PF63 in two sizes?

Went to change the oil first time (3000m) on a new Chevy traverse and notice the OEM filter was longer in length that the Delco PF63(ordered from amazon. whats up with this?
OIL FILTER.jpg

I've owned multiple GM 5.3 engines that require the PF63. What you have in your hand, in my opinion, is not a legitimate pf63, unless GM has recently changed the filter. I have a 23 Silverado and the PF63 I installed on the first oil change was virtually identical to the factory filter in dimensions.

Did they accidentally send you a pf48. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't check what you ordered as I almost never do. I only check when I'm in store.

Went to change the oil first time (3000m) on a new Chevy traverse and notice the OEM filter was longer in length that the Delco PF63(ordered from amazon. whats up with this?
If you mean the filter that came on the engine from the factory as being the "OEM filter", it's quite often that the oil filter spun-on at the factory can be different than the same filter bought at the dealership or store.

PF63 DID recently go through a redesign.

Purchased from my local Chevrolet dealer:
1712353202352.jpg

Looking inside, it appears to be the plastic cage of a standard Ecore but the baseplate is obviously different than the typical flat-baseplate Ecore design.

Did they accidentally send you a pf48. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't check what you ordered as I almost never do. I only check when I'm in store.
This is what I think. I bought PF48s for if I ever have to recharge my wife’s AC on her ‘11 Enclave. It went to PF63 in 2011 and the charge port is obstructed. (I can remove the filter to gain access but of course engine has to run to run the ac compressor)

View attachment 212530
Hi Dougaroo,
I went to the Fram site and entered your vehicle. The Extra Guard, Tough Guard and Ultra Synthetic have a height of 4.06". The Fram Endurance is at 4.516". Looking at your original in the picture and the Fram specifications, it appears the taller version is what you need.
Also, the Fram filter numbers cross references to AC Delco PF63 and PF63A. Picture attached.

1712358255065.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I’d post to illustrate the height difference and how it interferes with the ability to recharge the GM 3.6.

This engine had the PF48 up to 2010. It went to the PF63 for 2011. I bet the AC port was designed with the PF48.

What I did was I removed the filter cold (PF63).

I installed the fitting, and hand tightened the filter. Not much oil spilled and I added maybe 1/4 quart.

Did the AC job (didn’t need to and I don’t think I would attempt again, once again, systems should not need a charge ever in their lives. I heard a hiss which the scary internet said low charge).

Was going to perform an oil change.

I COULD NOT GET THE FILTER OFF BY HAND AND IT WAS VERY HOT TO BOOT (expansion).

Because of the AC fitting, the cap wrench could no longer fit. See the red there is slight contact between the fitting and the filter. I don’t have a strap wrench but that would not work either.

I did my best to try to get channel locks in position and somehow got it off. Visions of screwdriver through it or tow to the dealer danced in my head.

That’s why I bought some PF48s for if I ever need to do this job again. Install a PF48 before starting an ac recharge and no issues. Poor design.

IMG_7850.jpeg
IMG_7851.jpeg
IMG_7852.jpeg

This is what I think. I bought PF48s for if I ever have to recharge my wife’s AC on her ‘11 Enclave. It went to PF63 in 2011 and the charge port is obstructed. (I can remove the filter to gain access but of course engine has to run to run the ac compressor)
I believe a PF 64 will solve your problem and give you the same 22 psi bypass pressure as the PF63.

What they may have given you is a PF64. What does it say on the filter?
It was PF 63. Did not have the "E". Even Wal-Mart PF63 filters are sized smaller (still no "E") but the same stock as what I ordered from Bozo. This same stock number is called for on my 2016 Enclave and 2014 GMC 5.3L I've been using for years. Now I suspect the smaller filter will have less media. PS..it was a 2023 Traverse and WOW it was on tight. I used a band wrench to take it off and crushed the walls bigly.

If you mean the filter that came on the engine from the factory as being the "OEM filter", it's quite often that the oil filter spun-on at the factory can be different than the same filter bought at the dealership or store.
It was the factory filter.

Back