Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Subaru Impreza TS 5840 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

The only other thing of interest is insolubles, which at 0.3 for this last OCI, is virtually equal to 0.4 for the longer GC OCI.

Nice drop in iron and lead levels (about a third of the GC OCI levels), some increase in copper (about 25 percent)... given that oil analyses could have a +/- 1ppm on anything (including something that really is zero), the copper levels may be about equal in my estimation. Nothing I'm worried about.

Biggest difference in OCIs? I didn't use half a can of throttle body cleaner spray this past OCI
smile.gif
That might have made all the difference in the world on my high iron and lead for the GC run.

I don't know how much we can attribute to Pennzoil Platinum because of my M1 blend, but it seems to be doing a terrific job!

[ December 12, 2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I've said before, and others have said it too, that GC seems to be good in some engines and not good in others. I've seen at least several UOA comparisons that show drops like this when going from GC to a dino. A good reason to UOA different oils to see what works best.

- Glenn

Glenn, I don't think we can blame GC for my increased iron and lead levels, specifically because I dumped half a can of throttle body cleaner into the intake during the middle of the GC OCI. To be fair to GC, I should have run it again without any throttle body cleaner to see any improvements... but I had other reasons for switching (mpg decreased with GC versus M1 0W30, engine felt sluggish, and I couldn't pass up the chance to try a new technology synthetic with the Pennzoil Platinum, especially with the rebates offered when it was first rolled out).

But don't be knockin' GC, pscholte might be lurking!
smile.gif

I don't think TB cleaner can account for increased wear metals, especially in that magnitude. Remember it's only cleaning the inside of the combustion chamber, and only being used for a very short time. Just my opinion.

BTW I didn't catch that you were using Pennzoil synthetic. Haven't learned the P-zone lingo yet. I was thinking dino.

- Glenn

BTW, the UOA numbers come from Blackstone Labs.

Some extra info I forgot to include originally... I used LC20 at 4.5 oz for the original fill, then 1 oz every 500 miles. FP60 at 1 oz each 5 gallons of gas, every tank.

The insolubles went from 0.2 at 733 miles on this oil to 0.3 at 5,840 miles on this oil. Fantastic in my book! Used an OEM Subaru oil filter for this OCI (widely thought to be made by Purolator).

Flashpoint dropped from 410 degrees F to 370 degrees F (somewhat worse than I expected... my 7900 mile OCI with mostly GC ended up with a flashpoint of 415!). Viscosity also dropped from SUS 63.8 to 61.1 (absolutely no concern to me).

Hope these added numbers paint a more complete picture.

I always do a throttle body cleaning (or carb/intake cleaning for me) right before an oil change. I'm pretty sure that stuff will dilute your oil at least to some extent. It's probably best to do that like every 2nd oil change at the most IMO.

Did you consume/add any actual oil? I mean to say you added around 11 ounces of LC after the original 4.5 ounces when you put the platinum in the crankcase - so was this oil 11 ounces over the fill mark when you ended the run?

What is your current fill in the crankcase? How about trying a 5k run of Platinum and NO LC?

Those numbers above with 15 ounces of LC during that run have little meaning as to how well (or not) your mix performed on it's own.

Triple_Se7en, I added 0.5 quarts of M1 0W40 during this interval. And no, the crankcase was not overfilled at the end... it's been written here before that the carrier for LC20 evaporates, leaving the active ingredients behind, thus you don't end up with an overfilled crankcase.

dkryan, you are right, my run with LC20 may have little bearing on how the mix might have performed on its own. Astute observation. Frankly, I'm sold on LC20 and I'm not going to run an OCI without it just to satisfy curiousity. I nominate your car to perform such an experiment if you're interested
smile.gif

And my current fill is 3 qts M1 0W30 (API SL), 1 qt Redline 5W30 (also SL), and LC20. Planning on running AutoRX cycle in the spring, then running M1 EP 5W30 with LC20... no more mixing
smile.gif
I hope!

quote:

dkryan, you are right, my run with LC20 may have little bearing on how the mix might have performed on its own. Astute observation. Frankly, I'm sold on LC20 and I'm not going to run an OCI without it just to satisfy curiousity. I nominate your car to perform such an experiment if you're interested

BIGpaulo: you're on! I have the Platinum stuff in my wife's '05 Highlander. I'll run two 5k OCIs, with a UOA on the second run. So, it may be next fall before you see any results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back