Please help me find a good oil for my application

I thought the Dominator line was no-VII or at least that's what I was thinking of here?
Pablo will be able to straighten us both out. I've personally never heard of any other oil line being advertised as No VII other than HPL, but that doesn't mean they've never been done in the multigrade era. Marketers maybe thought it didn't mean anything valuable worth talking about.

Pablo will be able to straighten us both out. I've personally never heard of any other oil line being advertised as No VII other than HPL, but that doesn't mean they've never been done in the multigrade era. Marketers maybe thought it didn't mean anything valuable worth talking about.
It's advertised as being "robust formulation resists viscosity loss" - maybe I just interpreted it that way.

It's advertised as being "robust formulation resists viscosity loss" - maybe I just interpreted it that way.
It's certainly possible; if you look at my thread of all the 75w90 gear oils and the testing results I posted, the Severe Gear had a viscosity loss of only 0.06% from mechanical shear (the board darling, Mobil 1, lost 8% by comparison!!) which was unmatched by ANY other gear oil tested with that group. I'd say it's good evidence that Amsoil knows what they're doing with gear oils!
1692300329325.jpg

Well I still got to get though my last 6 quarts of PUP. So I guess I’ll have time to decide between the Mobil 1 0w40 or the ESP 5w30.

In the meantime. Here are a few pictures of the car.
I’ve been running PUP in my wife’s ‘13 Fusion 2.0 EB for the last 40k miles with no issues(180k on it currently). Car used to commute 25-30mi each way in wide open hwy. ran Amsoil SS 5/30 on 10k OCI’s. When the commute shortened to 9-10mi each way in heavy traffic, I switched to PUP 5/30 on 5k OCI’s. Now the poor thing only commutes about 2-3mi & is used for the occasional extended trip to the central coast (5hrs). This next oil change will be with HPL PCMO 5/30 at their recommendation. I was expecting the No VII or other as the recommended oil but HPL felt confident in the PCMO 5/30.

In short, I wouldn’t worry too much about the PUP in oil pan right now. It’s a good oil.

I’ve been running PUP in my wife’s ‘13 Fusion 2.0 EB for the last 40k miles with no issues(180k on it currently). Car used to commute 25-30mi each way in wide open hwy. ran Amsoil SS 5/30 on 10k OCI’s. When the commute shortened to 9-10mi each way in heavy traffic, I switched to PUP 5/30 on 5k OCI’s. Now the poor thing only commutes about 2-3mi & is used for the occasional extended trip to the central coast (5hrs). This next oil change will be with HPL PCMO 5/30 at their recommendation. I was expecting the No VII or other as the recommended oil but HPL felt confident in the PCMO 5/30.

In short, I wouldn’t worry too much about the PUP in oil pan right now. It’s a good oil.

I have no doubt that PU is a quality oil. I’m glad to hear that it has worked well for your ecoboost. And if I didn’t have an engine that is hard on oil I’d stick with it. Just wanted to go with something a bit thicker and higher HTHS.

I have no doubt that PU is a quality oil. I’m glad to hear that it has worked well for your ecoboost. And if I didn’t have an engine that is hard on oil I’d stick with it. Just wanted to go with something a bit thicker and higher HTHS.
Understand. That’s why with my wife’s short trips we’re moving to HPL. There’s probably a few euro blends that can do just fine for less but supporting a sponsor & small business is worth the added expense to me.

Then you have your answer.

So upon further research it appears that my 2.0 ecoboost in my ST uses a flat tappet cam. When the new low saps euro oils started coming out there were warnings issued not to use on older flat tappet engine designs. The general consensus is it looks like higher ZDDP add packs are better for flat tappets.

Should I go ahead and rule out the use of mobil 1 ESP line in favor of a full saps oil with higher ZDDP?

Mobil 1 0w40 would seem to be better. But for some reason people on the focus ST forums seem to like to stick to 5w30. Something about tight engine clearances and oil fittings in the turbo not liking thicker oils. Not sure how true this is.

Also Mobil 1 0w40 seems to be thicker than it used to be it is now KV 13.8 at 100c

So upon further research it appears that my 2.0 ecoboost in my ST uses a flat tappet cam. When the new low saps euro oils started coming out there were warnings issued not to use on older flat tappet engine designs. The general consensus is it looks like higher ZDDP add packs are better for flat tappets.

Should I go ahead and rule out the use of mobil 1 ESP line in favor of a full saps oil with higher ZDDP?

Mobil 1 0w40 would seem to be better. But for some reason people on the focus ST forums seem to like to stick to 5w30. Something about tight engine clearances and oil fittings in the turbo not liking thicker oils. Not sure how true this is.

Also Mobil 1 0w40 seems to be thicker than it used to be it is now KV 13.8 at 100c
Oil molecules are oil molecules
..whether it's a 0W16 or 5W40. That is internet bro-science. Use the 40 if you want.

Does anyone on here have knowledge of the ecoboost platform and its flat tappet design?

Surely it’s not like the old school engines that required a ton of ZDDP.

It looks like the specs on the Mobil 1 esp 5w30 is 900ppm zinc. I know in the old days the recommendation was 1200ppm ZDDP for flat tappet cams.

I’d like to stay with a 5w30 weight if possible.

Other oils I would consider would be pennzoil euro 5w30 the full saps version not the euro L. But I believe it has a good bit of calcium in it and that was something I wanted to try to avoid on the TGDI engine.

Possibly the castrol edge 5w30 a3/b4 full saps.

Neither of these oils are API SP rated like the ESP 5w30. So I don’t know if they offer the LSPI and timing chain wear protection I was looking for.

Does anyone on here have knowledge of the ecoboost platform and its flat tappet design?

Surely it’s not like the old school engines that required a ton of ZDDP.

It looks like the specs on the Mobil 1 esp 5w30 is 900ppm zinc. I know in the old days the recommendation was 1200ppm ZDDP for flat tappet cams.

I’d like to stay with a 5w30 weight if possible.

Other oils I would consider would be pennzoil euro 5w30 the full saps version not the euro L. But I believe it has a good bit of calcium in it and that was something I wanted to try to avoid on the TGDI engine.

Possibly the castrol edge 5w30 a3/b4 full saps.

Neither of these oils are API SP rated like the ESP 5w30. So I don’t know if they offer the LSPI and timing chain wear protection I was looking for.
Ford would have taken this all into account with their recommended oil/approvals/certs/etc. for this engine. LSPI is just not a thing with this engine so I wouldn't worry about that w/r to making a decision.

Ford would have taken this all into account with their recommended oil/approvals/certs/etc. for this engine. LSPI is just not a thing with this engine so I wouldn't worry about that w/r to making a decision.

After looking at the ford specs for my engine.. the motor craft spec oil for the 2.0 ecoboost has even less ZDDP than the Mobil ESP 5w30. So it seems lower ZDDP oils a a non issue.

Hopefully some day you will make a decision and actually purchase and use one of the many choices.

Before you run out of questions.

Well there just seem to be several good options.

1.Mobil 1 ESP 5w30
2. Pennzoil euro L 5w30
3. Pennzoil euro 5w30 a3/b4
4. Castrol edge euro 5w30 a3/b4

The last two being full saps so I know they are different than the euro L and the ESP.

Would my engine notice a difference between any of these? Are any of these better than the others?

Flat tappet Cam, I will bet money that you have a Roller Cam! Hello Car54!

I think the cat concern with full SAPS is unfounded - lots of cars running this stuff or the last 20+ years and no cat issues I've ever read about.
That is what I was wondering. If it is poisoning the cats, how long before you can tell damage is occurring, if it is occurring etc….if anyone knows or has insight

That is what I was wondering. If it is poisoning the cats, how long before you can tell damage is occurring, if it is occurring etc….if anyone knows or has insight
Bad smells, loss of power are a couple symptoms

Back