Pennzoil-Word get's around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

On many different truck/car forums many people still believe that Pennzoil motor oil causes sludge in side their engines.I might have read 2 posts that had anything positive to say about Pennzoil.Even oild time mechanics have told their customers not to use Pennzoil.They mention Havoline/Valvoline to stick with.Joe
whistle.gif

laugh.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
stooges.gif
crackmeup.gif
laugh.gif

I'm not bashing the Pennzoil motor oil.I'm going to give it a try in my Jeep.I'm only stating that on other sites that are non oil specific people have the mentality to think that this oil could and does cause engine sludge.As far as Valvoline and where they get their oil.You know that not me.I'm trying different oils to see if each performs that much different from each other.Joe
whistle.gif

I attemted to give out some Pennzoil Platinum coupons(the $10 ones) at work and I got about lynched, Pennzoil causes sludge, it contains wax, I used to work at a junkyard and we knew if they used Pennzoil by the sludge in the engine, one was even a girl, I had a earlier post about this. I just slid the coupons back in the drawer of my desk, cant argue with idiots, I figure. But these are people that dont know or even care about oil or car maintence, yet they know about Pennzoil and it causes sludge. Kinda amazed me.

I've given up trying to correct people when they spread this myth. I've read a few beauties, however: (and this is from just 5 minutes of searching on just ONE forum) I'm sure I could find more if I looked!

QUOTE: I may be young but im not stupid. Both me and my dad have used pennzoil in the past in our racecars (4 cyl. cars), and both of us ended up with oil that looked like vomit when we changed it

QUOTE: penzoil used to be good until quaker state bought the company about 5 years ago and ruined it, its quaker state that is garbage, the old penzoil formula is what they use in quaker state oil now, which is why it says New and Improved

QUOTE: Anyway, after chatting about the condition of the car we stopped at the auto parts store to get some fresh oil. He said Kendall is the best on the market and Quaker state should be illegal! ...And that Quaker State turned to molases at average temps.

QUOTE: Thats a typical Quaker State OR Penzoil engine. (comes from same place) It crudes up like that because of the high parafin content.

QUOTE: Wait till you see inside an uncared for V-6 that used Pennzoil : barf :

QUOTE: I opened up a 2.8 once that obviously has been very poorly maintained and worse yet, they used Pennzoil which "coats" & cakes on to things. The inside in the valvetrain area had a super thick goo like substance that covered EVERYTHING to the point you couldnt even see the pushrods. After hours of scraping the stuff out, you would come to a hard brittle version of it that needed to be chiseled out !!??? It was like they never changed oil since it was born & it burnt itself to everything. After hours in a parts washer, thay made it to the sand-blaster to get the black burn residue off.

QUOTE: Apprently Penzoil uses Paraffin in thier oils still; Which would cause the nasty build up your talkin about..

QUOTE: The oil wars come every few months. Ive known people that used Pennzoil and Quaker State that changed oil EVERY 3000 miles that were totally sludged up.

I was told the same thing about Penzoil before coming here by men older than me, say father-in-law type age. I even made a post asking the same question: does Penzoil have wax or sludge an engine (I think it was my first post).

What is in both my vehicles at the moment? Penzoil. The upside to this is that so long as the rumor persists, we can continue to save money over Mobil 1.

At WALLY World in Wisconsin word was on the block that Pennzoil caused white foam gunk on the oil cap.

Seems to me that a lot of people had/have something against that oil.

I used it in my car when I first started driving so I'll always have a special attachment to that oil. Seriously thinking about running the yellow bottle again soon.

More gems! These come from just tem minutes of searching, on two other forums:

QUOTE: yes penzoil sucks major! my buddy with a 3.1 when we took it apart to rebuild it the person before him used penzoil and there was like little chuncks of oil in the gaps of the heads.... it looked horrible....

QUOTE: Pennzoil is a parafin based oil, or wax basically. That stuff is totally ghey. My uncle bought a brand new car, changed oil with pennzoil every 2500 miles, and by the time it hit 70k, it was burning more oil than gas. Not to mention when my dad bought the car as a beater, he switched it to normal conventional, and within 6 months, rod bearings were going out. Bought drive like they are 80, so abuse was not to blame.; Coincedence, I don't know, but I learned to stay way far away!

QUOTE: it has wax or somthing in it im not sure but them and pennzoil were bad for vehicles because of that but i think that has changed now

QUOTE: I always used to get Pennzoil for my first couple of oil changes, but then I was told by a Jiffy Lube techie that Pennz gums up your engine really badly

QUOTE: its pensoil (not even worth spelling correctly) and
queerstate that i had always heard and seen was the worst, you can tell when either one of those was used because of all the engine sludge and ----.

QUOTE: looks typical of high milage engines that i've torn down that ran on parfin based oils (quaker state, penzoil)

QUOTE: If you're gonna switch to conventional for your engines sake dont use penzoil. its ----.

QUOTE: cause Pennzoil and Quaker State turn to black mashed potatoes when exposed to heat for any long time. I wont use either even in a lawnmower, but its ok for things like door hinges. However, it is fine to use for oiling down gravel driveways

QUOTE: the engines that people used pensoil in had a lot of sludge built up in them from the high concentration of parifin wax.

QUOTE: From reading around on websites about oil (yes I was bored lol).... I have heard penzoil is parafin based and can cause build up.

QUOTE: i was always told by the old timers that pensoil will sludge up your engine like concrete, and now that is whi i'll never use it. its BAD!!

QUOTE: I've also heard that Pennzoil (and Quaker State) use a paraffin base, and can 'sludge up' your engine.

QUOTE: I haven't toorn down a lot of engines but I can say in the early years I used only Penzoil on one. When I found all the sludge and ---- inside the valve cover, I switched to Castrol and sometimes Valvoline.

What is that site? I would like to go there and raise a little cane if you don't mind.

You don't have to convince me.I'm going to try it and decide between using Pennzoil or Mobil Clean 5000.I just posted what other people are thinking and saying about this oil.They have no proof that Pennzoil causes sludge.if Pennzoil caused sludge it would be taking off the market.Joe
whistle.gif

Quote:

parafin based oil
parfin based oils
parifin wax
that is whi i'll never use it

That sound you just heard was a thousand English teachers screaming in horror.
crazy.gif

Seriously though, Pennzoil stole my wife, kicked my dog, and slashed my tires. It's true, I wrote it on the internet!

You have to be kidding me! Another Pennzoil causes sludge posting?

Let me explain why Pennzoil does not cause sludge. I don't have all the answers to everything, but I know that Pennzoil does not cause sludge anymore than any other brand of good quality motor oil.

How do I know this? It is simple. Pennzoil is still the best selling motor oil in America. If Pennzoil caused sludge there would be so many cars and trucks with sludged up engines it would be obvious to everybody that we had a serious problem. People would start investigations. There would be congressional hearings as to why so many vehicle engines in the USA were becoming sludged up. There is no way Pennzoil would be able to hide if so much damage was being done to so many car and truck engines.

This is how I think this Pennzoil causes sludge urban legend got started. Mechanics would see a sludged up engine in a car or truck. They would ask the owner what brand of motor oil he/she had used. With Pennzoil so commonplace there would be a good possibility that Pennzoil was the motor oil used. They would either not ask the owner of the vehicle if he/she had done proper oil changes or not or if they did ask the owner that question the owner, embarrassed to admit to his/her own neglect, would fudge on the answer.

The mechanics would of course see an occasional car or truck engine that was sludged up and where some other brand of motor oil had been used. But these lesser used brands would not show up as often. Why? Because those brands of motor oil are not as common as Pennzoil.

The real answer to sludged up engines is owner neglect; pure and simple. There might be an occasional case of a bad batch of oil or something along those lines. And of course some people use cheap SA or SB brands of motor oil in new car and truck engines. But most sludged up engines can probably be traced back to owner neglect.

I suppose it is unlikely that this Pennzoil causes sludge urban legend will ever be put to rest. If you think that Pennzoil causes sludge use another brand of motor oil.

"Paraffin wax for oil"
blahblah.gif
dizzy.gif

ALL conventional oil (Grp I-II) and most synthetic oil (Grp III) contain predominantly paraffin oils. All one has to do is go to the Chevron base oil pages HERE and HERE to see. In fact, the more the better.

If someone doesn't want to use Pennzoil, for sure don't use Chevron...especially the synthetic!!
ooo.gif

Pennzoil causes hydrophobia not sludge. That's what you might think is white sludge. Be careful. If your engine does produce white foam it's considered to be sacred by the Aniyunwiya Indians. That's why you have to be careful to keep your Pennzoil stash away from coyotes, bats and dogs in the neighborhood. Pennzoil sell an antidote. It's called Slick 50. That's why Slick 50 costs so much. It's recommended by Doctors and is for external use only. Don't ever pour it in your engine. If I read one more Pennzoil sludge thread I think I'm going to throw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back