Pan Fried Salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good Pops

Really good.

We (well I) like a few crushed capers, black pepper and (meyer) lemon juice.

I eat salmon probably once a week as well, although in head form. My roommate's gf's family owns a sushi cafe and I get a whole salmon head with collar attached every Thursday for free (they just toss it before I got involved). It either gets roasted whole with roast-able vegetables or turned into soup.

Originally Posted By: cutter
I eat salmon probably once a week as well, although in head form. My roommate's gf's family owns a sushi cafe and I get a whole salmon head with collar attached every Thursday for free (they just toss it before I got involved). It either gets roasted whole with roast-able vegetables or turned into soup.

Slightly OT:

Soup recipes? We always give our fish heads to the locals down in the VI.

Ever make snapper soup (given your locality)?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: cutter

Slightly OT:

Soup recipes? We always give our fish heads to the locals down in the VI.

Ever make snapper soup (given your locality)?

These are my two favorites, both Asian:

Japanese style salmon head soup: http://honest-food.net/2012/08/20/salmon-head-soup-recipe/

Vietnamese sweet/sour/savory fish soup (stew really): http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2007/08/canh-chua-ca-vietnamese-sour-fish-soup.html

Serve that with rice.

the Viet one being especially my favorite.

The nice thing about making salmon head soup is that it doesn't take long to form a good body, a half hour should suffice even.

Also, I've never made snapper soup. I caught one while fishing in Bucks county , maybe I should have kept it.

Looks delicious. We used to eat it at least one time a week, but mom has had very poor luck with the freshness of the "fresh" stuff.

Pop_Rivit, how much oil/butter did you use? I take it, you started out with a hot skillet?

This was our salmon tonight. We had marinated some wold caught Alaskan salmon in a variety of spices and oil. It included the seasoning mix from the Pepper Plant in the California central coast area.

35CD3DF6-A443-4784-9136-3CC35124D39C-16917-00000D4EB772275D_zps6cd9d839.jpg

Heated up some butter and oil (I usually just cook in EVOO or EVCO), because Pop mentioned it in this thread (someday Ill season in old bay too like the OP but not tonight). Put them in skin side up for two minutes. These were fairly thin.

69F3048F-FB4C-4FF3-9FE8-4EC538BF0330-16917-00000D4EBFE87CB9_zps9f99795a.jpg

Cooked up some mixed color peppers with garlic and red onions, and also made some Annie's macaroni and cheese as our "bad" item. It was all delicious. I far prefer the flavor of wild salmon, it carries some additional flavor that I can't place, but I seem to notice when it is farmed/"Atlantic". Quite a good dinner.

3C3DE83E-FF4A-4664-91AB-E2C6C65B5B8D-16917-00000D4EC8F6822F_zps432ad13e.jpg

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Im surprised that you say OB is low sodium.

There is a low(er) sodium version:
http://www.oldbay.com/Products/Old-Bay-Less-Sodium-Seasoning

Thanks. I had assumed that it would be obvious that I use the low sodium version-I guess I should have spelled it out.

Why would that be obvious? I sure don't. With sufficient exercise, sweating and a good health level, a little salty seasoning isn't a big deal.

Of course some (not this) "low salt" stuff usually replaces Na with K, and that's good for other reasons...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Im surprised that you say OB is low sodium.

There is a low(er) sodium version:
http://www.oldbay.com/Products/Old-Bay-Less-Sodium-Seasoning

Thanks. I had assumed that it would be obvious that I use the low sodium version-I guess I should have spelled it out.

Why would that be obvious? I sure don't. With sufficient exercise, sweating and a good health level, a little salty seasoning isn't a big deal.

Of course some (not this) "low salt" stuff usually replaces Na with K, and that's good for other reasons...

Again, I had made an assumption that when I said that it was reasonably low in sodium that anyone reading would understand that I was referring to the low sodium version. I didn't think it was a difficult concept to grasp, but I was clearly wrong.

I'm using Old Bay Seasoning this time-it's low sodium, healthy and is a good all around seasoning for seafood.

I didnt even know one (low-sodium) existed. And Old Bay is used by the TON not 50 miles away from here in MD...

Pretty irrelevant though. Back to cooking salmon... Because it is such a great fish!

Show us some new techniques as you do them. Id never tried a butter-oil mix, any other recommendations? Ever cook steaks vs fillets? Differences for farmed vs wild?

That looks really good. We love salmon but our daughter seems to be allergic to it. No other fish, just salmon, what do you make of that?

I'm using Old Bay Seasoning this time-it's low sodium, healthy and is a good all around seasoning for seafood.

I didnt even know one (low-sodium) existed. And Old Bay is used by the TON not 50 miles away from here in MD...

Pretty irrelevant though. Back to cooking salmon... Because it is such a great fish!

Show us some new techniques as you do them. Id never tried a butter-oil mix, any other recommendations? Ever cook steaks vs fillets? Differences for farmed vs wild?

butter has a low smoking point. Vegetable have higher (it varies with the type of oil). Mix them together... you get the flavor of the butter mixed into the oil.

though technically, brown butter has complexity in its flavor also.

Old Bay seasoning is made in the Hunt Valley, MD McCormick plant.

It's not the butter fat that's the issue...it's the things in the butter, that give it the flavour and the smoke...oil gives it the chance to melt.

Melt the lot, and get the butter fat off, and it's high smoke point.

Butter/olive oil I thought was something that your mothers taught you in your primary years as the perfect way to make crumbed lamb cutlets and schnitzels.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's not the butter fat that's the issue...it's the things in the butter, that give it the flavour and the smoke...oil gives it the chance to melt.

Melt the lot, and get the butter fat off, and it's high smoke point.

Butter/olive oil I thought was something that your mothers taught you in your primary years as the perfect way to make crumbed lamb cutlets and schnitzels.

That's why there is clarified butter. It's melted butter with the milk solids & water removed from it.

Pop_Rivit, where did you find the skinless salmon, or did you fillet it off yourself? We shop at Wheatsfield often and haven't seen it.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Pop_Rivit, where did you find the skinless salmon, or did you fillet it off yourself? We shop at Wheatsfield often and haven't seen it.

Trick for ya how to grill or pan fry salmon with skin on oil and season flesh side lay flesh side on hot grill or pan and COVER pan or grill. Few minutes pass lift grill cover or pan skin will peel off season and flip works every time.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Trick for ya how to grill or pan fry salmon with skin on oil and season flesh side lay flesh side on hot grill or pan and COVER pan or grill. Few minutes pass lift grill cover or pan skin will peel off season and flip works every time.

Thanks for the tip- we do similar and then remove after cooking. I was curious how the OP got the skin off, so I could replicate his methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back