Pennzoil Platinum Date Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, The PP is on sale at Advance Auto Parts,(Parts America), until Jan. 27, for buy 1 get 1 free. It comes out to $2.89ea. The Q Torque or Advanced Engine is also buy 1 get 1 free and comes to $2.84. Which one is better? Also, is the Torque Power really better for an SUV or 4X4?

Quote:

I was told the switch was made in November of 2005. With your date of October 20, 2005 it would be borderline. You would not have any problems mixing it with either of the products you mentioned.

Johnny,

Did they make PP in 5w20 back in November of 2005 or before? Didn't PP just recently starting offering PP in 5w20?
ooo.gif

I said I was taking a break, but since you ask me this direct question I will reply. Yes, from the beginning, PP offered a 5W20.

Johnny,

I am trying to sorta compare Mobil Drive Clean Blend to PP. Do you think my car will shift quicker with this "full synthetic" versus just the blend? I, either want to make the jump to full only if it gonna bring noticable gains or stay with blends and maybe try the Motor Craft blend since PP, DC Blend and Motorcraft are all Group III with the exception being the DC Blend which I belive has Group IV PAOs and the other two do not. If I am going from an oil lile the DC Blend which has GRP IV PAOs to the PP which is 100% GRP III and no PAOS, won't that bring less performance like free-revving etc.?
crushedcar.gif
If not then what are the key attributes I need to research to find out which oil is better? Is it HTHS, cst at 100 or Viscosity Index? I live in a hot climate with temps rarely going below 30F.

Don't know that any of the oils mentioned will have anything to do with shifting quicker. It's not just the base stock, but the whole package. Of the oils you mentioned I would choose PP hands down. I lived in Texas for over 40 years and if I still lived there I would use PP 5W20 in my three Honda's. What are you driving, how do you drive, and how many miles a year do you put on your car. I would suggest you send an email or PM to Terry Dyson (site supporter) and ask him his opinion on the PP. I also believe the blends you mentioned are all a Group II & III mix, without any PAO. But things could have changed since I retired.

Ferndog is also an R&D chemist for Shell, so he might be better qualified to answer your technical questions.

Now I'm going back to my family and enjoying retirement.

Good luck
cheers.gif

Hey JOHNNEY,

I got a 2006 Accord V6 and drive, if I were to guess, probably about 20-25k a year. Since I did quite a bit of travelling soon after I bought this car for many months, I don't know.

Johnny, I bought 4 qyarts of PP on sale at Advance Autoparts! The 4 happened to be the last 4 they had in stock!

Yup, I'm sold on atleast "trying" a full synthetic and am going to reward myself at 20,000 miles with PP 5w20!
cheers.gif

Update: I might be mixing 4 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum(Grp III) with .5 quart of Mobil DC 7500 (Grp IV 10-15% PAOs)! Can anyone confirm if the current DC 75k syn. blend has PAOs like it did in previous incarnations?

Last edited:
Im currently running M1 5w20 but I want to run PP next oil change. Does the PP run thin like M1 or like a regular 5w20?

You are correct. PP is GF-4, GM4718M, HTO-06, ACEA A5/B5...
(please refer to label for applications per viscosity grade)

By the way, I am pushing the people internally to update the online information per comments seen on this site.

Ferndog, Thank you for your efforts on the technical data sheets for SOPUS oils. I know that new formulations don't come out with great frequency, but it seems some of those charts have been there unchanged for years.

By the way, I cleaned out the AA store in Pasadena of their entire 5w-30 PP inventory last weekend, having waited for the resupply truck to arrive and taking it right off the pallet.

My local AAP had PP 10w-30 with two different labels, both API SM though.

Type 1 (older, I presume, as it had lower batch numbers, but with the "NEW" logo):
platinumPromo.jpg

Type 2 (with the "adaptive molecules" logo):
PP_front.jpg

The only difference in specs on the back was that the newer labels included a sticker that listed the ACEA A5/B5-04 spec.

So, do we know if this is just different labeling or if the two oils have different composition? I didn't note the dates on the older batch. Is it possible it was still the old, non-group III, version?

Probably the same product but one with the newer label. I like the new label, more color, looks nice. That reminds me, I've got to go to Green Bay next week to pick up 5 cases of 5W20 from my old distributor.
cheers.gif

Ferndog, from an old retiree, keep us up to date on the Platinum line of products. Don't let them drop the ball on this one. We have a good product here.

Well just picked up two cases (12 quarts) of 5W-20 all with the code of HLPA305778 04085/00:58. Some are one minute before, and some are one minute after 00:58. So, I'm thinking that these 12 quarts are before the Group III switchover.

Oh, BTW, got it at the Orlando Navy Exchange or $3.00 per quart. When I went in, they did not have any, even though it was in their newsletter as being on sale, 2 for $6.00. I inquired and the guy who stocks the shelf said that they had not received their shipment, so that was it. I then found one case stashed on the floor, not in its normal place. While shopping in another department, the guy I spoke with, found me and said that he found another case in the back and do I want it. Said yes, so I got all 12 quarts they had.

So is the new label correct and the stuff produced beginning around Nov 2006 is now an improved formula? What changes were made? I've got a 5qt jug which has a date code of Oct 2006, with the older label, and I have 3 single bottles produced in Nov 2006 which have the new label. I'm just curious if I've got two different formulas or are both of them the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back