Original moon landing 1969

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Many say the moon landing never happened in 1969
The world is full of morons and fools...you're better off ignoring them...

+1
Go ask Buzz and let us know how that works out for you.
+1
Buzz will give it to you straight...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I watched several Apollo launches from about 5.5 miles out while pretending to fish the Indian River. They would buzz us in a small plane but never ran us off. The official observation platform was 10 miles out.

The Saturn V made the Space Shuttle look like cheap fireworks...

That Saturn V rocket in many ways was the most powerful rocket ever developed in the world! The Russians used a more powerful launch platform for their version of the space shuttle but it was not a single rocket with multiple engines like the Saturn V.

So these people who claim the Moon landing was faked are also, for all practical purposes, also claiming that the USA developed that powerful Saturn V rocket at considerable expense all for fake Moon landings!

You were there. You saw that powerful Saturn V rocket being launched. Did it look fake to you?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
So these people who claim the Moon landing was faked are also, for all practical purposes, also claiming that the USA developed that powerful Saturn V rocket at considerable expense all for fake Moon landings!

The automotive equivalent would be a car company spending billions on R&D to create a clean diesel engine but then faking the emissions readings.

Oh wait ..............

I watched several Apollo launches from about 5.5 miles out while pretending to fish the Indian River. They would buzz us in a small plane but never ran us off. The official observation platform was 10 miles out.

As a child i saw skylab launched. It was on a saturn V. I don't know where we were, i'm guessing 10 miles away. I still remember the roar and the crackle.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

As a child i saw skylab launched. It was on a saturn V. I don't know where we were, i'm guessing 10 miles away. I still remember the roar and the crackle.

Even just watching the Saturn V launches on TV was impressive. If the Moon landings were fake they sure spent a lot of money to make it all convincing.

It would have been extremely foolish for the USA to fake the Moon landings. Sooner or later it would have come out that the landings had been faked and the USA would have been criticized by everybody in the world.

The Saturn V was developed for the Moon landings and it is obvious to anybody who saw the launches of that powerful rocket that it had the power to actually send people to the Moon.

And people in other countries probably could determine for themselves that the USA actually did in fact send men to the Moon. Those other countries could monitor communications and so forth. And in fact various other countries were involved in various ways with the communication and in other ways assisted the USA with the Moon landings.

I would think with a powerful enough telescope that the left behind moon buggy, etc on the surface of the moon could be seen.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I would think with a powerful enough telescope that the left behind moon buggy, etc on the surface of the moon could be seen.

Looking through Earth's atmosphere kills resolution. Let' say you train Hubble on the Moon. Hubble's angular resolution is 0.05 arc second. Not even the Hubble can resolve objects smaller than about 180 feet across at its distance (a bit under 380,000 km) from the Moon. So no, you cannot see any gear left behind on the Moon even with our most powerful optics. With the LROC ( Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter), the highest resolution lunar camera we have, the Moon buggy would show up as a few pixels, but that isn't detailed enough to identify any object. You can only confirm that something is there.

LROC

LROC camera specs

We left a retroreflector up there and can tag it with a laser.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

We left a retroreflector up there and can tag it with a laser.

Excellent point. I wonder if any DIYer has has tried this or if it would be possible for a DIYer to attempt. Would the retroreflector is still in good enough shape?

I have a friend who is a smart guy that is so stubborn when it comes to the moon landings. He doesn't think we went there, mainly due to the Van Allen Belt.

However, if you do the research, the evidence is so overwhelming that we did go to the moon. It was an amazing feat and amazing time period. Science and space exploration were a major driving force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings

Many independent third parties have also confirmed we went there. There really isn't any disputing it at this point. My friend's argument is "Well why haven't we gone back in 40 years?" and "How did we get through the Van Allen Belt?".

I guess he isn't that smart LOL.

There's a special kind of stupid is the only way I can explain it.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I wonder if any DIYer has has tried this or if it would be possible for a DIYer to attempt. Would the retroreflector is still in good enough shape?

The short answers are no (unless you have the money for a very sensitive detector telescope) and yes.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Neat story about the dump truck. I was 12 years old. I followed the space program through my formative years and enjoyed science in general. When they got to the moon, I thought it was a neat achievement, but didn't understand all the hoopla. They said they were going to the moon, and they went to the moon. In a child's mind, adults did that, they set a goal and they achieve the goal. It was just the way the world worked in my innocent mind. As the years passed I grew to realize what an amazing achievement the moon landings were, and still are.

Absolutely. Though for my money, for sheer awesome dramatic power, the 1968 Apollo 8 journey is in some ways even greater. They were the first to leave Earth orbit and circle another celestial body, the first to pass through the Van Allen belts, the first to see, from orbit, the surface of the moon. If something had gone wrong, they would have been out of luck -- no way to mount a rescue. And then they did it at Christmastime, with the crew broadcasting their reading from the Book of Genesis. You couldn't ask for a more dramatic event.

We had every reason to believe the Age of Space Exploration was here, that we'd have a Luna City in 10 years and a Mars colony in 20. What happened?

Obligatory:
cat-moon.jpg

Originally Posted By: kschachn

There's a special kind of stupid is the only way I can explain it.

There is no way the Moon landings were faked. It is ridiculous to believe stuff like that. There were too many people involved, too much money spent on equipment like launch vehicles, and even people in other countries including scientists and engineers involved.

Just the communications alone involved several countries.

And other countries could monitor some of the communications that were coming from the spacecraft on the way to the Moon, on the Moon, and coming back.

And if the USA had faked the Moon landings, it would eventually all come out and the USA would be laughed at by other countries forever.

I don't know why some people refuse to believe the Moon landings took place. Do they also believe that satellites were not put into Earth orbit? People could actually see various kinds of satellites and manned spacecraft in orbit. Some satellites could be seen with the naked eye. People with knowledge of mathematics could calculate themselves the orbits of the spacecraft.

And spacecraft have been sent far beyond just the Moon. Human beings have not travelled beyond the Moon, but unmanned spacecraft have explored essentially the entire social system. Were all of the photos and data collected by those spacecraft faked also? If unmanned spacecraft could be sent to other planets, even all the way to Pluto and its moons, why would be be impossible to send human beings to the Moon, using very powerful launch vehicles?

Various countries have now had some of their own citizens in Earth orbit. Going to the Moon is a trip of a few days and having powerful enough equipment to get the job done. It is far from being impossible using technology that human beings had in 1969 (for that matter-1968) and that human beings have today.

Last edited:

Too small to be seen from Earth. However you can detect it on photos from the LRO satellite. You can also clearly see the foot paths left by the astronauts.
584398main_M168353795RE_25cm_AP12_area.jpg

In this photo, Bean & Conrad walked around the crater and right up to the Surveyor 3 spacecraft! Here's a photo of Conrad posing with it with their lunar lander in the background:

877px-Surveyor_3-Apollo_12.jpg

Imagine walking up to an object sent by your own home planet years ago! This was definitely the first time this had ever happened before. Not sure if they did it again, or not....

Amazing photographs from another age....

When the country was motivated by science and exploration. It's dropping off and not a good thing at all. Science improves our lives in so many ways.

We unfortunately have a large sector (south and Midwest) of this country that still thinks the Earth was created in 7 days. Scary.

Originally Posted By: buster
When the country was motivated by science and exploration. It's dropping off and not a good thing at all. Science improves our lives in so many ways.

Buster that is absolutely not true.

Universities are doing literally hundreds of times the research they were doing 40 years ago.
Go to any research University and it will blow your mind. There are over 99 Very High Research and 108 High Research Universities. Also 90 Doctoral Research Universities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States

I get up to PSU (RU/VH) quite frequently and they have their own manufacturing research where countries all over the world come to learn. No one even comes close to the U.S..

The thing you see is NASA doing less. That is as it should be. The private sector/universities do it better and in fact NASA contracts most of it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back