to get 30 mpg. Took GM 40 years to finally get it how they liked it. Its considered one of the top 10 engines of the the past 100 years.

Ford SOHC modular engines
GM 4.3L V6
GM 3.8L V6
Cummins ISB/B-series
7.3L DI powerstroke
6.6L Duramax
Ford 300 I6
Ford SOHC 2.3L...OHV 2.3L's are good to.
Toyota 1JZ/2JZ I6 engines
GM LS engines...(without AFM)
GM Iron Duke I4 engines
Toyota 22R/22RE
Honda F22 I4
Honda B16/B18/B20
Honda D16 I4

In no particular order. As a note to Blackstones findings....Some engines can "Trend" wear metals with no effect on longevity.

I agree, the 3.8 GM engine should have been mentioned earlier.

I will go with my beloved Honda 2.4L in my Japan-made CR-V. 215k and 10 years old, and good as new.

Here's a pic of my Australian Ford Falcon 4.0 SOHC I6.
These were designed to put up with any amount of abuse in any condition, and are up there with the Ford 300 I6 in terms of being unbreakable and they have a few other features too.
One of those features is the ability to run without coolant! They have a tripple layer steel head gasket which will never blow, and a cool feature where if all the coolant is lost they shut down 3 cylinders and use them to draw in cool air to cool the engine. I once burst a hose in the desert and drove 45 minutes with zero coolant thanks to this awesome feature!
Although I change my oil very regularly in mine, I know 2 other people with this car and engine that haven't changed their oil in 120,000kms and the other guy hasn't changed his in the 150,000kms he's had the car! It's enough to give any BITOGer a heart attack but both cars run perfect!
Mine has 200,000km and doesn't use a single drop of oil in the 10k OCI and still gives me 34mpg hwy.
I know of two of these cars that were ex taxis and one has 1.2 million KMs a d the other has 1.6 million KMs (1,000,000 miles!) both on their original unopened, untouched engines!
That's why I bought one and why I think these deserve to be on the list :p

Originally Posted By: redhat
I'm surprised nobody said it yet.

Buick 3.8 minus the UIM/LIM and related Dexcool gasket issues.

GM LS series. Hot Rod put cheap turbos on a 4.8 (thought to be 5.3) and reliably pumped out around 1200HP on tons of dyno pulls.

I absolutely love the LS series.

Pushrod V6, Sweetest feeling 6 banger of an engine, for the N/A variants it gave a pleasant acceleration but sounded quite mean at the same time. Supercharged was just amazing with all that torque steer
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I will go with my beloved Honda 2.4L in my Japan-made CR-V. 215k and 10 years old, and good as new.

+1

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Here's a pic of my Australian Ford Falcon 4.0 SOHC I6.
These were designed to put up with any amount of abuse in any condition, and are up there with the Ford 300 I6 in terms of being unbreakable and they have a few other features too.
One of those features is the ability to run without coolant! They have a tripple layer steel head gasket which will never blow, and a cool feature where if all the coolant is lost they shut down 3 cylinders and use them to draw in cool air to cool the engine. I once burst a hose in the desert and drove 45 minutes with zero coolant thanks to this awesome feature!
Although I change my oil very regularly in mine, I know 2 other people with this car and engine that haven't changed their oil in 120,000kms and the other guy hasn't changed his in the 150,000kms he's had the car! It's enough to give any BITOGer a heart attack but both cars run perfect!
Mine has 200,000km and doesn't use a single drop of oil in the 10k OCI and still gives me 34mpg hwy.
I know of two of these cars that were ex taxis and one has 1.2 million KMs a d the other has 1.6 million KMs (1,000,000 miles!) both on their original unopened, untouched engines!
That's why I bought one and why I think these deserve to be on the list :p

Anybody know if this engine came in a USA model?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We used a Toyota 4.7 V8 to replace an industrial engine in a mining operation that turns a ball mill. This is our second such application. If there is a severe classification for a motor vehicle I'd call this service brutal. This engine runs for 8-10 hours at a stretch, fully loaded at 4-5K rpm and we converted it to natural gas. This kind of load would kill an ordinary engine but this Toyota V8 is doing just fine. It has run the equivalent of 100K road miles so far pulling down a tremendous load. The clearance for the mechanical valve lifters is still in spec and it burns very little oil. We've added a larger sump (12 qts), an oil cooler and a larger coolant radiator with a big electric fan because this engine does not move. And we've added a great big paper element air cleaner and a larger than stock oil filter (Mobil 1, M1-209) and a bypass oil filter. For the cooling system we use distilled water and zinc chromate with a water soluble lubricant, a filter and a sacrificial disc. The oil is Red Line 10w-40 and we us no additives. We trust the oil to do it's job without us messing with it. The replacement industrial engine would have been $12K. So we went to the junk yard and got a Toyota pickup with the V8 engine that had about 10K miles before being totaled. You can do a lot with a welder, plasma cutter and some cutting and fitting.

This setup has now been copied by some of our friends in the same business and the results are very good. This is one very good engine.

This is obviously the most impressive example so far in this thread imo, my opinion may be biased because I own a vehicle with this engine. Not many out there could hold together this long under this kind of operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back