Outrageous Dealer Add-Ons and Fees - When Will They Learn?

I refuse to pay their "Doc fees"

Just tell them to sign the title over and I will handle the courthouse myself.

We recently test-drove a 2024 Nissan Pathfinder at a reputable dealership. It was a top of the line model with everything we wanted, but it had seven manufacturer options (six of them worthless in our opinion) that added $5,400(!) to the price. The most outrageous was a "lighting package" for $945 that included "welcome lighting" and "kickplate lighting". And then there was a roof rack cross bar option for $410. The dealer said that's the way Nissan sends them, which I believe.

But on top of that, there was another $2,000-something worth of dealer add-ons. They actually waived the price of the dealer add-ons, but had the audacity to show it as a discount from list! Bottom line was they wanted me to pay $52,600 + taxes, etc. for a vehicle with an base MSRP of $50,950.

We essentially "ran away, ran away" and ended up buying a comparably-equipped (and better handling) Kia Telluride. It has only two inexpensive manufacturer add-ons plus dealer-added ceramic window tint. The bonuses were a longer warranty and the Kia dealer being the closest to our home.

Have to say I'm glad Nissan ran us away with overpriced options, because the Telluride is a better vehicle in most respects. I can see why it has received so many accolades.

Gross

It’s adequate but nowhere near “real sports car powertrain” lol
I can certainly say that about the 2008 Odyssey we owned for five years. Its virtues were versatility, roominess, and front seat comfort. Downsides were wind noise (not leaks) and crappy brakes prone to warped rotors. Also, the cylinder deactivation was quite noticeable and annoying. Hopefully Honda has addressed those issue since them.

It's ridiculous. I was looking at buying a new mustang GT and the dealer wanted nearly $3k for fees. Just like you, OP.

And they wouldn't budge. It's bad enough the lowest interest rates available are double what they were a couple years ago and the price of these cars has climbed so much to make it bonkers.

I got fed up and said screw it and decided to put $10k worth of go fast parts in the mustang I already own. Terrible financial investment but so is a $55k new car at 5% interest.

We recently test-drove a 2024 Nissan Pathfinder at a reputable dealership. It was a top of the line model with everything we wanted, but it had seven manufacturer options (six of them worthless in our opinion) that added $5,400(!) to the price. The most outrageous was a "lighting package" for $945 that included "welcome lighting" and "kickplate lighting". And then there was a roof rack cross bar option for $410. The dealer said that's the way Nissan sends them, which I believe.

But on top of that, there was another $2,000-something worth of dealer add-ons. They actually waived the price of the dealer add-ons, but had the audacity to show it as a discount from list! Bottom line was they wanted me to pay $52,600 + taxes, etc. for a vehicle with an base MSRP of $50,950.

We essentially "ran away, ran away" and ended up buying a comparably-equipped (and better handling) Kia Telluride. It has only two inexpensive manufacturer add-ons plus dealer-added ceramic window tint. The bonuses were a longer warranty and the Kia dealer being the closest to our home.

Have to say I'm glad Nissan ran us away with overpriced options, because the Telluride is a better vehicle in most respects. I can see why it has received so many accolades.
Be cautious of their warranty.

We bought a new sportage last year and soon discovered a minor HVAC issue/annoyance.

Spoke with the Dealer and were told they were so backed up with work that it could be up to 2 months (or more possibly) for them to look at. Especially, since I couldn't magically replicate the issue on command.

They also couldn't lend us a car and have zero obligation to loan out a car. Kia corporate even told me that their dealers get to pick and choose if they will lend out a car and their warranty/repair schedule.

So.....no more Kia cars in our future. Lol screw that nonsense

Have you looked at CPO as an option? Alot of dealerships even add extra warranty. Some are. Very lightly used with the initial deprecation out of the way.

This can definitely be a good option. I am, however, extremely cautious of CPO anymore. Wife and I have test driven a few CPO that were hammered and ran like dog snot. No clue why a couple of them were even on the lot, they were so bad.

Back