Pennz Plat 5W30 - 7247 Miles - 2.2 Ecotec - 07HHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
PP continues to impress. Definately one of the best oils on the market, especially when considering the price.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Originally Posted By: jimgliden

Even though this is a tough engine change the filter every time or you're asking for trouble. What's a few dollars for a filter compared to a filter collapse from overuse?

Yup

With that type of logic, why don't you change it twice per OCI? If the manufacturer trusts it for two OCI's, it's a waste to change it more often.

Good point. It has been shown on this board that higher end filters such as the Amsoil Ea0 can go two, three, four cycles at 5K OCI's. I plan on being conservative and changing the Ea0 every 10K on my Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Titan
I run Wix filters for two OCI's, the Insoluables come back the same...less than 0.2. Cut them open after one OCI or two...they look the same. Honda filters are to be changed every 20,000 miles. If you have a good filter, you don't have to worry about "collapse from overuse". Maybe just don't use a GM filter? I actually have no idea of the quality of a GM filter.

Honda used to allow up to 20k under normal service if you used the correct filter. The newer models have an OLM that will tell you whether or not an oil filter change is part of this service.

Either way, the point is that Honda recommends this practice, whereas GM does not. The filters are built to OEM specifications, so the Honda filter would theoretically be built to withstand the longer intervals. In addition, insolubles alone may not be the best guide to filter performance. You should consider adding a particle count as well.

Even though this is a tough engine change the filter every time or you're asking for trouble. What's a few dollars for a filter compared to a filter collapse from overuse?

Yup

With that type of logic, why don't you change it twice per OCI? If the manufacturer trusts it for two OCI's, it's a waste to change it more often.

I've seen some silly stuff but this takes the cake. Gm does not recomend an every other but Honda does. So whats' your point? We're talking about Gm here are we not?

Yup

I've seen some silly stuff but this takes the cake. Gm does not recomend an every other but Honda does. So whats' your point? We're talking about Gm here are we not?

It's supposed to be silly. It's silly for people to fret so much about this stuff. If GM filters aren't up to the task, don't use them for two OCI's. WIX filters, and many others, ARE up to the task, so, they can be used for more than one OCI. It also depends upon the OCI. 15,000 mile OCI's certainly impose different requirements on filters than 3000 mile OCI's.

If unsure, follow the Manufacturer's directions. If further educated otherwise, follow the path of the educational facts.

being a anal bitgo'r, i would change my filter every time...i honestly dont think i could go 10k on any oil either...maybe 9k

i am glad jim the GM service mgr is here...i am hoping he is right on the ecotec 2.2

My opinion has always been why would you want to run clean oil through a dirty filter. Just does not make any since to me. After you take your shower do you put your dirty under ware back on? Or would you wash your clothes or dishes in dirty water?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
My opinion has always been why would you want to run clean oil through a dirty filter. Just does not make any since to me. After you take your shower do you put your dirty under ware back on? Or would you wash your clothes or dishes in dirty water?

That has to be the worst metaphor I have ever seen on this board.

Dirty or clean oil filter makes no difference what so ever as long as the dirt is not getting "through" the filter. Both filters provide clean oil on the outflowing side of the filter.

I thought it was right on. (...and hilarious, too!)

The Ecotec uses a cartridge filter that doesn't cause you to lose any oil when changing it. That's all the more reason to change the filter more often, or at least at every oil change. I did have a Pur One oil filter show deterioration of the filter material at about 5,000 miles on the oil. I'm going with an AC Delco or Wix for my next one.

I had one UOA with PP 5w30 at 5,0000 miles and it looked great, too. I love that engine!

In any event, I'll be changing the cartridge with every oil change lol...way too easy to change not to do it

Goose

The Wix and AC Delco ecotec filters are practically identical looking when placed side by side. The last ecotec Wix I saw was stamped made in Hungary (I think... one of those former Eastern Bloc countries, could have been Bulgaria, too), the AC Delco was a re-marked Hengst filter, stamped made in USA. Hengst makes very high quality filters.

Goose, good UOA!

Originally Posted By: chet2
i am glad jim the GM service mgr is here...i am hoping he is right on the ecotec 2.2

My comments are regarding highway miles.

Originally Posted By: chet2
i have that 2.2 in my sunfire...what a oil pennz is...they said change the filter every other time, amazing...i will try this oil next oil change and go 10 k...the engine is ballsy but i wish it got a little better mileage

I've considered (or I'm considering) a Cobalt or HHR as a commuter car because I have a lot of points on my GM card. How does the mileage compare with a Corolla (which is the other car I'm considering)?

pbm, I have a 2007 HHR w/ the 2.2 engine and auto trans. I get around 33mpg on the road and tend to average 27 in my city work commute. It is not big city urban 15mph creep along congested traffic commuting, though, I would never get that kind of mpg, its midwestern city population @ 130,000 commuting-- plenty of stoplights but you can get going okay between lights, avg commuting speed 30 - 45mph. This is on Mobil Clean 5000 5W30. I'll be switching to Q-Horsepower 5W30 synth soon (got it free after rebates last yr from Pep Boys).. hoping for slight mpg improvement w/ the Q.

pbm, I'm avg'ing the 27 now, in the cold winter weather snow, adn etc., I was avg'ing around 25mpg on the commute.
That was with morning startup in a heated attached garage that stays about 55 deg in winter, and the coming home startup being an outside temp startup. This info helps factor in warm up times.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. I'm averaging 24 or 25 mpg with a Buick Century 3.1. It's hardly worth the upgrade/downgrade. I
drive home via the Major Deegan Expwy to the G. Washington Bridge (right past Yankee Stadium) in bumper to bumper trafic and still get decent mileage. Maybe I'll stick with the Buick for a bit longer. Thanks Guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back