Pick a Nissan V8 4x4 family hauler.

A friend is considering one of these 3 vehicles. Price is the biggest limitation, so trying to get the most value per dollar here. But also trying to be careful and not get a moneypit.
Do any of you have personal experience with these? Any known issue areas? The V8 Pathfinder would be ideal size (and it has the lowest mileage), but Armadas are also considered. Which one of these gets your vote and why? Thank you in advance.

OPTION 1:

OPTION 2:

OPTION 3:

Not sure if 2010 models were involved but the radiator trans. cooler failure is a well known problem to be avoided.

He should know Armadas are not trouble free vehicles....FYI. He WILL HAVE problems with the millage on the listed Armadas.

Pathfinder with the narrow rear door opening smallish backseat - IS NOT A GREAT FAMILY VEHICLE.

None are great choices-just because they are conventional frames with a V8 doesn't make them a wise choice.

Last edited:
I keep hearing Nissan front wheel drive vehicles have crappy CVT and not much better automotive transmission while their truck based vehicles have much better transmission. Their small vehicles have a lot of non-Japanese design and lower build quality seems to be common perception.

The Pathfinder is an oddball as they were ridiculously reliable and my friend has one from 1998-2000 time frame bought new and still running like a champ now but there were several years in recent time when they looked like a minivan and Nissan doesn’t make good minivan once Renault took over.

Other more knowledgeable folks can chime in as far as ATF change if they all have original fluid.

Good luck. It sucks buying vehicles nowadays with over the top inflation.

He should know Armadas are not trouble free vehicles....FYI. He WILL HAVE problems with the millage on the listed Armadas.
I see @clinebarger mentioned cracked exhaust manifolds, so that one will definitely be an inspection item. Do you mind expanding on your statement though? Looking for specifics (like the cracked exhaust manifolds already mentioned), what are the actual issues that may/will arise? What issues have you experienced, if you had one, or maintained one, or know someone who did?

Not sure if 2010 models were involved but the radiator trans. cooler failure is a well known problem to be avoided.
I believe that was when radiators mixed coolant with ATF. Mostly Xterras, V6 Pathfinders, and Frontiers suffered the consequences there. The plan is to separate the systems, with the biggest separate ATF cooler that can fit in there.

I keep hearing Nissan front wheel drive vehicles have crappy CVT and not much better automotive transmission while their truck based vehicles have much better transmission. Their small vehicles have a lot of non-Japanese design and lower build quality seems to be common perception.

The Pathfinder is an oddball as they were ridiculously reliable and my friend has one from 1998-2000 time frame bought new and still running like a champ now but there were several years in recent time when they looked like a minivan and Nissan doesn’t make good minivan once Renault took over.

Other more knowledgeable folks can chime in as far as ATF change if they all have original fluid.

Good luck. It sucks buying vehicles nowadays with over the top inflation.
Idk if any of that is applicable to the vehicles in question though...

I see @clinebarger mentioned cracked exhaust manifolds, so that one will definitely be an inspection item. Do you mind expanding on your statement though? Looking for specifics (like the cracked exhaust manifolds already mentioned), what are the actual issues that may/will arise? What issues have you experienced, if you had one, or maintained one, or know someone who did?
There are widespread issues. I fail to see the logic of recommending a high millage vehicle with widespread issues. You might have to eat crow here and tel him to consider other vehicles.
Go to car complaints .com or Consumer Reports.
And the Pathfinder-for a family vehicle is a joke.

Option 3 is the Parhfinder. I think this is a van-based vehicle. And option 1 and 2 have mileage over 100k and likely not seen transmission serviced.
Not really. It actually shares the body-on-frame layout with Armada/Titan/Frontier/Xterra. Front engine and RWD in most basic form, with proper 4x4 being an option.

The following generation of the Pathfinder was the van one, front wheel drive based, and plagued with CVT issues.

There are widespread issues. I fail to see the logic of recommending a high millage vehicle with widespread issues. You might have to eat crow here and tel him to consider other vehicles.
Go to car complaints .com or Consumer Reports.
And the Pathfinder-for a family vehicle is a joke.
Ok, so no specifics? And probably no personal experience either?

As I mentioned in the initial message - price is the biggest limitation. Given your extensive knowledge and experience, which vehicle would you recommend for a family of 6, with 4x4 or AWD, ability to pull up to 3000lbs, and a $9000 price tag?

Cracked exhaust manifolds, A painful repair!

Only downside to this mill I've seen.

I found a permanent fix for it though - even in california.

There is a company called "Cajun B pipes" that makes a bolt in replacement for the nissan stock piece.

It flows a little freer than the stuck stuff and is built a ton better.

The Magnaflow part was more money and leaked brand new out of the box - garbage.

Not really. It actually shares the body-on-frame layout with Armada/Titan/Frontier/Xterra. Front engine and RWD in most basic form, with proper 4x4 being an option.

The following generation of the Pathfinder was the van one, front wheel drive based, and plagued with CVT issues.
Ok. Got you. Pathfinder is confusing to me as I had seen some nice truck-like version making it look like a a smaller Armada and a middle sibling between the big brute and baby Xterra but also seen some that look a modified Quest without a sliding door.

The 5.6L Nissan would probably be on my top 10 truck engines list.
In 2008 I experienced my first 5.6L. It was a Nissan Titan with suicide doors. That thing was seriously quick for its size. Idk if that particular one was upgraded, but it consistently returned 6 second 0-60 times. Compared to other trucks of it's time (and it came out in 2004?), quite a Speedy Gonzales. Obviously these days nothing special, but back then it was quite something.

Ok, so no specifics? And probably no personal experience either?

As I mentioned in the initial message - price is the biggest limitation. Given your extensive knowledge and experience, which vehicle would you recommend for a family of 6, with 4x4 or AWD, ability to pull up to 3000lbs, and a $9000 price tag?

They are pretty nice and tow really well.

Little first hand Armada experience but Im still on my 04 titan and have no reason to buy anything else right now and I've driven everything and its still better than lots of other trucks.

Mine has served me very well a long time and shows no signs of being close to worn out or used up.
Paints starting to go after 20 years of being parked outside, but so is every vehicle that's had the same treatment.

Back