Pennzoil/Quaker State Conv. NOT API certified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TFB1
I guess news travels slow in TN...

Even back in the day Pennzoil didn't cause sludge as long as it was changed regularly, I used it through the '70s without issues...

Don't bring me into this slow news stuff. I'm not a fan of conventional oil, but there's nothing wrong with PYB or QSGB

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Just kind of an aside with the obvious sarcasm, but I suppose a lot of people don't realize that "foam" or "lather" is pretty much useless when it comes to cleaning. Most laundry/dish detergents, shampoos, or cleaning agents get foamy because foaming agents are added to make them foamy, but they don't actually clean. There's a psychological reassurance that people have that foaming means cleaning.

There are lots of applications where we don't really see it and foaming agents aren't added. Of course detergent fuel doesn't foam by design - it would make a mess with fuel pumps if they started pumping lots of air. Dishwasher detergent doesn't foam by design, and it wouldn't wash off well if it did. I own a rental home where the tenants ran out of automatic dishwasher detergent and decided to just use regular detergent and it left a mess that they had to clean out. High efficiency laundry detergent doesn't contain sudsing agents by design because they interfere with the process when there's less water and a higher concentration of detergent.

I know it might be something that we need to unlearn, but I wish that maybe we could get rid of foam in applications that simply don't need it. Sometimes I do the laundry (instead of my wife) and the one thing I noticed about adding a high amount of regular detergent (for large loads) was that the suds stuck to the top of the machine or the lid and then gravity dropped it in the rinse water rather than allowed them to be removed in the initial spin cycle.

Fascinating! I love random facts like that.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Discovered today when going to O'reilly's to pick up a couple filters for some customers cars, that I just so happened to see out of the corner of my eye, NO API starburst on either the Pennzoil or Quaker State conventionals..

Either one I have/would never use due to high amounts of paraffin and also the sludge they cause, but was surprised...

Forgot to take a pic but most of y'all can just go look..

Thought I should pass it on!!

I'm guessing that you're unaware that natural gas is a paraffin.

I do know that natural gas is paraffinic. In fact people know me as the world's biggest candle.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If you do a googole search for Pennzoil not API certified this thread comes up #3 from the top
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

The OP is taking you "nervous nellies" hook line an sinker
smile.gif

Oil Dweebs! Tee Hee!

lol.gif

Yup. His trolling skills are first class.

QP, I know better than to often disagree with you but I think his effort was pathetic. He got a First Class overreaction from the troops but he shouldn't have

i totally made a mistake.. looking back at the bottle there the packaging on one of the pennzoils must have been torn or something..

seriously my bad everyone..

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Discovered today when going to O'reilly's to pick up a couple filters for some customers cars, that I just so happened to see out of the corner of my eye, NO API starburst on either the Pennzoil or Quaker State conventionals..

Either one I have/would never use due to high amounts of paraffin and also the sludge they cause, but was surprised...

Forgot to take a pic but most of y'all can just go look..

Thought I should pass it on!!

I thought GTX caused sludge.

I recommend you do some research on base oils and API certified oils before you post some hooey like this.

No no no, GTX causes varnish.

Man maybe I should tell my family that that they have been creating varnished engines for the past 50 years using castrol... lol

i totally made a mistake.. looking back at the bottle there the packaging on one of the pennzoils must have been torn or something..

What about this part?
Quote:
due to high amounts of paraffin and also the sludge they cause,

Was that a mistake as well?
lol.gif

What about this part?
Quote:

Was that a mistake as well?
lol.gif

I'm with the crowd here. The idea that Pennzoil caused/causes sludge should be weighed with the fact that it is the #1 selling brand of conventional motor oil. If it truly sludged up and ruined all those many engines why would anyone continue to buy it?

Besides I have definite proof which oil company loaded and hyped their products with paraffin wax....

il_570xN.353768935.jpg

It was GULF!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Ok here is what I seen.. I saw a 10W-40 bottle of Pennzoil and Quaker state.. Come to find out by looking all 10W-40's I saw were not API certified except 1..

There's only a couple oils in my opinion that shouldn't be API certified, Amsoil SS, Redline. Maybe one more I'm not thinking of.. This based on the non mixing of base oils...

496C76FF-1FF6-45EE-8A62-6F984E18FFBB-5365-0000099535BEE3A8_zps750b5af9.jpg

5E6F66D0-F75E-4E8A-B956-15C92C524103-5365-000009953DC130EA_zps7bad51c1.jpg

0651B996-654F-4321-9FDC-82E1E81D8FCC-5365-00000995456A6118_zpsee58c718.jpg

C3A416E7-DA00-4256-B9BA-F31B096F22B6-5365-000009954DD87ED8_zps991de439.jpg

Ok here is what I seen.. I saw a 10W-40 bottle of Pennzoil and Quaker state.. Come to find out by looking all 10W-40's I saw were not API certified except 1..

There's only a couple oils in my opinion that shouldn't be API certified, Amsoil SS, Redline. Maybe one more I'm not thinking of.. This based on the non mixing of base oils...

Check the back of the bottle. Because there is no starburst does not equal not API certified.

Agreed. 40 weights will not have a Starburst up front, and if they do, they are claiming something they cannot. Look for the API Donut on the back. You're not going to find ILSAC compliance in a 40, so don't even bother looking for it. Some 30 and 20 grade HM oils are ILSAC certified, but not all.

Valvoline really needs to get the Starburst off the front of the 10w-40. That's nonsensical and they should get their knuckles rapped for that one. And nice Canadian style price on the MaxLife. I wouldn't even consider paying that much for it.

I think the original post should not have been done in such a misleading, haphazard fashion. Pennzoil and Quaker State conventional are API certified, contrary to the title of the thread. Quaker State and Pennzoil conventionals do have ILSAC certification where that certification can be obtained (i.e. 20 and 30 multigrades only), regardless of the confusion in the first post.

When someone complains that a specific oil isn't certified (talking ILSAC here since even straight grades have API certification), I would assume they're talking about a grade that is currently and normally specified for gasoline engines in North America and Japan. With respect to conventionals, the average 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30 is SN/GF-5.

If one were pulling a straight grade, a 10w-40, or certain high mileage oils off the shelf, that's another matter altogether. Why not a 20w-50, a 15w-40, a 5w-50, some HDEOs, and monograde 40 to further confuse the issue?

10w-40 isn't called for in any new North American vehicle that I can think of. This is the whole point of the Starburst and the API Donut. It's so you don't put 10w-40, GC 0w-30, Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, Rotella 10w-30, and so forth into vehicles calling for something in a 30 grade with a Starburst. The first is the wrong grade altogether, and the latter three have way too high HTHS, not to mention too much phosphorous for the GC and Rotella.

I made a mistake. I already explained this.. Appologized.

Then went to show y'all what I saw and how I made the mistake get the [censored] over it Jesus.

I understand y'all see this alot with people trollin. But I was not..

I have learned a ton about oil in the period of reading on here and working most recent job..

So whoever quoted my original post was correct at that point.

But anyways. I'm leaving it alone.. I've shown why posted what I did..

Fair enough. I think the photos you posted help explain some of the confusion. That's why it's always nice to provide photos in your opening post, especially if you're going to bring up some very controversial or unusual claim. It adds validity and makes you look less like a troll. As the saying goes, "don't believe anything you hear and only believe 50% of what you see."
smile.gif

I, and many others possibly, still take issue with this:
Quote:

Unless you can back this up with data and well documented examples, please don't spread rumors. It really does not help anyone.

I don't post on here much at all. But I have been keeping up with this post and what I have seen from this is (Who cares), Flareside302 made a mistake he even said he made a mistake. I think some of you people on here should apologize for the way some of you have treated him.

He is learning just like any one on here has one time or another. You people were not born knowing everything you can about motor oil.

There I got that off my chest.
laugh.gif

Fair enough. I think the photos you posted help explain some of the confusion. That's why it's always nice to provide photos in your opening post, especially if you're going to bring up some very controversial or unusual claim. It adds validity and makes you look less like a troll. As the saying goes, "don't believe anything you hear and only believe 50% of what you see."
smile.gif

I, and many others possibly, still take issue with this:
Quote:

Unless you can back this up with data and well documented examples, please don't spread rumors. It really does not help anyone.

i understand..

the Sludge/varnish Due to Paraffin is a combination of stuff i've seen tearing down engines that i have access to maintenance records, and from friends that are Full Time Mechanics.

neither do i have photo proof or have records for any of this. This is my personal opinion..

and you know opinions..

Originally Posted By: cooper_m22
I don't post on here much at all. But I have been keeping up with this post and what I have seen from this is (Who cares), Flareside302 made a mistake he even said he made a mistake. I think some of you people on here should apologize for the way some of you have treated him.

He is learning just like any one on here has one time or another. You people were not born knowing everything you can about motor oil.

There I got that off my chest.
laugh.gif

why thank ya.. This what i was trying to get through.. i made a simple mistazke and worded stuff way wrong in the first post with no photographic evidence. and that hurt my case for what i seen. which in the end wasnt 100 percent correct.

[censored] happens..

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Check the back of the bottle. Because there is no starburst does not equal not API certified.

That Maxlife 10W40 has a starburst. First time I've ever seen anything thicker than 10W30 with a starburst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back