Ouch - don't change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I could understand some salesman from a small oil distributor making a recommendation like this (my FG grease is better than yours approach) but I do not understand someone from Chevron recommending a calcium acetate grease for this application.

Kinda what I was contemplating.....maybe it all started at the hydrant company searching alternatives....and the distributor not going any deeper...I didn't catch any of those details in the piece.

These type of stories tend to feed my OCD tendencies to do things "by the book", within a reasonable degree.

As an example, a lot of people here recommend using an OAT based universal/fits all coolant in vehicles that recommend HOAT coolant.

How do we know that this might not lead to problems, not in a few years, but maybe farther down the road?

As I mature, I am not so sensitive anymore about people critising me about being anal about these kind of things.....because of stories like this.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Ouch indeed!!!!!!!!

Ouch? Are you kidding me? This would be like you or I losing a lawsuit for $40. That amount of money is a few hours profit for Chevron.

But a blemish on their public face and that of their products....

But the average person outside of BITOG could give a toss less about what Chevron or any other oil mogul does. All that they have been conditioned to believe is that all the companies are faceless, evil greed monsters that want to take their paychecks away.

Why use food machinery grease in a fire hydrant? The food grade grease is non-toxic...it is designed to pass through the body without being absorbed...but it would still be an "oil spill" pollution issue on the ground unless the grease was also suitably biodegradable.

Another usage I've heard of for a food grade lube is oil in the shaft bearings of some deep well ag pumps. I have the same question as above.

The hydrants feed off of the same system as our drinking water. I think that true in most places. That would be why food grade grease is required.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
These type of stories tend to feed my OCD tendencies to do things "by the book", within a reasonable degree.

As an example, a lot of people here recommend using an OAT based universal/fits all coolant in vehicles that recommend HOAT coolant.

How do we know that this might not lead to problems, not in a few years, but maybe farther down the road?

As I mature, I am not so sensitive anymore about people critising me about being anal about these kind of things.....because of stories like this.

Bingo! GF 48 does not equal GF 5! Sorry to be off topic, but doitmyself is right on the money and back on topic I would bet it was the fault of the little salesman, not Chevron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back