O'Rielly Microguard - No Startup Rattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil yesterday (late last night) in my Buick and dropped the new filter (Purolator classic) denting in the bottom of the can after I had already removed the old filter and drained the oil. It was 8pm and I needed another filter and my option was a short bike ride to O'Rielly's as it is the only parts store near my house.

I picked up the Orielly equivalent of a PF47 (now made by Fram). It said 94% efficient on the box (compared to Fram's 95%) and had the exploded cutaway showing the cardboard endcaps etc. I didn't really want to use it but other than a Fram there was no other option (out of AcDelcos and Wix).

I put it on thinking oh god what am I doing. Started the car up at the end and behold no startup rattle/clatter. Huh? The only filters that haven't caused the engine to make noise at startup are AcDelcos and Purolators.

Perhaps Fram got something right with these Orielly filters. Also unlike some posters have mentioned here, the filter was stamped made in the USA instead of made in Canada or China.

Guess you got a good ... you sure it was made by Fram?

I thought the Microguards were Purolators? No? The Microguard air filter on my car is made by purolator, I know because i went and bought a Purolator to replace it and lo and behold it was the exact same filter!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Guess you got a good ... you sure it was made by Fram?

They used to be Purolators and had an L prefix IIRC. The part numbers also matched with purolator and I believe it was marked on the box who they were made by.

The new ones all have Fram part numbers MG3387a and the cutaway exploded view of the filter is identical to that of Fram (as are the baseplates if you compare them to one another). No mention of who makes them, perhaps because of the Fram hate.

I believe the air filters are still Purolators as they appear identical to Purolator models including the black foam rubber gasket as opposed to the orange of the Frams.

Concerning startup noise. If your filter is at the very bottom of the engine,right where the oil pan meets the bottom of the engine block,and mounts upside down,is drainback not an issue or concern? To my knowledge,aren`t ADBV`s only pertinent if the oil filter mounts on the top portion of the engine,right side up,to where the oil filter can drain out and become emtpy after engine shutdown?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Concerning startup noise. If your filter is at the very bottom of the engine,right where the oil pan meets the bottom of the engine block,and mounts upside down,is drainback not an issue or concern? To my knowledge,aren`t ADBV`s only pertinent if the oil filter mounts on the top portion of the engine,right side up,to where the oil filter can drain out and become emtpy after engine shutdown?

ADBV's function no matter what direction the filter is oriented.

How long were you going to run this filter? Honestly, you can run any filter for anything close to a regular oil change interval (5k miles). It isn't going to make a difference, we aren't building a spaceship.

Unless you are only changing the oil once a year, or going for mega miles in between drains, your engine won't notice.

I put a Microguard (Fram) on my in-law's truck, and there hasn't been any issue. I don't think Fram are as bad as people say they are.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
I don't think Fram are as bad as people say they are.

What's really bad is the price. It's hard to convince me to buy a Fram for a dollar more than I can buy the equivalent Wix.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't think Fram are as bad as people say they are.

What's really bad is the price. It's hard to convince me to buy a Fram for a dollar more than I can buy the equivalent Wix.

I'm talking about the filter itself. The Microguard (Fram) comes out to about $1.99 with the Quaker State oil change special. It serve our purpose of short trips and short OCI.

I'm talking about the filter itself. The Microguard (Fram) comes out to about $1.99 with the Quaker State oil change special. It serve our purpose of short trips and short OCI.

At that price, sure. Finding a filter for $1.99 here is rather difficult. Every big box store or major chain in this country sells Fram almost exclusively. Those that do have other filters charge a nice premium for them.

In an apples to apples comparison however (excluding any oil change specials), the Fram loses, even up here. I get Wix cheaper and can get a Motorcraft for about a dollar extra.

From my perspective, I'm not standing in line at Walmart to pay more for a Fram than I can get a Wix for with no waiting.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401

Perhaps Fram got something right with these Orielly filters. Also unlike some posters have mentioned here, the filter was stamped made in the USA instead of made in Canada or China.

In the US, depending on the model, you'll see FRAM oil filters built both in the US and Canada. I haven't seen one made in China, but who knows. The FRAM oil filter for my car is built in Canada as is the OEM. Works just fine.

I work at O'reilly and am near 90% sure these are now Fram filters as opposed to Purolators as they used to be. We have had to completely switch our numbering system from purolator's to fram's. Also we had to watch a training video explaining the "benefits" to fiberboard endcap filter construction. All signs point to these being Fram's in a black suit . Should be ok for short OCI's but I wouldnt put them on my vehicles!

I was at Walmart, and needed a oil filter for my daughter's Cobalt. It takes a cartridge type filter. I looked at the Fram, and it was made in China. I'll pass. The AC Delco was made in Bangladesh or something like that. No thank you. The Super Tech was made in the USA! And the quality was just as good as the AC Delco by comparing them. I went with the Super Tech.

Originally Posted By: Thax
I work at O'reilly and am near 90% sure these are now Fram filters as opposed to Purolators as they used to be. We have had to completely switch our numbering system from purolator's to fram's. Also we had to watch a training video explaining the "benefits" to fiberboard endcap filter construction.

I'd like to hear what the "benefits" of fiberboard end caps are.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back