Planes and parachutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is cool:

Plane's emergency parachute

All Cirrus airplanes have emergeny parachutes in the event of engine failure, or other catastrophic failure. I don't think this scheme will scale up to work well with a 747 or Airbus, but I wonder if there are some innovative ideas out there that would be effective with a commercial airplane emergency.

Keith.

That system has actually been around for some time. It was used to help pilots get out of the "death" spin.

That's cool stuff. Some guy in Canada (go figure) tried to patent a plan to make large passenger planes (like the new 7E7 and Airbuses) compartmentalized so that in an emergency, they can break apart and float down to the ground softly with chutes.

The rest of the world thinks he nuts... including me. They interviewed other aerospace engineers, pilots, etc for the story, and each had their own reason why this guy is a loon.

The idea was that a 747-sized aircraft would section itself off, and all sections would float gently to the earth. Here are the problems they came up with (just the ones I can remember just off the top of my head), and I won't even mention the ones that have to do with money:

1) the overwhelming majority of problems occur when an commercial aircraft is too low to use the system, at least as proposed.

2) the system was way to heavy to put into one of these aircraft and still put passengers.

3) if it "went off" too early, the consequences would be... well, bad. (I'm fuzzy on this whole good/bad thing, Ray)

4) It would be practically impossible to retrofit these jets--only new jets could have the system.

5) Nothing good is ever invented in Canada.

All are good points.
lol.gif

-T

What's "loon" in that.

Popular Mechanics had that exact same thing on the cover during the 80's.

Passenger Cabin Separated, and parachuted down.

If it saves lives why not.

LoL Bomber and Fighter Pilots have some assurance of survivablity why not passengers?

When will they fit the Cessna type parachutes onto Airliners?

GM said seat belts and AirBags are a loon too *lol*

quote:

Originally posted by Horatio:
HEY!!! Instant potatoes are a Canadian invention!

they're good, right...

right?

aw c'mon!

Greg

Lets not forget poutine. Or, perhaps wes should try to forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back