Pennzoil Math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, Wal-Mart, Vestal, NY

Pennzoil 10W-30 5 quart container @ $10.77. That's $2.15 a quart PLUS 8.5% sales tax.

Pennzoil 10W-30 single quarts @ $1.59 each.
Plus the 8.5% sales tax.

Actually, all weights in single quart containers were $1.59 and all weights in five quart containers were $10.77.
Go figure.....literally.
Thanks.

I notice this happening more and more. I also notice it happens the most (BY FAR!) at Wal-Suck. I am betting they assume most people are not capable of doing the math or not willing to do the math and just grab the "big one", as it must be cheaper. I think its really funny when they post the price per oz (or whatever unit) right on the label.

Maybe people are willing to pay for the convienience of one container over five seperate?

I find the one quart containers more convenient because the 4 or 5 quart jugs require a funnel to pour in the engine. The big jugs do go in a lot quicker though.

It's possible that they've mispriced that single quart oil. Could scan in at $2.30 or so.

If you catch them doing that, it's $3 off the lowest of the two prices.

I have a mismanaged walmart that I self-scan various products looking for discrepancies. Stocked up on pre-katrina havoline doing this.
smile.gif

I rejoiced when I saw 5-qt containers of Pennzoil 5w-20 at Wal-Mart--the first 5-qt containers of any 5w-20 I've ever seen in this area. Then I noticed that the 5-qt containers were more expensive than the singles!

Bah!

My walmart was doing this same thing a couple of months back. Five quarts of Castrol Start up was cheaper than a five gallon jug of regular GTX.

I use the empty 5 qt containers to dispose of used oil. Doesn't seem worth it for an extra $.50 cents a quart...at least not in New York. You do not see qt prices that cheap here though. 5 qt jugs are $10.77.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back