Papers Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last two years I've posted of them closing down the highway near here, which is the only road from the big city to the state's interior for a week at a time, to stop every vehicle for RBT, drug check, roadworthy etc.

This afternoon is the night before a holiday weekend, and is normally pretty busy on the roads as people load up and head west.

Perfect situation for a papers check point.

Close down the highway to a single lane, then start pointing cars in, for RBT, drugs, roadworthy inspection for 4WDs, check engineers papers for modifiactions, gun owners with their firearms and papers out at the side of the road (when you have a gun licence, you rego plate is linked, and they will get "may be armed" when they radio the plate through *)

IMG_0466.jpg

As to the *, we no longer use inspection labels on the windshield, the police cars are fitted with licence plate recognition systems that automatically alert the officers to your status. A mate was recently ticketted/defected for having his plate where the camera couldn't see.

I can see why they are stopping ya mate, you're driving the wrong way.
Ain't big govt fun. I have to go through inspection anytime I leave town. My inspection is by the Fed Govt. As to guns....don't go there.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I can see why they are stopping ya mate, you're driving the wrong way.
Ain't big govt fun. I have to go through inspection anytime I leave town. My inspection is by the Fed Govt. As to guns....don't go there.

Come to NY! You'll really love it here!

Last edited:
You guys need more crime there....our cops are too busy for such nonsense. We do get drunk driver checkpoints on Friday or Saturday nights but that is about it. Some states are doing motorcycle stops.

Oof, that notion of tying your gun ownership to a license plate has me nervous. ACLU should be all over that.

I remember watching the old black-and-white WWII and spy movies as a kid, where, "Show me your papers," was symbolic of repression and totalitarianism. Dirty Krauts (or Russkies, or whoever), demanding to see people's papers. That will never happen here!

My, how times change.

Looks like your location description is becoming a reality.

Loc: a prison island

Originally Posted By: dparm
Oof, that notion of tying your gun ownership to a license plate has me nervous. ACLU should be all over that.

I was pulled over in Virginia a few weeks ago. When my plate was run, the police officer knew that I had a CCW permit...it's linked to my DL...which is linked to the registration on my car...

So, when pulled over, he knew I "could" be armed...

The officer was very polite. I got a warning when I could have received a ticket.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
revenue generation at its best.

The effort that they had before Christmas pulled over 50,000 drivers for less than a dozen positive breath tests.

Truckers are only allowed 8 hour shifts, and were held for up to an hour while they went over their rigs and through their manifests.

Not revenue, simple demonstration of power.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I rarely get pulled over, but when the officer is warned "may be armed", instead of "treasurer of a rifle club", things start off un pretty. Twice have had the officer unclip his holster approaching the car. Not conducive to warnings.

Posted previously of a standoff that my Dad had driving home from squash with his licence in his squash bag in the trunk of his car.

Cop wanted ID, but didn't want my "may be armed" Dad in the bag in the trunk of his car.

When that stuff starts up here, there won't be anywhere else to go. America is really the last great hope of mankind. It's imperative that we don't allow this.

Shannow, it looks like you'd be a great "American", and I'd welcome you to Florida, where it is still free!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back