Pep Boys Peak Professional B1G1 free special

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went to Pep Boys to get the $9.99 Peak Professional Lifetime full strength B1G1 free special. The Peak Professional rang up $21.99 but they gave me no problem with matching their $9.99 ad price. The free one is a mfg. mail-in rebate, but they couldn't find a rebate anywhere. So they offered to sell them to me for $5.99/gal.

I figured since I wouldn't have to mail in a rebate that I wouldn't quibble over the $2 and got the 2 gals for $11.99. I think that was a pretty good deal especially when it was originally priced at $21.99. I think the special ends Jan. 3rd.

I think Peak Global, Professional and Final Charge are all the same non-2EH formula. I sent the following question to Peak:

Quote:
Hello, I purchased Peak Global Lifetime and Peak Professional Lifetime. Is Peak Professional the same formula as Peak Global? Also is Peak Professional and Global the same formula as Final Charge? Are all 3 non-2EH formula? One last question is Peak Long Life/Extended Life a different formula from the other three mentioned and is it a 2-EH formula? Thank you for your assistance.

I bought 3 gallons of Peak Professional Lifetime for $9.90 each but the manager would not scan the Peak that was advertised for rebate, so I decide to get an oil filter and some spark plugs that put me a hair over $50

I then used the instant $10 off coupon (with $50 purchase) at checkout so in a way it was better that I did not have to do the mail in rebate. Peak PL is on clearance at PepBoys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't know. The ad special I'm talking about specifically states, "Peak Full Strength Antifreeze (Professional Lifetime Concentrate is pictured) B1G1 free after mfg. mail-in rebate (reg. 9.99)".

I added the the first parenthesis part to help describe the ad but the rest is quoting the ad special. No where does it state pre-mix, so Pep Boys never tried to even argue that. It also states $9.99 so I don't know how it is ringing up $21.99, but it wasn't on clearance. And even if they made a mistake in the ad and really meant $9.99 for pre-mix that still sounds too cheap if concentrate is $21.99
21.gif

Anyway I had no problem getting them to honor the add and I didn't even see any Peak Professional pre-mix. The way I figure it is I saved more than $10 because you are not going to get Peak Professional/Global concentrate anywhere for under $12/gal and I only paid $5.99.

I guess the Pep Boys in your area is doing it differently but that's how it was at the one near me.

The girl at the register scanned tha UPC on the back and did not see the yellow clearance sticker $9.90 on the front of the bottle so a manager had to void the $21.99 price and rescan it.

I notice a few PepBoys in my area are doing an year end type of clearance sale and getting rid of some slow selling items. Shell V-Power Fuel System Cleaner is also on clearance for $2

Again, the clearance thing makes me wonder if Peak is going to discontinue PGL and clone PPL. All Peak and Danica are now advertising is Peak Long Life. I was in Kmart yesterday and they had half a dozen jugs of PGL premix, but like Walgreens, no full strength.

The amber color, while similar to G-05, with the exception of being 2eha free, is likely where the similarity ends. PGL/PPL is silicate and phosphate free. The ad also shows the full strength and says(Reg. $9.99).

091115_p2_BALT_UTAH_cmb_5.JPG

I'd be tempted to get some, if I could get the rebate, which says after manufacturers rebate. How long can you store antifreeze and still have it be effective?

I went back to Pepboys and told the assistant manager (the mgr. was off) that this was a clearance but he wouldn't lower the price so I said 'no thanks' again. For 21.99 I'd rather buy Toyotas or Hondas own.

I'd buy OEM before I'd pay $21.99 for PB PPL. I suspect at that price though it will be sitting there for some time while most customers buy the much less expensive Peak Long Life and the Prestone AMM LL. So, you may get another shot later on.

That said, I still don't understand PB not honoring a nation promo circular. Not understanding a manager that can make a sale, and has an ad to fall back on if corporate questions it. Guess some folks aren't capable of making an independent command decision.

I'm not understanding either why guys are having trouble getting Pep Boys to honor its ad. I didn't have any trouble. The ad clearly states Peak Professional concentrate for $9.99 plus a a mail-in rebate. The ad is not ambiguous so I don't see any out for PP.

About Peak discontinuing the PGL and PPL, I think it possible. I asked the guy at Pep Boys, why it is they don't seem to know about the rebate since it seems like a lot of customers would want to get such a good deal. He said they weren't selling that much of the PPL. He said most people are buying the Peak LL premix
crazy2.gif

So thanks to dummy customers nothing good sells well so we might get stuck with worthless anti-freeze choices. On the other hand, if PP is charging 21.99 no wonder it's not sellling, but that doesn't explain why it wouldn't be selling well at $9.99. What I think will happen though rather than Peak clearing it out is Peak GL will just be harder to find. But Peak might discontinue it if it doesn't sell well. I think Final Charge is the same thing, but it's already harder to find than PGL. PP had it too.

I can send you the $9.90 stickers

I would have no problem using sealed coolant that is 10 years old.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The clearance stickers sounds like a store by store clearance not a chain-wide clearance.

Anyway I think Peak Global, Dexcool or any straight OAT has an unopened shelf life of 5-7 years if I'm remembering right. Green, G-05 and other hybrids have like a 2-3 year shelf life iirc.

I personally would want to use even OAT within 2 years since the way I figure it is it will be in my engine for another 5 years.

I mentioned earlier that I emailed Peak tech department about their coolant. Today I got email that said to call their tech dept number. I just got off the phone with the tech dept and this is what I was told.

Peak Global and Professional are the same thing. As we probably all realized, it's not used by any automotive OEMs (they use Dexcool, G-05, and Asian formula). Peak Final Charge is not the same as the other two, and "it is a heavier duty coolant for diesels..and could be used in cars but is overkill". Final Charge is used by several heavyduty OEMs.

Peak LL/EL are both 2-EHA and the same. I try to quiz the tech guy about Dexcool and 2EHA being agressive with gaskets, but he really only would say that the IMG were the problem.

Well there it is and pretty much just suppoerts what we already knew and believed. But I guess it's more clear that Final Charge isn't exactly the same as Global.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back