Pentosin CHF 7.1 mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UncleRunkle
CHF 7.1 MSDS states:

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated middle 25-50% CAS#64742-46-7

CAS#64742-46-7 has trade names of Amoco NT-45 process oil and Kermac 600W (mineral seal oil)

also has 2.5% by weight of ZDDP.

What could make up the other 47.5-72.5% of this by weight???

Listing MDSD's prove nothing. Do not take MSDS's as an indication of the formulation of the fluid.

The chemicals or base fluids above a certain percentage are only listed because they may have environmental or toxicity effects as determined by animal studies in a lab, or by perceived threats due to Precautionary theory.

The original question asked was

Quote:
Does any know why Pentosin makes such a big deal about not mixing 7.1 with "modern" hydraulic fluids.

I presented a theory based on my experience, nothing else.

Last edited:
Molakule, please don't take me posting some info as trying to "disprove" anything you said, you're obviously waaaay more knowledgeable about this than I.

Notice on the info I posted about 7.1 I asked at the end what could be making up the other % by weight that isn't accounted for in the MSDS.

I know that MSDS don't equal furmulation, just tiny peeks into what is included that might be considered hazardous to mamals.

No offense taken. I just wanted to make sure my hypothesis was not taken in the wrong context.

Quote:
The problem I found was these OCPs is that they did not want to disperse in the host fluid, even with a good dose of dispersant. The OCP tended to clump in small globules and would even stick to the sides of the containers.

The variation of percentages of a fluid or component given in an MSDS are in there for three basic reasons:

1. to keep people guessing as to what the real formula may be,

2. to leave the formulator enough leeway for blending variations,

3.to modify the formula according to component supply.

Stuff not shown in an MSDS or VOA can be anything purely organic that does not contain any traces of metals.

As an aside, MolaKule, the enforcement issue is important, too. If drums of something like CHF 7.1 were being transported and involved in a collision, if the manifests said something like 5w-30 with a PAO base, the fire department wouldn't give two hoots as cleanup would be similar. Now, if it said it were ethylene glycol, then it could create enough of a hassle to get the enforcement people involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back