Pennzoil or Valvoline 5w20(full syn) for '99 Accord ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to choose between these two I would use Valvoline. No particular reason, I just like Valvoline better. I think they are both probably overkill since conventional 5w20's are mostly all blends.

Why not try the Mobil One 5w20?

I am running 0w20 (discontinued) Mobil One in a Honda Civic VP and loving it !(how can you really love oil?) I don't know if it is due to 1. new car break in 2. conventional vs synthetic 3. viscosity, but after 10k on the conventional oem 5w20, I changed out to Mobil One 0ws20 and have had a range of .5 to 3 mpg better. The range has gone from 35-38mpg to 37 to 41mpg. The engine seems to run very very smoothly.

I just realized Valvoline does not make a full synthetic 5w20 atleast its not listed on their website.
I didnt quite understand "since conventional 5w20's are mostly all blends", would you mind explaining it to me ?

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:

That is definitely the final option if none of these return favorable response but I really wanted to try and see what are the impressions of some the least talked about oils on this board. I am especially interested in 5w20's with a cSt@100°C < 9, because the M1 5w30 cSt is 10 anyway so wanted to try something that is a little further away from that.

I was going to throw in the Quaker State 5w20 too!

If all these oils I mentioned are not suitable then I'd atleast like to find out why ? What makes them undesirable over the other ones like say Mobil or Havoline etc...?

quote:

Originally posted by AccordMDX:

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:

That is definitely the final option if none of these return favorable response but I really wanted to try and see what are the impressions of some the least talked about oils on this board. I am especially interested in 5w20's with a cSt@100°C < 9, because the M1 5w30 cSt is 10 anyway so wanted to try something that is a little further away from that.

I was going to throw in the Quaker State 5w20 too!

If all these oils I mentioned are not suitable then I'd atleast like to find out why ? What makes them undesirable over the other ones like say Mobil or Havoline etc...?

Perhaps I am a bit confused as to what you really are looking for. Here are some other Honda/Ford specificationed 5w20.

1. I have used Honda oem for 10k interval as per recommended by the oem in regards to first fill intervals.
2. Exxon Mobil Superflo
3. Havoline
4. Chevron Supreme
5. Castrol
6. Pennsoil
7. Quaker State

If I stayed with conventional oil, I would have stayed with Exxon Mobil Superflo 5w20 with 10k intervals. It is extremely hard to beat at 1 or less per quart. Real fine UOA's at 9500 miles.

I'd go with 5w-20 NORMAL pennzoil.

The UOAs show it to work perfect with the Hondas and you can not beat the price / performance.
cheers.gif

My dads 2001 Civic was spotless using it when they had to replace the long block (not oil related) and his V6 Honda motor is showing impressive UOAs using the $2 quart oil.

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

All the 5W-20s are Group II/Group III blends whether they advertise their synthetic contribution or not. Motorcraft and the ConocoPhillips brands (Motorcraft is blended by ConocoPhillips) have indicated 50% or more Group III content when contacted by phone or email. These are VERY good motor oils at bargain basement pricing. The ConocoPhillips and Motorcraft brands are even syn-blends in their 5W-30 and 10W-30 versions, and state so right on the labels.

All the above posts are true. However, I own a 99 Accord with the 2.3 VTEC and I have stayed with 5w-30. Although 5w-20 has indeed shown really good results in engines that specify 5w-20(I'm not a 5w-20 basher - I use it in my 2003 Accord), the original manufacturer's recommendation was for 5w-30 year 'round and 10w-30 if the temp remains above 20 degree F. The good news is Valvoline synthetic is available in 5w-30 and, at least around here, is sometimes up to $1.00 a quart less expensive than Mobil 1. FYI, I currently have Mobil 7500 5w-30 in the engine ($2.08 a quart at Wally World - the Mobil 1 is $5.19) - the few UOAs I've seen look really good. I also have a moderately large stash of Philips Trop Arctic synthetic blend (still available at Wally World for $1.24 a quart), both 5w-30 and 10w-30 and I will start to use this when the Accord is due for a change. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Any thoughts on which one should I choose for a '99 Accord 4-cyl VTEC ?
Currently I am using M1 full syn 5w30 and would like to try out a good full syn 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back