Pennzoil gold or platinum. Which would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a 30k mile chevy equinox on a 5k oci. About 50% highway miles. I plan on running the car for a few hundred k.

Does spending the extra $5 for platinum get me anything special or would you stick with the semi syn?

By the way, how do you guys feel about pennzoil gold? My understanding is it is 50% synthetic rather than the usual 30%

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think the blend would be prudent since a full synthetic PP would be a waste with 5K oil changes. Ed

I agree you will not gain anything spending that extra $ on the full synthetic for a 5k change.

I agree with Eddie that Pennzoil Gold is a fine choice for a 5k mile run. I have run Pennzoil Gold 5w30 and I was pleased. For $17.47 at Wally World it is not a bad oil to go with.

You could buy the platinum 5qt for about $25 at Walmart and send in for $10 rebate ($2/qt). See product rebates and sales forum for link. You would only pay $15 after MIR. Would only be $12 and change if you catch it on rollback.

If you don't like rebates then the Gold syn blend would work fine too as both of these are dexos.

thumbsup2.gif
Another vote for Pennzoil Gold

Go for the gold, spend the extra $5 for Platinum.
Or better, change to Mobil 1, your Chevy Equinox will last forever.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Go for the gold, spend the extra $5 for Platinum.
Or better, change to Mobil 1, your Chevy Equinox will last forever louder.

FTFY

Jokes aside:

+1 for Pennzoil Gold

Last edited:
I'd use the Gold for a 5K OCI....maybe even a 7K OCI.
I wish Walmart carried the 5w20 version.

If this is an Equinox with an NA engine, the Gold would be fine with me.
If it's a newer one with a turbo, I'd use the Platinum...just my preference with an item that is known to run hot and at high RPMs.

You can leave the Pennz Gold in for a LOT longer than just 5K miles. Draining it that early isn't going to extend your engine life or increase your gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
If this is an Equinox with an NA engine, the Gold would be fine with me.
If it's a newer one with a turbo, I'd use the Platinum...just my preference with an item that is known to run hot and at high RPMs.

Just did a quick google and see that the turbo versions start with the 2018 model year, so not likely to be an issue here!
Gold is definitely my call, then.

I didn't like the GOLD SS DEXOS 5w30 at all. NOT AT ALL! Not even in the snow blower. May have been a bad mix of base oils at the time (it ALWAYS varies on commodity items). But I'm not going back there.
The best in that line ( for the average output modern engine) is actually what used to be the BRONZE BOTTLE HIGH MILEAGE 5W30.

I'm not sure I'm loving the new new QSUD I have in the rogue. It even came out of the new redesigned bottle
smile.gif

So far Castrol Magnatec SS was better for torque and HP preservation. I need more time on the oil though before I render FINAL JUDGEMENT. Only have 300 miles since the OC.

You may have to go for the Mossy green bottle!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back