Old Glory on a utility pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: whip
Also, a flag flown at night is supposed to be properly lit.

Yes, that is Federal law

Federal suggestion would be more appropriate. Never enforced.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
UC IRVINE STUDENT: US FLAG BANNED TO AVOID ‘TRIGGERING’ HURT FEELINGS AMONG ILLEGALS

American flag banned.

California officials stated that Americans must adapt to the illegals because they have right and we must honor those rights.

My neighbor's son was expelled from UCI for the day because he was wearing an American Flag pin on his shirt lapel. He transferred to another university.

We are living in an insane asylum and the politicians are the gate keepers. And worst of all we enabled them.

Do you really think you can post an article and then outright LIE about it? If you're going to make up things, at least have the decency to not post your source and make someone go look for it.

Quote:
California officials stated that Americans must adapt to the illegals because they have right and we must honor those rights.

Where in this article did it state this? Please, enlighten us.

The group in question is the ASUCI, a student group. Their group legislation (again, comprised only of students, not representatives of UCI or the State of California) voted to remove their American flag from their own building.

Where are the "California officials" in this story and where is this statement you say occurred? Heck, the article even says UCI administration disagreed with the student group's decision.

The article then says the decision was reversed by the group's executive leadership (which probably DID include individuals from the university).

367423634299.gif

Quote:
We are living in an insane asylum and the politicians are the gate keepers. And worst of all we enabled them.

See, I have a different outlook on this. We are living in an insane asylum where individuals can mold stories to fit their false narratives and then attempt to spew it back as fact.

Of course, it's from Breitbart too, with such gems as:
Quote:
A student who spoke with Breitbart News on condition of anonymity that she heard a member of the ASUCI discussing “the [American] flag and how it triggered people.” She then said she believed a major line of reasoning behind the legislation to remove the flag could have been a “precautionary step” to prevent a trigger situation where if someone is an “illegal citizen or [they] have citizenship issues, it makes them feel bad.

This counts as journalism? An unidentified student heard from someone else who was discussing something. This unnamed student then believed that the reasoning of this discussion was :insert opinion here:. The unnamed student's next line was likely, "Dude, where's my car?"... but that was omitted from the story.

You actually believe this trash? You believe shoddy journalism, then make up your own addition to the story, then post LIES? smh

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
UC IRVINE STUDENT: US FLAG BANNED TO AVOID ‘TRIGGERING’ HURT FEELINGS AMONG ILLEGALS

American flag banned.

My neighbor's son was expelled from UCI for the day because he was wearing an American Flag pin on his shirt lapel. He transferred to another university.

Do you really think you can post an article and then outright LIE about it? If you're going to make up things, at least have the decency to not post your source and make someone go look for it.

Quote:

The group in question is the ASUCI, a student group. Their group legislation (again, comprised only of students, not representatives of UCI or the State of California) voted to remove their American flag from their own building.

Where are the "California officials" in this story and where is this statement you say occurred? Heck, the article even says UCI administration disagreed with the student group's decision.

The article then says the decision was reversed by the group's executive leadership (which probably DID include individuals from the university).

367423634299.gif

Quote:

See, I have a different outlook on this. We are living in an insane asylum where individuals can mold stories to fit their false narratives and then attempt to spew it back as fact.

Quote:
A student who spoke with Breitbart News on condition of anonymity that she heard a member of the ASUCI discussing “the [American] flag and how it triggered people.” She then said she believed a major line of reasoning behind the legislation to remove the flag could have been a “precautionary step” to prevent a trigger situation where if someone is an “illegal citizen or [they] have citizenship issues, it makes them feel bad.

This counts as journalism? An unidentified student heard from someone else who was discussing something. This unnamed student then believed that the reasoning of this discussion was :insert opinion here:. The unnamed student's next line was likely, "Dude, where's my car?"... but that was omitted from the story.

You actually believe this trash? You believe shoddy journalism, then make up your own addition to the story, then post LIES? smh

The point is, it happens all across the nation these days...someone gets offended by the American flag and down it comes....there's no thought about being disrespectful to the flag, or what it stands for, everything is all about "we can't have anyone being offended by anything, and if they are, the offensive thing must be removed no matter what it is"....the sissification going on in our country these days is sickening...

I'm not sure if you guys are being open to the flipside to this though.

But keep in mind when the "border militia" folk take up the US flag and open carry their rifles and guns and go around pretending to be law enforcement and bothering folks who they THINK look like illegals.

I think around cinco de mayo, this argument was rehashed when boys in high school did the same thing when they purposely organized to wear american flags on a planned cinco de mayo student celebration. At least that was a real story.

That's not cool and their intent was to be offensive, but they were not only a-holes but being cowards by hiding their message of hate behind the "i'm just being patriotic" line.

If you're on the said that "on shouldn't be offended", then you're basically sticking up for all the a-holes who will use co-opt and stealing your symbol to mean something else, but tacitly pulling you into agreeing with their cause.

ref: westboro baptist church. If they just carry around the flag does that then make their disgusting hateful speech OK in your book?
If the KKK wears around flags and uses it when they go as their symbol to lynch people then you're OK with it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

American flag banned.

Quote:

367423634299.gif

Quote:

Quote:

YOu can start here. I know that liberals live in a different world and name calling at a distance where your health is not at risk is UOP but try some of this

Students at UC Irvine vote to ban American flag | Fox News
www.foxnews.com/.../students-at-uc-irvine-vote-to-ba...
Fox News Channel
Mar 7, 2015 - Students at the University of California, Irvine have voted to make their school a more “culturally inclusive” place by banning the American flag.
Student council vetoes American flag ban - CNN.com
www.cnn.com/.../feat-uc-irvine-student-council-ban-american-flag/
CNN
Mar 8, 2015 - American flag ban vetoed by student leaders at University of California at Irvine ... Legislative Council of University of California-Irvine's student body ... they will refuse to hire UCI students or that the generous donations of our ...
At UC Irvine, some say furor over attempted U.S. flag ban is ...
www.latimes.com/local/.../la-me-0311-uci-flag-20150...
Los Angeles Times
Mar 11, 2015 - The American flag once again hangs on the wall of the UC Irvine student government center, days after a student government decision to ban ...
UC Irvine Student: US Flag Banned to Avoid 'Triggering ...
www.breitbart.com/california/.../student-u-s-flag-banned-to-avoi...
Breitbart
Mar 8, 2015 - A student who spoke with Breitbart News on condition of anonymity that she heard a member of the ASUCI discussing "the [American] flag and ...
You visited this page on 6/29/15.
Update on ASUCI Legislation R50-70 | ASUCI
www.asuci.uci.edu/flag/
University of California, Irvine
Mar 12, 2015 - Irvine, Calif., March 10, 2015 – Earlier today UC Irvine officials received a ... for a ban of all national flags in the lobby of student government offices. ... Regardless of your opinion on the display of the American flag, we must be ...
University of California Irvine Flag Flap Continues - US News
www.usnews.com/.../university-of-california-...
U.S. News & World Report
Mar 9, 2015 - The American flag had hung on a wall in the student government suite. A few ... UC Irvine Student Cabinet Vetoes Flag Ban Passed by Student ...
UC Irvine Student Leaders Veto Ban on American Flag ...
www.nbclosangeles.com/.../local/Orange-County-University-Stude...
KNBC
Mar 8, 2015 - UC Irvine student leaders on Saturday vetoed a resolution that banned the American flag from being displayed in the lobby of the student ...
California student group bans American flag from lobby
www.msn.com/en.../california...bans-american-flag.../ar-AA9vm3X
MSN
Mar 7, 2015 - ... of California, Irvine has voted to ban display of the American flag — or ... "state-funded universities and college campuses from banning the ...
UC Irvine Student Government Bans National Flags From ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../uc-irvine-ban-flag_n_6...
The Huffington Post
Mar 6, 2015 - UC Irvine Student Government Bans National Flags From Campus Areas ... are still flying at UC Irvine," alongside a picture of the American flag.
Califonia student group bans American flag from lobby ...
college.usatoday.com/.../califonia-student-group-bans-american-flag-fro...
Mar 7, 2015 - ... of California, Irvine has voted to ban display of the American flag - or any flag ... UC Irvine meeting on flag ban canceled by threats of violence ...

To make my point which I did not is that the story is not that the ban went into effect but that they even considered it and made public statements to that effect.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

But keep in mind when the "border militia" folk take up the US flag and open carry their rifles and guns and go around pretending to be law enforcement and bothering folks who they THINK look like illegals.

I think around cinco de mayo, this argument was rehashed when boys in high school did the same thing when they purposely organized to wear american flags on a planned cinco de mayo student celebration. At least that was a real story.

That's not cool and their intent was to be offensive, but they were not only a-holes but being cowards by hiding their message of hate behind the "i'm just being patriotic" line.

If you're on the said that "on shouldn't be offended", then you're basically sticking up for all the a-holes who will use co-opt and stealing your symbol to mean something else, but tacitly pulling you into agreeing with their cause.

ref: westboro baptist church. If they just carry around the flag does that then make their disgusting hateful speech OK in your book?
If the KKK wears around flags and uses it when they go as their symbol to lynch people then you're OK with it?

So what if they purposely wore shirts with American flags on them? I don't care what their intent was, anytime any American is chastised or punished in America for wearing an American flag, that's wrong. If the American flag offends you (and I don't care what day it is or what's being celebrated), then you shouldn't be in this country, and neither should the people catering to the complaining crybabies...

He's in Michigan,for some reason they have an affinity for anything that spits on America.

Well intentioned gesture, but most likely an unintentionally disrespectful display, kind of like wearing Old Glory on your t-shirt with the sole intention to cause trouble.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Well intentioned gesture, but most likely an unintentionally disrespectful display, kind of like wearing Old Glory on your t-shirt with the sole intention to cause trouble.

If wearing Old Glory on a T-shirt causes a problem, the problem isn't with the person wearing the flag...the problem lies with those who find it offensive...like I said, if anyone finds our flag offensive, then that person or persons shouldn't be living in this country...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

If wearing Old Glory on a T-shirt causes a problem, the problem isn't with the person wearing the flag...the problem lies with those who find it offensive...like I said, if anyone finds our flag offensive, then that person or persons shouldn't be living in this country...

Offensive if you consider that it goes against the flag code and showing due respect for what our flag stands for:

http://www.legion.org/flag/code

§ 8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkin or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Grampi, do you think that wadding up that T-shirt and laundering it with one's dirty underwear is respectful?

I find T shirts made out of the flag to be offensive. Its a symbol of our country not a bloody advertising tool.

Some things should be respected and have a bit of tradition behind them.

Interesting flying the flag upside down is an old distress signal. Though I suspect if you did it today on a vessel very few people would understand what it meant.

Last edited:

So what if they purposely wore shirts with American flags on them? I don't care what their intent was, anytime any American is chastised or punished in America for wearing an American flag, that's wrong. If the American flag offends you (and I don't care what day it is or what's being celebrated), then you shouldn't be in this country, and neither should the people catering to the complaining crybabies...

OOPS, beat me to it. Oh well...

Do you care about federal law regarding displaying the flag grampi? Interesting reading. There are lots of ways the American Flag should not be used or displayed.

US CODE TITLE 4 Chapter 1:

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

There is no flip side to this I need to be open to. This is the United States. There should be no restrictions on flying our flag because it might offend someone. Especially not if it offends immigrants/illegals.

I could give a flying flip if anyone was offended that some wore American Flag pins on Cinco De Mayo. This is the US not Mexico. If you want to celebrate a Mexican holiday without any US flags then go to Mexico and do it.

If seeing the American flag, while in the United States, offends you then perhaps you need to rethink your choice of where you are living.

Good lord. What has happened to our country.

Last edited:

Well said!

I know about the code where you are not supposed to use the flag in clothing the others are talking of above but that isn't the kind of offense people take to the flag you and I are talking about. WE are talking about being offended by it period.

I also have to admit I do not find that code about clothing and the flag to make any sense as long as it is done respectfully. If someone wants to wear clothing with the flag on it because they are proud of their country I can't find fault with it. Sorry. I don't see the issue. I have a shirt with the flag I wear on the 4th. Proud to do so.

Last edited:
I don't think you are trying to kill a lineman, but if you called in a problem, and your flag was in the way, would you take it down? If that is a problem for you, don't call.

NMHEMI, what does it matter whether you or I find fault with a shirt with an American Flag on it? Our opinion doesn't matter, the flag code says it's disrespectful. I especially like the bikers with the stars & stripes on their head and the tattered little flag flying out back. As far as people being upset about the American Flag on a Mexican holiday, tough.

We want to fly the Flag proudly but don't want to follow the rules showing it respect. Can't have it both ways. Yes, I do my best to show the Flag respect.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
NMHEMI, what does it matter whether you or I find fault with a shirt with an American Flag on it? Our opinion doesn't matter, the flag code says it's disrespectful. I especially like the bikers with the stars & stripes on their head and the tattered little flag flying out back. As far as people being upset about the American Flag on a Mexican holiday, tough.

We want to fly the Flag proudly but don't want to follow the rules showing it respect. Can't have it both ways. Yes, I do my best to show the Flag respect.

I show the flag a lot of respect. I actually just participated in a flag retirement ceremony where US flags are properly disposed of by burning. I will help dispose of the ashes at sea next week. If I saw someone trashing the flag you can bet I would take steps to stop it.

I just don't feel that having it on clothing as long as it is respectful is a major sin despite it not being proper flag etiquette. I just can't get behind that sorry. My view doesn't matter as far as etiquette goes, you are correct, but I am not going to lose sleep over someone having a flag shirt when it is worn to show pride in the US.

I love some of you guys...

We all preach patriotism differently. If some absent minded student body wants to debate something which we all know will start and end in their local area let it. Freedom cannot be contained and certainly not afforded to only the oldies who view the US flag as the only legitimate one on the planet.

So what if a small community celebrates a national holiday that is not of the US? You do know why they came here? Freedom...freedom from a police state, or despotism/communism. Just because they celebrate something that more than likely has a religious or emotional reason associated with it we are soon to send them packing.

So some good ol' boys decided to wear US Flags on their shirts. Perfectly in their right to do so in a respectful manner but to enrage or otherwise add friction for whatever reason however minute then they are totally in the wrong. The flag is not weapon to breed hate and misunderstanding. If anything they should have asked for Mexican flags because had the battle of Puebla gone south. The US would be a FAR different place. Be proud of both, celebrate the fact you live a free country and the fact that Mexico was not overtaken by the French.

This brings up something I saw at a gas station in PA near Harrisburg on our return trip from TX. A pickup truck with a large Confederate Flag mounted on the back. Now the said the individual could be a southern transplant or just some kid identifying with the "rebel ideal". I hope he only feels that and not some misguided attempt at thinking anything involving the Civil War was about anything other than abolishing slavery. The south was not in the right and never will be but they did what good dissenting American would do. Said no this will kill our method of producing goods/money and will likely send us all to the poor house. They weren't ready for such an abrupt shift in economy and took to arms just the 13 colonies did with taxes.

Now as this all raced through my mind because I found his way of displaying it offensive just I would if it was a US flag. It is not a toy for your car window or the back of your truck. However I was tired and not in any mood to educate a child.

Nothing wrong with displaying your love for your country but don't use the US flag as a shield to breed hate & ignorance. People do not have to love it or leave. The whole point about the US is to have a dissenting opinion about something without being shot at for sedition.

I think some of you get a little to hardcore about that aspect. Sure I hate it when I see a Puerto Rico or Mexico flag being flown with no US flag in sight but honestly would good would do being the flag police? I just make sure I am doing it properly, for myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back