Phone won't show keyboard when I need to log on to a site

Trying to log into my Zelle account. It asks for my phone number, but when I tap the screen to add it, the keyboard appears for just a fraction of a second. Video at:

Whats the cause and solution?

it appears to be a quiet old android device running 5.0, is that right?

If the phone is less than two years old, this is most likely just a software glitch. Go to the Play store and download GBoard and then enable it as the primary keyboard and see if it fixes this.

Also, restarting your phone can fix a lot of issues.

(Been a programmer for iPhone and android for over ten years)

Happens to me every now and then - go to settings...storage and chose Gboard and clean the cache. Actually while in storage go thru and clean the caches of ALL your apps. You would be surprised how much space they are hogging. Then restart the phone.

Happens to me every now and then - go to settings...storage and chose Gboard and clean the cache. Actually while in storage go thru and clean the caches of ALL your apps. You would be surprised how much space they are hogging. Then restart the phone.
this isn't advisable without letting the user know that it will reset all custom words, auto correct learning, swipe to type learning, etc - hence I did not jump to that suggestion just yet as most users dont want to start from scratch with their keyboard again.... A simple change to another keyboard and re-selection/restart fixes it usually.

Also, get an iPhone to avoid having this "happen to you every now and then" ;)

this isn't advisable without letting the user know that it will reset all custom words, auto correct learning, swipe to type learning, etc - hence I did not jump to that suggestion just yet as most users dont want to start from scratch with their keyboard again.... A simple change to another keyboard and re-selection/restart fixes it usually.

Also, get an iPhone to avoid having this "happen to you every now and then" ;)
It will NOT do that. That only happens when you clear USER data on Android. I clear ALL my caches every week - never lost a thing. Cache is temporary data only - USER data is the learned stuff and settings.

I will never own an Apple product. I tried it though.

It will NOT do that. That only happens when you clear USER data on Android. I clear ALL my caches every week - never lost a thing. Cache is temporary data only - USER data is the learned stuff and settings.

I will never own an Apple product. I tried it though.
Are you on a vanilla android device? Most skinned devices clear all the learning when the cache is cleared. There are some exceptions to this.

Are you on a vanilla android device? Most skinned devices clear all the learning when the cache is cleared. There are some exceptions to this.
I had to check - I am on Android version 12. There are 2 buttons in settings you can press to clear and free up space. One is USER which it pops up and warns you that you will lose some settings and the other button is Clear Cache which clears temp files and such where nothing is effected and no warnings given.

I had to check - I am on Android version 12. There are 2 buttons in settings you can press to clear and free up space. One is USER which it pops up and warns you that you will lose some settings and the other button is Clear Cache which clears temp files and such where nothing is effected and no warnings given.
Interesting. What brand is your device? Usually this is only on Vanilla Android devices like a Pixel or Oneplus device. Skinned devices like Samsung, Moto, LG, etc and almost every other brand often show just the clear cache option and it does remove user data.

At any rate, I wasn’t trying to hate on your advice, just offering the warning that in (some?/most?) cases it could delete user data/on device typing habit/learning.

Interesting. What brand is your device? Usually this is only on Vanilla Android devices like a Pixel or Oneplus device. Skinned devices like Samsung, Moto, LG, etc and almost every other brand often show just the clear cache option and it does remove user data.

At any rate, I wasn’t trying to hate on your advice, just offering the warning that in (some?/most?) cases it could delete user data/on device typing habit/learning.
I didn't take any offence at all - you did a good service to the post with a good reason to be careful. My phone and software might be different. My phone is a Kyocera rugged phone C6930. I hate this phone and will be going back to a Samsung or similar soon.

moto e
Isn't it more likely a problem with the Zelle app?
Is it only in the Zelle app? Did I really miss that part? If so, yes, it’s very likely just a Zelle app optimization issue. Try to delete and reinstall the app, or try to log in via website if possible.

Back