Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, 16,065 Miles, 2005 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tigerman
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
by the looks of it id keep running trop artic at 10k oci's. it protected just as well for half the money.

That was the plan until a WM clearance corresponded with a Pennzoil MIR. I stashed 4 jugs of PU at $2 per quart, the same as Trop Artic on sale.

I started running longer OCI's just to see how far I could go. Guess it is time to back off and hone in on the sweet spot.

This goes to demonstrate that TBN is not the only deciding factor in oil longevity.

That makes perfect sense! with all the UOA's at least you have a good baseline, so you can rest easy running that honda out to 10k miles and beyond.

The copper went exponential between the 10,000 and 14,000 mile runs and then again for the last one. Although shorter OCIs will definitely see lower numbers that could be a false hope, start looking at the PPM/1000 miles to see if the wear is really being decreased by shorter OCIs. Could be the wear is the same or increasing and masked by shorter OCIs.

Since I would never exceed 10K on any oil (even synthetic) this tells me that a quality 'dino' can work very well in the right engine. Honda 4 cylinder engines are known to be easy on oil and I see no reason to use a synthetic unless the temperatures are consistently below 0*F.

Side note, I notice on Pennzoil website they list their PU oils in 5w20 and 5w30 have NOACK volatility ratings of 10.5 and 11.5, respectively. Not that it's a big deal, and maybe not news for alot of you, but it is for me. Up from the older formulation of 7.2% or something?

Looks good. There's thickening going on though... not that it appears to have hurt anything. Be good to know TAN in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back