OK to go with 1 year OCI with conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I dont have a problem with yearly changes on conventional the Nissan V6 has a reputation of being hard on oil. 6,000 miles would likely be a all right if most of the mileage was on those 30 mile trips. Not so much if its mostly on the 5 mile trips.

Why not just buy a name brand synthetic when its on sale and remove all doubt?

I am wondering why the synthetic recommendations? Synth is better for cold starts (N/A in the Bay area), high temps, and protects better for things like heavy duty towing, extended drains, etc, right? At only 6k annual miles, why not go conventional?

Originally Posted By: Ram01
no conventional may not protect that motor to the fullest. use a good syn. like qsud 10w30.
Any proof that conventional oil does not protect motors to the fullest ?

Originally Posted By: 90Notch
Is it ok to go with a yearly OCI on conventional oil if I'm only driving the car 6000 miles a year? The car a 1999.5 pathfinder with the 3.3L with 111,xxx miles.

Thanks in advance!

If your crankcase is not being contaminated by fuel or antifreeze. 1Y/6K should be fine.

But only a UOA will verify that. So if you do not get your used oil tested, then I would recommend every six months for the oil and once-a-year oil filter change. After draining your oil at six months, remove the oil filter - dump it's contents - then oil the gasket and reinstall it.

I went and changed the oil today, about 7 months since the last change and 3300 miles later. Came out a bit dark but couldn't see any debris. Ran a cocktail mixture of all 5w30 consisting of 1 Quart Mobil 1, 1 Quart Valvoline conventional(leftover from previous case), and about 1.8 quarts of Castrol GTX. I figure I've got sort of a semi-synthetic blend in there so it's at least as good if not better protection than my last change which was solely on conventional.

I had a leftover Fram filter from a oil/filter deal from Kragen so I decided to use it (yeah I know most people hate them). I figure I'm only going to run it for 3000 miles (6 months) and I've personally never had issues with fram although the last few years I've solely been using Wix.

Last edited:
How bad is pushing the manufacturer's interval?

Sis' '03 volvo 2 litre turbo is on 9300 miles on my favorite Semi Synth 5w30. Volvo rec'ds 7500 mile OCI (it has a large 6 litre+ oil capacity). Warranty not a concern, I'm pretty sure there's none left.

I do notice doesn't start as smooth anymore as when the oil is fresh.

Anyone here with tales of pushing the manufacturer's recd'n? What are your thoughts on degree of urgency? tia

I do. I have four other vehicles that get driven limited miles in a year, usually less than 3,000 miles. I use PYB and change once a year on these vehicles and have had no ill effects.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
How bad is pushing the manufacturer's interval?

Sis' '03 volvo 2 litre turbo is on 9300 miles on my favorite Semi Synth 5w30. Volvo rec'ds 7500 mile OCI (it has a large 6 litre+ oil capacity). Warranty not a concern, I'm pretty sure there's none left.

I do notice doesn't start as smooth anymore as when the oil is fresh.

Anyone here with tales of pushing the manufacturer's recd'n? What are your thoughts on degree of urgency? tia

If the engine is not running as well then I would change it immediately. If you want to stretch out the interval Amsoil has their SSO line which advertises 25000 mile interval,or mobil 1's EP line which claims 15000 miles.
I suggest arming yourself with as much info as possible before running an oil for 25000 miles,since Amsoil does have loopholes such as needing to use Amsoil branded oil filters and adhering to their filter change schedule.
Pennzoil platinum is generally accepted as able to do 10k mile drains,and we have a member here named tig who uses regular Mobil 1 in whatever flavour his engine needs for 10k mile drains and has been since the 70's and he states no problems at all in his fords.
Oil choice and drain intervals are application dependent so define your driving style,establish a safe mileage for drains with the lube you've chosen by getting a few uoa done and enjoy maintaining your vehicle less

With dino oil, just change every 5k miles regardless of time. With syn blend, I would change once a year at your 6k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back