Please, Help me choose one. GC vs M1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this newb question sounds silly and lazy, but I want to get smart BITOG guys' advices.

Car is 05 Hyundai Lavita, engine is 1.6L L-4 cyl, putting out about 110hp. Car has 25,000 miles on it right now.

I drive around 35 miles a day, 4~5 days a week, about 70~80% of the trip is highway.. I don't speed much, rarely do I get above 90mph, stays around 2800~2900rpm on the highway, and rarely do I go above 3000rpm before I shift, although, sometimes, above those numbers which I described above in busy time.

Until now, I have put M1 0-40 into my car and got satisfactory results. But, I think I'v had enough of M1. I mean I wanna take another oil challenge. Although, Somebody told me I'd better stick to a Good oil, good brand which is suitable for my car, like M1, I can not shake myself free from the temptation to use new good oil, like GC.

Money is not an issue, and I am confused a little.
Which one is better?
What should I do?

If I am mistaken, please Guide me into the right track.
nopics.gif

I'm sorry i'm not too familiar with that car but why do you need such a thick oil? I thought most smaller engines like mine just used 5W20 or 5W30.

Because that's the recommended visc. for most small engines (outside USA/Canada). I'd stick with M1 0W-40.

Search here and you'll find that GC is a heavier 30-weight, apprently closer to a 40-weight....

Quote:

Because that's the recommended visc. for most small engines (outside USA/Canada). I'd stick with M1 0W-40.

- Even for winter use??

Is M1 0w-40 considered to be an equal subsitute for CG 0w-30? If so you might want to choose on price and availability. I find GC to be difficult to find, so I buy ahead and I think others do to. I think the day is comming that Autozone will no longer carry GC so I too will be choosing a subsitute.

Quote:

Search here and you'll find that GC is a heavier 30-weight, apprently closer to a 40-weight....

Quote:

- Even for winter use??

Yes, the 0W- part of GC 0W-30 or M1 0W-40 takes care of that.

I'd have to say to run a few UOA on the M1 0w-40. Some cars like it and some just don't. My car was one of them.. Higher than normal lead wear #s, and I even had signs of heat stress on the M1. Even though oil temps never went over 250..

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Even for winter use??

Yes, the 0W- part of GC 0W-30 or M1 0W-40 takes care of that.

** I was actually wondering about the upper-end viscosity for winter
use....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back