Philips X-Treme Power in H7 and H4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, no halogen light is "white." They're all more or less yellow. "Whiteness" doesn't interest me much, brightness does. I'll take another comparison picture tomorrow, setting white balance manually to incandescent. Check back here...

Actually, setting the white balance manually to "incandescent" will not change anything, because the camera does pick the same incandescent setting that I set. It's not a variable setting. That means the color difference that you see between the two pictures is appropriate in terms of how the CCD "sees" the color. That doesn't mean your eye would see it the exactly the same way. The brighter bulb will also appear more "white" just because of the increased brightness.

Quote:

is this gonna be available in 9- series????

According to US Corp. Rep, it will!

Too bad, I already got my HIR - proven to be the best!
approved.gif

Hi all,

I just installed the H4 version of these in a 2001 Honda CRV. The difference compared to OEM bulbs is pretty noticeable, but I haven't had a chance to drive out to somewhere really dark yet. Here are two side-by-side pics with a pretty lousy camera; it's still pretty easy to spot the difference. Caveat: the comparison is to the original OEM bulb, which probably has about 300 hrs on it already.

Reflected off a garage door; the color difference is clear.

Projected from about 20 ft away; the Phillips bulb has a noticeably brighter hotspot.

I don't have any experience with other plus bulbs, so I can't compare against them.

Hyong

I just installed the H4 version. It makes the old bulbs, which were equally as bright as Sylvania Silverstars, appear positively dim. Can't wait to see how these perform on the road!

I can't seem to find these in the U.S. I sorted through 4 pages worth of Google results and can't find them. I know powerbulbs UK carries them in H7 and H4. But they don't carry it in 9007. This is why I am looking for availability in the U.S.

Quote:

IDK if they're made in 9007. Have you looked into HIR bulbs?

Where can I find these? All I found was some guy on ebay and I cannot get it thru John Deere due to my zipcode.

IDK if they're available right now in 9007. I've only seen them in Euro sizes. I've heard they are coming to the States soon in common sizes.

After having these, I am amazed at how much light they throw out. No colored coatings, just a heck of a lot of light. Side visibility is good, also. The high beams in the H4 version freaking rock, a beam about 1/4 mile long of visibility. The only person who flipped their lights at me was coming up over a crest at the same time as me, so they're not too bad for other drivers.

Quote:

Its manufacturing tolerances have been improved and the filament has been made smaller and burns hotter, similar to +30% and +50% premium bulbs. However, the glass bulb size has also been reduced. The Philips X-Treme Power claims 80% more light output than a regular H7 and 30-50% more light output than other premium bulbs...............

Looks like Osram has responded to the challenge with the recently announced 55 watt "Night Breaker", for which they claim 90% more light on the pavement, compared to a standard halogen.

So far no issues since I installed four (two low beam and two high beam) X-Treme Power H7 bulbs in the Audi eight months ago. Pardon me, but I don't count operating hours.
wink.gif

Has anyone been able to find simple specs on these bulbs like output in lumens? I've dodged all 'round Philips' site but can't find a simple tech specs page. I'm interested to see how these compare to the 65w Osram Hyper H7s I'm currently running in the WRX.

Quote:

Quote:

Its manufacturing tolerances have been improved and the filament has been made smaller and burns hotter, similar to +30% and +50% premium bulbs. However, the glass bulb size has also been reduced. The Philips X-Treme Power claims 80% more light output than a regular H7 and 30-50% more light output than other premium bulbs...............

Looks like Osram has responded to the challenge with the recently announced 55 watt "Night Breaker", for which they claim 90% more light on the pavement, compared to a standard halogen.

Just looked at the press release. These are blue coated bulbs. No thanks. I'll take the X-treme Power (if they ever start selling it here in the US).

I sent an email to bulbs.com and got this reply:

Quote:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Bulbs.com. The Philips X-Treme lamps are not available at this time but we expect to stock them by the end of October. I recommend that you try back at that time. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Kiesha McClain
Project Assistant

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:09 PM
To: Service, Customer
Subject: Home Office - Product Availability: Philips X-Treme bulb in 9007/HB5

Hello- do you know if and when youll have the Philips X-treme Power bulbs in stock for the 9007 size? Heres a link to their website: http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/automotive/products/xtremepower.phpa> />

philips website shows that it is available in 9007, 9006 etc, but I canNOT find them ANYwhere...
does anyone know where one can buy them in 9007?

Last edited:
Try your local NAPA, my friend manages our local store and just ordered some 9007's for my Windstar, should be here monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back