Opinions needed on oil filter selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, first post. So I have a 2006 Silverado z71 with the l33 5.3. Everyone knows the startup knock issues with this engine family. My last oil change I went to get a NAPA Gold and they were out so he gave me a Pro Select. Oil change was PYB 20% MMO, I still had the knock at start up. This time I made sure to try a Gold filter. This oil change was Castrol GTX 20% MMO (GTX was on sale) I have yet to notice any startup knock with this filter. I'm convinced it's the oil filter that solved the issue. The pro select having the combo valve vs the Gold not having the combo valve seems to have worked. I was wondering how you guys would rate the Napa Gold vs a Baldwin B31? I'm doing 20% MMO to see if it cleans things up before I switch to synthetic. Next OC will be Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30. Just looking for some opinions from you guys that know more than me. Thanks in advance

Why not just run the Pennzoil Ultra? If (and I stress, if) the engine is dirty, it will clean it up...

The filter made the difference, and the MMO? What purpose does it serve? how do you know the engine needs to be cleaned up?

I don't know for certain that the engine needs to be cleaned up. With it having 93k miles I was wanting to compare an oil change with the MMO to the previous oil changes.

I change oil on a 2000 5.3 (since 2004) and a 2004 5.3 (since 2006).

For me, it has been the oil that makes the difference, and not the filter.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I change oil on a 2000 5.3 (since 2004) and a 2004 5.3 (since 2006).

For me, it has been the oil that makes the difference, and not the filter.

what oil(s) have you had the best luck with?

Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
Well, Baldwin makes excellent filters too. Does it have the combo valve? If not, stick with the NAPA Gold (WIX, I think).

Both are good filters. I would also throw in Purolator 1 or the AC-Delco Classic filters (not the newer ecores!) I use the oversized PF-52s and they run great!

Best luck so far (2003 5.3L w/186,000+ miles):
Oils: Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, and Amsoil XL
Filters: Wix/Napa Gold, Mobil 1, K&N, and Purolator Synthetic

Start up noise usually is filter related, or too thick of oil. My Jeep has been picky about filters in that regard, if you find one that works there you have it.

Thanks guys, I guess I went all a.d.d. on the subject and was trying to make it too complicated. If something works I need to learn to stick with it instead of messing with it. I noticed the NG has a silicone ADBV as does the PureOne. I'm thinking it's just the cheap filter combo valve that is the biggest culprit. Next oc I may try a P1 just to see.

First - welcome to the site!

Next - it's my theory that the filter location and lube system design on the Vortec (do they still call them that?) engines causes high heat saturation, and compromises the nitrile ADBV. Hence, the knocking often associated with those engine/filter combonations. I cannot prove that; just an observation and my opinion. Whereas a filter with silicon ADBV seems to be able to resist the heat just a bit better. Using a filter with silicon ADBV in this case might ease your concerns. Not that I believe it's "needed", but if it makes you sleep better, so be it.

Finally - I would ask what your OCI maintenance plan is? Do you "need" a high end synthetic, or do you just want one? I seriously doubt the syn is going to make much difference in start up knock. If you are sticking to the OEM OCIs, then you're really wasting a lot of money where a quality dino oil would do as well. You're not get anywhere near the ROI in a normal OCI; that is NOT opinion, but factual and based upon many UOAs in vehicles similar to yours, as well as a broad range of UOAs across many industries. Synthetics are great products, but they are not a "one-size-fits-all" panecea that is "better" for everything. When used with the understanding of their advantages and limitations, they are useful tools; when not, they are a wasted resource.

Things to consider ...

Last edited:
I'm not planning on running the Pennzoil Ultra because I think I need a high end synthetic or just want one. It's because I already have 2 5 quart jugs from the warranty rebate. I'm not against using conventional oil at all, it is cheaper, unless there is a sale or promotion. I've considered using SuperTech full synthetic in the past. Seems to have some good things said about it on here. But like I said, the only reason I plan on using Pennz Ultra is it's just what I already have on hand.

After rebate the price was 2.54 for each jug. So that puts it right at 50 cents a quart. That's the only reason I bought the Pennz Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back