Pirelli P7 or General RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
OEM Size: 205/55/16

Commuter car / 3rd car right now, will likely one day be primary car - would see 60 to 100 miles daily as of now. On my list of what's (most) important would be snow traction and treadwear.

As of now, I'm between the RT43s and the P7s. RT43s can be had for around $12-$13 cheaper a tire the last time I checked.

Opinions / recommendations / thoughts between the two?

I've got a pair of RT43s waiting for me at the tire shop. I had them on order for a week, but wanted to do some work to my suspension before I put them on. I need to change both lower control arms.

Go with the RT43's...

image-5.jpg

I bought a set of 185/65R14 RT43's a few months ago for my commuter '97 Mercury Tracer Wagon. I drive 100 miles a day on them. I can't comment on snow because I use Altimax Arctic's during the winter months. Having said that I am MORE than impressed with the RT43's. Probably one of the best all around tires I've ever purchased! I especially like the alignment indicators molded into the tread. The treadwear seems nonexistant because I have over 6,000 miles on them and the indicators are still barely there. They handle very well when I want them to, and are dead quiet and stable during commuting duty. They perform very well in the wet too. I liked them so much I just put a set of 215/65R16's on my wifes '07 Caravan.

HTH!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Get the H rated RT43's.

I have them and they are the best all around tire I have ever had.

I originally was going to get H rated for my Caravan, but their load rating is less than the T rated and would've been overloaded.

I'm glad the guy at TireRack looked this up for me, I just assumed the speed rating was higher and never thought they could carry less weight.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
OEM Size: 205/55/16

Commuter car / 3rd car right now, will likely one day be primary car - would see 60 to 100 miles daily as of now. On my list of what's (most) important would be snow traction and treadwear.

As of now, I'm between the RT43s and the P7s. RT43s can be had for around $12-$13 cheaper a tire the last time I checked.

Opinions / recommendations / thoughts between the two?

Both tires show to be great tires!

I was torn between these two tires as well. I ended up with the P7's as they were available in my size(205-55-16) in the "H" speed rating that is required for this car(mazda3) and the RT43's were not til TheTireRack(TR) just got them in.

Now that the RT43's are available in the "H" in my size, it would have been a more difficult dicission for me. TR is the only site that I have seen the RT43's in my size being "H" rated. DiscountTireDirect(DTD) and TreadDepot(TD) do not have my size in the "H" yet.

Correction on the pricing I originally listed, not that it's much but the P7s are a dollar or two (cheaper) after factoring in the current rebate.

On the RT43s, I can get the T and the H locally, no issue there. At least from what I've seen so far, local pricing comes within a few dollars of online all the choices I listed (at least factoring in the cost where I would prefer to have them mounted and balanced).

On the RT43s, I know this is probably splitting hairs and more likely the answer is "it depends" but am I going to see a noticeable difference in the H versus the T based on my driving conditions?

According to TireRack:
H-rated are 700AA with a load index of 91 and a 65,000 mile warranty
T-rated are 700AB with a load index of 91 and a 75,000 mile warranty, and slightly more expensive than the H rated.

Usually H-rated tire has better traction on all road conditions, especially on wet road. If H-rated tire has 10k less mile warranty and priced the same or a little less I would pick H-rated tire all the times.

I actually have the unique experience of driving on both the H and T rated RT43 in the same car. I originally had the T rated RT43's installed on the Forester and had them switched to the H rated 3 weeks later and 1500 miles.

The H rated has better traction by a slight margin. The T rated are a slightly softer ride. The sidewall of the T rated is one ply and the sidewall of the H rated is 2 ply. I could see the seam in the T rated on the side. The H rated sidewall looks seamless. I am very glad I got the H rated RT43. I would get them again.

I HIGHLY recommend the H rated RT43 over the T rated RT43. Both great tires, but the H is better.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I actually have the unique experience of driving on both the H and T rated RT43 in the same car. I originally had the T rated RT43's installed on the Forester and had them switched to the H rated 3 weeks later and 1500 miles.

The H rated has better traction by a slight margin. The T rated are a slightly softer ride. The sidewall of the T rated is one ply and the sidewall of the H rated is 2 ply. I could see the seam in the T rated on the side. The H rated sidewall looks seamless. I am very glad I got the H rated RT43. I would get them again.

I HIGHLY recommend the H rated RT43 over the T rated RT43. Both great tires, but the H is better.

That's great information!
smile.gif

How do the General RT43s do in the snow or is it to early to tell? Any where to read reviews? This seems to be the "in" tire at the moment on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
How do the General RT43s do in the snow or is it to early to tell? Any where to read reviews? This seems to be the "in" tire at the moment on BITOG.

Yes, The Tire Rack's site compares the RT43 to the Hankook Optimo H727(known for their snow/ice ability) and other tires. The RT43's seemed to do quite well in it's catigory but, not the top! CLOSE though!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikered30

If you look around BITOG there are a couple of winter driving reviews too. I know user Monkeyman put a set on his Saturn during the winter and had positive feedback.

I'm pretty torn between the RT43s and the CS5s (because of the price at DTD right now) for my Saturn but they are certainly regarded highly right now.

I had my General AltiMAX RT43's in the winter. This was the worst winter for snow, ice, cold that I have seen in a long time for us. They handled the weather all around better than any other all-season tire I have ever had. This winter is really what made me a believer in the General AltiMAX RT43! It really felt like I had dedicated snow tires with them compared to the Yokohama Geolanders I previously had.

I may put the H rated RT43's in 205/55/16 on the Civic before this winter. Depends how I feel about the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back