Old HONDA almost too good to be true in Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
My sister had a 1986 CRX with the same engine / 5 speed trans.

Those were sweet!!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: andrewg

The 80's Honda's were exceptional when compared to the other cars of that automotive decade. Same for most of the Toyota's. That was the decade that Americans realized the polar differences in reliability vs. American cars. It was also the time period that American automakers got a clue about what junk they were producing and had better get up to the reliability of Japanese vehicles.

I've owned a few Honda's of that period and one Toyota. All were superb vehicles and ran like a top. My late '80's Accord had 225K miles on when I sold it (running perfectly) to a friend at work. My same year Toyota pickup was also fantastic.

It's still surprises how the mere mention of Honda or Toyota and reliability can still raise the ire of others. In reality they should be thanked for pulling the rest of the automotive industry out of the clunker period through tough and reliable competition.

That's some Bravo Sierra right there. Lots of rose colored glasses people have. Let's just say I owned 2 80's era American cars - both made it on the original drivetrains to 175k and 150k. Neither had drivetrain issues either - were retired or traded for other reasons.

Early Hondas and Toyotas had issues as well - just that their owners thought that poop didn't stink and glossed over them.

Had Ford and GM produced the "junk" that they are portrayed as making they wouldn't have had the sales they did back then. People don't tend to buy things they have poor experiences with.

It's funny how the mention that a Honda or Toyota is "average" or "poor" raises the ire of some.

You've provided a perfect example of the "ire" I mentioned in my previous post.

To deny that American cars went through a tough period where low quality and reliability were well known...is an example of ignoring facts. No, not every american car of the '80's was junk...especially the late '80's...but the main reason American automakers were forced to improve WAS the asian auto market and the reliability/quality/efficiency over most American models.

This isn't about patriotism or flag waving either.

Plenty of Japanese cars that didn't hold up well during that time period. The 1980s S-10 was an excellent truck, the Cavalier an excellent car that would hold up along with the best Japan had to offer. I don't think flag waving had anything to do with any of my purchases ever. It had everything to do with keeping fellow Americans working. This is something every American should be concerned about, but the "all about me" crowd doesn't really care.

If an American car company doesn't make a vehicle I like for whatever reason, I would be doing the worker, and our American ideal of competition to produce the best product the customer desires, a disservice. I do not buy something because it employs more or less Americans.

Your cars are made with more foreign parts than some Japanese branded cars. You need to do some research instead of being overly concerned for the American worker.

Oh....and the S10 was a complete piece of junk compared to what Toyota was putting out at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back