Pennzoil Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not against the law to take a picture, especially since the PDS is published.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So this is replacing Platinum?

That I don't know. Hopefully the person I sent my email to will answer that question also.

I got another ? for you Johnny if you know the answer, is this a extended drain oil, if not what is the purpose of coming out with a new oil, and what will this mean for PP?

Seems like Ultra is what Edge is to Castrol.

Here's a quote from the bottom of the PDS:
October 2009
*Superior versus our Pennzoil Platinum oils
001D6399, 001D6400, 001D6401 & 001D6402

I guess it's different than PP.

Oils will be requirede to meet GF5 regulations by I think 2011 sometime. I would think this is the reason for the change

"Hyper Cleansing Technology?"

Is this a motor oil, or some crazy health spa where they 'flush you out' right good?
whistle.gif

Here is the first email I received from my contact. I am naturally not going post his full name on here, but I can assure you he is one of the best tech guys Pennzoil ever had. Heck, I may have to put the Pennzoil Oval back up.

Here you go.

Date: January 20, 2010 9:44:25 PM CST
To:
Subject: RE: Pennzoil Synthetic

Its a new extremely high performance synthetic just coming out. More cleaning power than ever...the claim is cleans 35% more engine sludge than our best oil (Platinum) and is based on ASTM Sequence V-G testing. If you want to keep your engine as close to factory clean as possible, this would be the product to use. Also makes the claim No leading synthetic offers better wear protection and now is the only motor oil recommended by Ferrari USA. It's not being promoted for extended drain.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:25 PM
To: Mike SLUBE-DLU/7A7
Subject: Pennzoil Synthetic

Mike,

Have a friend that lives up in Alaska and was in his local Wal-Mart tonight and saw a new Pennzoil synthetic that said the following. Just wanted to know if you know anything about it. Is Shell coming out with an extended drain oil like Mobil did with their EP synthetics?

"While I was at the backroom at walmart I saw Pennzoil Ultra in flavor 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30. On the 6 quart box it says "Superior Synthetic 35% more sludge cleaning than base oil." Something along those lines."

He also said the 5-quart jug looked different than the Platinum.

Any info appreciated,

Johnny

Originally Posted By: TedSexington
This is exciting its a bummer I cant take a pic of it might get in trouble.

Might? Lol, you need to be a super spy and sneak a pic

I just got off the phone with my friend and he said the chemist that designed this new Ultra is keeping tight lipped about its formulation. He did tell me that if it has PAO in it, it is for a correction fluid. He believes the base is Shell's Group III+ with a bunch of esters in it.

That's all I know. Unless a miracle happens, that's all they will ever tell me.

I want to try this new Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 in my '00 E430. It had PP 5W20, then M1 0W20 and now it has Synpower 5W20. Of all the xW20, the engine was quietest with PP 5W20.

Why doesn't Shell get PP or this new oil on the shelves in a 0W20 and 0W30 grade? 0W20 exists, and a 0W30 would be a nice addition to their lineup. The 0W20 is nowhere to be found unless you want to order it online, and then pay to have it shipped. This is a retail product not a boutique oil. They make a great product, but they really have to get moving with the 0W-xx grade oils.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Why doesn't Shell get PP or this new oil on the shelves in a 0W20 and 0W30 grade? 0W20 exists, and a 0W30 would be a nice addition to their lineup. The 0W20 is nowhere to be found unless you want to order it online, and then pay to have it shipped. This is a retail product not a boutique oil. They make a great product, but they really have to get moving with the 0W-xx grade oils.

PP is thin enough to be considered a 0W-30 (5W-30) and a 0W-20 (5W-20) so they don't need a true 0W oil.

New oil you know what that may mean........Pennzoil Ultra REBATES!!!! Rebates so people will try Ultra. Get used to say PU instead of PP. The new BITOG darling.

I agree 100%. Shell's retail marketing department leaves something to be desired.

As for as when it will hit the shelves, I don't know and neither does my friend. He does not work in the marketing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back