Pick my summer oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prob do my summer oil change in April I don't do the millage I use to although this OCI will be used for towing my 5,000 pound camper with my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0 VQ40DE V6 and it can be hard on oil esp towing in the heat hear is what I have on hand. Mobil 1 0w40, Penz yellow 10w40, Chevron Delo XLE simi syn 10w30. Prob run for 6,000 hard miles Nissan calls for 5w30 although when the motor first appeared in "05" 10w40 was an option and many run 40 weight oils in this motor without issue.... So what to run!?

Run the 10w40. check level frequently . Works for Briggs and Strattons too. Haz trans cooler? How is cooling system? etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
An HDEO 5w40?

+1
smile.gif

Amsoil SS 10w30. Very stout, shear resistant, and will easily handle your interval.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
M1 0W40

+1

And I'd wait until mid to late April as the winter isn't over up here. I do my summer oil changes in May.

That would be my first pick as well.
IMHO, many people using thicker PCMOs might be better served using HDEOs.

Cooling system is good I have 54k on truck had trans fluid flushed and replaced at 45k and has large trans cooler.

What ever wt your engine calls for should be used year round. Brand of oil is another thing.

Last edited:
Look in the manual where it lists oil viscosity by expected outside temp. Use what they suggest. How hard is that? Hopefully none of your oil stash was bought at Dollar Tree or Family Dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back