Old oil find at local Autozone

I've seen an (old..) API SL bottle of Mobil 1 being sold at a Walmart once. No clearance stickers or anything.

I've also seen a row of SAE 30 pennzoil bottles being sold at Atwoods, API SN. Had to be at best 2017 product or so, with dust all over them. They even had a "best by" date on them (yes, that's weird for a motor oil to have that.) that had passed by a year. Tried to show them these things and ask them if they would be willing to mark it down to their house brand price of $4. The employee wasn't too understanding, and said he couldn't do anything about the price either. I've got to assume that dates and current products/specs aren't something that the majority of customers dictate their purchases on, and I get that. But 6 years ought be long enough for you to figure out that their monograde customers clearly aren't paying a premium for a brand name--move it for shelf space that makes money. About a month later they were all gone, so maybe it clicked for someone there and they got moved, or they redistributed them to other stores.

I was in my local Autozone yesterday and saw something interesting: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 for sale...in a silver bottle,
SN rated, manufactured in June 2016.

It was on the shelf with the current bottles for the same excessive price as the new ones. I wonder how long they have
been trying to sell that bottle? I should have taken a picture.
I would use it in a lawn mower, ...........................

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Probably right
Well not enough at least. My az will mark down oil but it'll still be a dollar or more than at Walmart. Haven't bought oil in az in almost 2 years. Only once did they mark down their stp 15w-40 enough to be worth it. Was 11 so it's something.

Well not enough at least. My az will mark down oil but it'll still be a dollar or more than at Walmart. Haven't bought oil in az in almost 2 years. Only once did they mark down their stp 15w-40 enough to be worth it. Was 11 so it's something.
🤣🤣I have some STP 15w40 that was $7/gallon for recently. Some Autozones care about moving slow moving stuff; some don’t.

Back