Plumbers putty vs modern sealants.

I’m changing out a sink drain and stopper. The brushed nickel coating on the original Delta drain assembly corroded after 12 years. I noticed the plumber did not use plumbers putty. Instead he used two weak sealants as well as the rubber gasket. A yellowish sealant was placed between the rubber gasket and the sink. A whitish translucent sealant was placed between the metal drain pipe and the hole in the sink.

I had to use a blade to cut the sealant underneath the sink, and there is a translucent weak sealant between the drain assembly and the sink where the drain assembly seals to the sink. The stuff underneath peeled off cleanly. Is this some sort of “ Improvement” over plumbers putty? I’m about to pull the sealant off the top side of the sink drain, but could also leave it there and put the new drain pipe in place. What say the Bittogers? Thanks. Here’s a few pics.

A5D179C6-02B2-4D0A-992A-4D896B8E05DB.jpeg
206CFAEA-E9F1-4084-ADAE-68C8963C7353.jpeg
392CD806-9CEB-46AD-A321-399632AAABB0.jpeg
9988248F-C393-4F89-B5E3-31A93F845CF7.jpeg

I decided to read the instructions. It says to use silicone around the top of the hole of the sink. Sounds pretty permanent, but if it’s weak enough silicone it would’t stick too hard. I easily pushed the drain pipe out and it came free at the metal flange. Wonder what he used.

C31F954D-D4D4-4040-B8CE-69A0A491D57A.jpeg
6C783A43-84C1-4F4E-BDFE-B0401DC54554.jpeg

I used plumbers putty when I renovated my bathrooms and installed Delta fixtures and drains a few years ago. They recommend silicone but since it's applied externally it 1) never looks good unless you are a very detail-oriented individual and 2) always seems to discolor over time. No issues with a thick bead of plumbers putty in either of my sinks. Same goes for tub drains.

Interesting. Although the instructions in your case say to use silicone I have never used silicone in that application. I always use plumber's putty and have never had a problem. If you ever have to redo the job, like you are doing right now, putty is way easier to clean up in my opinion so I would be inclined to stick with putty.

Old man story…
My dad bought a house in the 70s that was a plumber’s nightmare. The basement bathroom floor was poured by the “Crack Brothers” and it was uneven and cracking. My dad got fed up with the basement toilet leaking at the wax ring-seal and he decided to go a different route. He found that Big Lots had one pound tubes of blue Permatex Silicon on sale for $1.00 a tube. Needless to say the toilet was sealed to the drain pipe and floor. He sold the house with these types of repairs. I reckon the new owners found out if-when they remodeled etc… The septic tank would cause backups in the house often due to poor soil, drain field, and poor design. There were 5 of us kids living there so a lot of clothes washing went on. He made me dig a ditch across our backyard (as punishment) to the elementary school parking lot storm drain right next to our property. He ran the washing machine and dishwasher into a drain pipe out to that storm drain. Covered up the ditch across the yard, reseeded grass, and never looked back. The creek behind the school always had soap suds floating down stream….

I’m changing out a sink drain and stopper. The brushed nickel coating on the original Delta drain assembly corroded after 12 years. I noticed the plumber did not use plumbers putty. Instead he used two weak sealants as well as the rubber gasket. A yellowish sealant was placed between the rubber gasket and the sink. A whitish translucent sealant was placed between the metal drain pipe and the hole in the sink.

I had to use a blade to cut the sealant underneath the sink, and there is a translucent weak sealant between the drain assembly and the sink where the drain assembly seals to the sink. The stuff underneath peeled off cleanly. Is this some sort of “ Improvement” over plumbers putty? I’m about to pull the sealant off the top side of the sink drain, but could also leave it there and put the new drain pipe in place. What say the Bittogers? Thanks. Here’s a few pics.

View attachment 193277View attachment 193278View attachment 193279View attachment 193280
Plumbers putty would be my choice. Little bit goes a long way

Old man story…
My dad bought a house in the 70s that was a plumber’s nightmare. The basement bathroom floor was poured by the “Crack Brothers” and it was uneven and cracking. My dad got fed up with the basement toilet leaking at the wax ring-seal and he decided to go a different route. He found that Big Lots had one pound tubes of blue Permatex Silicon on sale for $1.00 a tube. Needless to say the toilet was sealed to the drain pipe and floor. He sold the house with these types of repairs. I reckon the new owners found out if-when they remodeled etc… The septic tank would cause backups in the house often due to poor soil, drain field, and poor design. There were 5 of us kids living there so a lot of clothes washing went on. He made me dig a ditch across our backyard (as punishment) to the elementary school parking lot storm drain right next to our property. He ran the washing machine and dishwasher into a drain pipe out to that storm drain. Covered up the ditch across the yard, reseeded grass, and never looked back. The creek behind the school always had soap suds floating down stream….
Hahaha. My dad did the ditch technique in the trailer we had growing up. Across the driveway and out down the hillside into the ditch by the neighbor's driveway (neighbor was ok with this). One year during a Memorial Day family function, he screwed up and put the bonfire on top of the drain line. It melted. He was complaining about all the long haired kids and teens that used that shower over the weekend for clogging the line with hair...til he got that far digging the ditch and found the melted spot (2-3 ft of flat PVC lol).

Hahaha. My dad did the ditch technique in the trailer we had growing up. Across the driveway and out down the hillside into the ditch by the neighbor's driveway (neighbor was ok with this). One year during a Memorial Day family function, he screwed up and put the bonfire on top of the drain line. It melted. He was complaining about all the long haired kids and teens that used that shower over the weekend for clogging the line with hair...til he got that far digging the ditch and found the melted spot (2-3 ft of flat PVC lol).
Yes. I had 4 sisters and a brother. In the 70s even us boys had long hair. Plumbing issues were nonstop.

They do have 30 minute shower ready silicone but still no fan when it comes to setting plumbing fixtures. Since silicone could discolor certain metals, plumbers putty is a smarter choice and if you go with non staining plumbers putty no worries with it harming and discoloring certain stone tops.

Back