Oversize for Fram PH8A or equivalent(5.0 Mustang)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oversize filter can I use on my 5.0 Mustang? Thanks! (And no, I don't use Fram
tongue.gif
)

Here are some specs to help you out.

The stock Purolator filter for the 5.0 is the L30001, which is 3.78x5.24, with an 8-11psi bypass and an antidrainback.

I see a filter here with the same connection but is 3.74x7.13, with an 8-12psi bypass and antidrainback, it's part number L40316.

I'm not saying to use these Purolator filters (esp since they now have cardboard endcaps in some cases) but you can use this number to cross reference to other filters, such as the NAPA Gold 1333.

[ January 22, 2003, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Thank you, Patman. Is the information you have available on the web somewhere so that I can do some more research on my own?

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrolkid:
Thank you, Patman. Is the information you have available on the web somewhere so that I can do some more research on my own?

Unfortunately no, the information I got was out of the 2002 Purolator catalog. I emailed them last year and asked them to send me one. It's been very helpful in determining bigger filters for a lot of people, since it shows a lot of specs in the back of it. I don't think too many other oil filter catalogs show all the specs like this one does. I just wish this catalog showed cross references to the Bosch Premium and K&N oil filters though. But it's still a good starting point, since most catalogs should at least show the cross reference to the Purolator part numbers.

Thanks again-

Here is some more information I found:

THe Purolator L40316(PER316) cross-references with Fram PH2815, Amsoil SDF15. It is the OEM filter for VW Eurovan 5cyl gas and Diesel,
Volvo 740,760 diesel

The Purolator L30341 (Xreferences with Fram PH2815) fits a number of different Ferraris

If you cross reference the PH2815 Fram, you then get Purolator 30257 (which als Xreferences with Fram3569) which fits Audi A4 6cyl

The L40316 also cross references with Champ PH2901

I'm going to Autozone now to see what I can dig up....

Just came back from Autozone. They don't have the PH2815, nor the purolator L40316. Autozone Xreferenced Fram PH3569 and STP5369, which are the same size as the PH8A. The mission continues.....

I'd suggest avoiding crossreferencing any more than absolutely necessary. If you can, start with the engine you're using and find that filter application for each brand of filter.

Filter makers build some compromises into many filters they make, but the filters are still suitable for the engines they're spec'ed for. But...with crossing a cross, you can get compromises which make the filter no longer right for that engine.

If you're looking for a bigger filter and find one that fits, go back and find the engine that filter is designed for. Then, use the reference for that engine to find filters of other brands.

Ken

Ha ha.. back from the dead.

Hi all. I've got an oil cooler I'll be setting up on my 1MZ-FE Toyota engine. This engine uses the K&N HP-1002 filter. The remote filter adapter I will be using for the cooler calls for a Fram PH8A equivalent which ends up being a K&N HP-3001.

Two questions here:

1)Is there a downsize to using a larger filter? I.E. pumping losses, pressure differentials, etc. for flowing through a larger filtering element

2)I've got access to these K&N filters for cheap. How do I found out whether they will fit the filter adapter if the adapter simply calls for a 3/4-16 threads:

HP-1002
HP-2010
HP-1007
HP-2004
HP-2009
HP-2010
HP-1004

What I'm thinking is that maybe one of these filters will fit the adapter. How do I find this out? Unfortunately K&N's website does not show thread size.

Thanks

The longer version of the FL1A is the FL299. Everything is the same but the can is 1.5 inches longer and probably a bit thicker sheet metal. Go to Advance Auto and order it in Purolator (L40017) for $6. They should have it for you in a day. I have bought many L40017s this way. Ans as a bonus the Purolator L40017 has a threaded end bypass valve. That is the best oversized filter to run in a FL1A applicaiton. Other brands just x-ref the FL299 or my list:

Wix 51773
NAPA Gold 1773 (a Wix)
Purolator L40017
Fram (do you really want to know this?): PH977A
Fleetguard (see a truck parts place or tractor dealer): LF697

quote:

Originally posted by ted s:
why try to out due the guy who designed the motor?

He had cost restraints plus was designing for different models. Often a bigger filter costs the same retail. Beware of large, empty orange cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back