Pics of Purolator Cardboard Endcaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with most products, some companies will manf. using the cheapest components they can get away with and others will use the most expensive. Its the way it is. My fiend has a auto service center and I was over bs'ing the other day when this person comes in wanting an estimate for exhause work. So, he asks the guy, do you want a regular muffler, or the good one? We also have a lifetime muffler for about 2x the price of the good one. After the person left, I asked whats reg and good muffler. Oh, 95% of those that come in have $$ on thier mind, so the muffler companies make 2 types, one is really cheap and won't last a year or so before it rusts away, the other one is aluminzed and lasts much longer but costs a lot more. The lifetime one is the same as the aluminzied, you just pay more for the lifetime warranty. He asys a lot of people will take the cheapest muffler and when it rusts away they can't understand why it did not last? He says ge tries to explain to them but some want everything for nothing and want it to last forever.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

You can't say fram is the new kid on the block nor that they have no experience .....

The Fram name has been bought and sold several times. The present owners have had the reins since 1999. Any of us who have worked for large corporations have probably been there during a money crisis when word has come down from on-high to, "take some costs out." I don't remember anything being said about quality in the same message (if something had been said about maintaining or improving the quality of the product, it would have been sneered at as another example of executive office hypocrisy--the only time anyone gets fired for making a poorer product is if it ends up costing more money and blame can't be diverted). Here's Fram's history
http://www.fram.com/about/findex.html

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
The Fram name has been bought and sold several times. The present owners have had the reins since 1999. Any of us who have worked for large corporations have probably been there during a money crisis when word has come down from on-high to, "take some costs out." I don't remember anything being said about quality in the same message (if something had been said about maintaining or improving the quality of the product, it would have been sneered at as another example of executive office hypocrisy--the only time anyone gets fired for making a poorer product is if it ends up costing more money and blame can't be diverted).

I know for a fact that 20 years ago Fram was making junk filters with cardboard endcaps. So the new owners are just keeping the status quo it seems.

It's not just the cardboard encaps but the rest of the filter too. On Fram's I've cut open (a ph5 to be precise) I've seen cheap poorly designed antidrainback valves. I'll have to take pics of the pf1218 and the ph5 I have cut open.

I inquired with Purolator and here was their response:

"Mr. Newton

It is true that Purolator has some percentage of paper end disk elements in its product line.
This is not a new process as Purolator has been manufacturing this product type for decades.

Sincerely

Purolator Products"

I've had a 3 incidents where I crushed a Fram filter as I tried to remove it. Had poor leverage and the force I used collapsed the filter to the point I ended up taking the car into an oil place to finish the job. Embarrassing! Those incidents have nothing to do with a Fram's oil filtering performance, but it's a pragmatic problem. All these years I blamed my super human strength,
rolleyes.gif
or my choice of wrong tools to remove the filter. Never stopped to consider the internal product design. I do now.

Note to whoever was having difficulty finding filters for their Probe GT.

The Probe (assuming that your have a model later that 1993) shared the K series V 6 with the Mazda MX 6 and 626. There's a few zillion of those two on the road. Cross reference to Mazda 626 V6 and you should find plenty of filter options.

Rich

quote:

Originally posted by RichSD:
Note to whoever was having difficulty finding filters for their Probe GT.

The Probe (assuming that your have a model later that 1993) shared the K series V 6 with the Mazda MX 6 and 626. There's a few zillion of those two on the road. Cross reference to Mazda 626 V6 and you should find plenty of filter options.

Rich

That's not the problem. The problem is that out of all the filter choices you guys have in the US, we have only 1/10th of those choices up here in Canada. And in the filters we do have up here, many places don't carry the one for this car. Such as I can't get the AC Delco filter for this car, or the K&N (at least not at Canadian Tire)

I might go with a NAPA Gold on my mom's next interval. We have NAPAs up here, so hopefully they carry the NAPA Gold.

Patman,

Bummer about availability. Guess we're sufficiently insular down here in the States we forget that common language doesn't quite mean common economic practice. By the way, Trussville Mazda provides great parts service via web or phone. I get virtually all my OEM parts (including filters for our two Miatae and our Probe GT) Cheap, minimum shipping charges and super service. Don't know whether import duties or other cross border hassles would preclude that as an option, but wasn't NAFTA supposed to make all this cross border commerse easy???

Mazda OEM replacement filters are WIX.

Rich

It's actually not too big of a hassle going across the border and buying stuff, if you go over for an afternoon and buy $50 worth of stuff they usually don't charge you duty when you tell them you bought it.

It's just a matter of me making the trip, since it takes about 90min to get to the Niagara Falls border, so it's 3 hours just for driving alone. I used to go to the US a lot more often until my son was born (he's 14 months old now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back