Philips X-Treme Power in H7 and H4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its manufacturing tolerances have been improved and the filament has been made smaller and burns hotter, similar to +30% and +50% premium bulbs. However, the glass bulb size has also been reduced. The Philips X-Treme Power claims 80% more light output than a regular H7 and 30-50% more light output than other premium bulbs.

Light output is 1,500 lumens, which is in line with other premium bulbs, but the amount of stray light and has been drastically reduced and efficiency increased, resulting in getting the light where it needs to be. Color temperature is 3,400 Kelvin. The bulb is made from quartz glass and the special filament should have normal (2-3 years) and not reduced service life.

I'll get a set (H7) in a while and report my findings.

Click the links:

http://www.xp-lamp.com/more-light.php?lc=en

http://www.xp-lamp.com/original-equipment.php?lc=en

Last edited:
Google is your friend.

The cost for one set of two H7 is between 30 and $45 Euros (38-50 USD). Expect the US price to be a lot higher. Availability is still limited due to high demand.

These are £ 28.08 (H7) and £ 21.27 (H4) SHIPPED to U.S. from U.K.

They will be available in the U.S mid-April 07. Price will be about the same. I got these info after 3 phone calls, 5 emails to Philips.

Too bad, already got some HIR from JD for cheap.
getdown.gif

Yes! It will be available in 900x Series!

Let's see how much brighter compare to HIR.

Palladium-coated head means this is a tinted bulb. As expensive as an H7 with an H9 globe. Don't know if it is brighter. Not much infomation on these web pages they posted to promote the product.

Richard.

It's a clear and not a tinted bulb. Only the head is palladium-coated. Otherwise it's clear quartz glass bulb with a clear anti-reflex coating. Look at it on the Philips website.

picture

Last edited:
Today I got my Philips X-Treme Power H7 bulbs. Cost was 35 Euros (ca $46) for one set. They arrived in a care package (lederhosen, alpenhorn, instructional booklet on humor) from Germany.
wink.gif

The box is very nice and provides shock-resistent storage. I will keep this container in the car and use it for spare bulbs.
xtreme2208s.jpg

xtreme2210s.jpg

The bulb is clear and, well, it looks just like the H7 it is:
xtremepower_2213s.jpg

For the close-up fetishists:
xtremepower_crop1_2213.jpg

9MB pixel CCD and lens show their limits:
xtremepower_crop2_2213.jpg

Installation to happen soon! Hey, where did my bulbs go?!
xtreme_power2214_s.jpg

Last edited:
those bulbs came with $25 worth of package and $15 worth of bulbs. the payback for the engineering on the package is why they cost so much!!

on a serious note, I've got beer and hosen, I'm coming over and we'll both enjoy our new drinking pants.

That box is worth maybe 25 cents of plastic and 2 cents of paper. You can buy those bulbs as singles in simple cardboard boxes. The price is then half. If you buy two bulbs you simply get the nice box.

I've read the bulb tests and comparisons, I don't fall for hyped advertising, because. I'll post comparison pictures of clear Osram Silverstars versus the Philips X-Treme bulbs soon. I'm just in the middle of a wiring project, so it may take a while.

Quick comparison. Keep in mind my headlights are currently not perfectly adjusted, because I'm not done with my project.

Both pictures were taken within 2 minutes of each other in my carport. The camera was on a tripod. Exposure was set manually to 1/3 sec at F4. No corrections of any kind were made. The images were only scaled down.

silverstar.jpg

xtreme.jpg

The car looks brighter in the bottom picture because of more ambient light due to more light bouncing off the walls. The top picture was taken first -- note slightly brighter sky.

The Philips X-treme bulbs are definitely brighter than the Osram Silverstars.

The car is also at an angle to the wall, so don't care too much about the beam pattern there. Just compare light output and color. The Silverstars were probably a bit brighter and their light output was a tad less yellow when new than now. Silverstars claim ca 50% more light than a regular H7, X-treme bulbs claim ca +80% more. I'd say the difference between the two bulbs is more than 30% difference.

that is a substantial difference. If I didn't already know that you are proficient at operating the camera I'd say it was the camera making the difference. I know that isn't the case.
do you use auto white balance or was that set manually as well?

The camera was set to auto white balance. Due to differences in color calibration between monitors it makes no sense to further correct color. While I could correct color to the point that it looks right on my monitor, it will likely look different on anybody's monitor.

I was comparing the whiteness of the bulbs, if "white" was set the same for both pics it would be one less variable. i don't care about calibration/display, just comparison.
certainly more light output by how burned the wall/floor joint is in the glühlampe pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back