Oil type/interval for a ambulance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil delvac1 le5w30
Rotella t6 0w40
Why!they ll probably need to hammer it when engine is cold (like at night in winter)
Amzoil would be even better but but you ll have to tell your buddy to call amzoil because ambulance need are way outside the box .taxi give oil a hard time but Ambulance is on another level.but for that i would favor t6 0w40.it is one of the best if not the best diesel oil shell make.

Ambulance, cop, or fire vehicles need to have their OCI's based on engine hours and not mileage. You know, like ag and construction equipment is done. On my commercial vehicles, I utilize both mile and hours. Whichever one gets to the limit I have set first, then the oil gets changed.

The London Ambulance service used 10w40 or 15w40 Castrol GTX at 3k miles or 6weeks on the LDVs with the Rover V8 3.5 lump, originally a Buick design i believe.

That was fine for at least 10/15 yrs.

They tried to extend to the manufacturers interval on the Mercedes Sprinters (2.7 5 cylinder diesel) when they started to upgrade the fleet.

There were apparently some failures of bottom ends and turbos at low mileages, we had one on my station that used knock under load, started at less than 5k miles.

Pretty soon they went back to 3k/6weeks on them aswell.

There was a rumour that they put the GTX in the Sprinters but i can't confirm or deny that.

I know they use full synth of some kind now more than likely Castrol Magnatec or Edge.

LAS has used the 3k/6 weeks for many years now and the Ambulance fleet is around the 3/400 mark, with another 2/300 Rapid Response cars and a few ST1100s and ST1300 for good measure.

Another reason for the interval size is that they do a safety check aswell, including stripping and cleaning the brakes each time.

One thing that rarely went on the Ambulances was engines.

Many of the old LDV V8 Ambulances have been in Cuba for many years and a few went to Mongolia.

If you see any old white RHD Ambulances in either place making a V8 burble give it a wave.

They had 200/300k on the clock when they were donated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back