OK to Mix Brake Fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pentosin has this to say:

"No. You should never mix brake fluids in order to avoid dilution and contamination of the braking fluid properties.

The seals in a car's braking system are designed to work with specific fluid types. The mixing of conventional glycol brake fluids and synthetic brake fluids must be totally avoided. The fluid types are not miscible (they will not mix together). This leads to system contamination and subsequently the brake seals and hoses begin to deteriorate - which can catastrophically impact braking performance. In addition to compromising passenger safety, mixing brake fluid types will necessitate that the seals and hoses are replaced at a sizeable expense to the vehicle owner."

http://www.pentosin.net/askourexperts.asp

But what exactly is a "conventional glycol brake fluid" and what is a "synthetic brake fluid".

My understanding is that the difference between conventional brake fluids and synthetic brake fluids is analogous to conventional vs synthetic oil. It's just a less refined product (can you even find conventional brake fluid somewhere?) The glycol they are talking about is diethylene glycol monoethyl (or some type of polyethylene glycol, which includes diethylene glycol ), it is NOT supposed to be mixed with silicone based brake fluids, which is DOT 5. That would certainly result in a problem.

My understanding is that a DOT 5 (silicone) fluid should never be mixed with a DOT 3 or 4 glycol fluid.
I wouldn't do it, nor would I use a silicone fluid in a system that's always seen glycol unless I were doing a total rebuild from scratch.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
All brake fluids are SYNTHETIC.

Its silicone you don't wanna mix in.

Thats what I always thought to be true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back